directv 4k

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gib4500

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ohio
I have the 4k service from directv I think it is steller. I just wish they had more channels in 4k. Has their been in updates lately of more 4k coming out? Any channels going full time 4k? I seen their showing the michagan notre dame game in 4k Saturday.

I have the 4k service from directv I think it is steller. I just wish they had more channels in 4k. Has their been in updates lately of more 4k coming out? Any channels going full time 4k? I seen their showing the michagan notre dame game in 4k Saturday.
Nothing has been announced that I've heard of.

Looking like full Notre Dame schedule from NBC and one FS1 game each week for college football.

A few games overflow to channel 105 including MLB game tonight.

Getting better, but a long way to go. Really wish more stations would take the leap, particularly NFL.

Michigan is in 4K week one and two - Awesome!

Reactions: longhorn23
Looks like there may be an MLB game on 4k channels right now ... I don't have any 4k, so I can't check.

Just happened to look and see something on at the moment.

Watched on a new Samsung with HDR+. As usual I thought the picture was brighter with better contrast and more pop on the national NBC feed. I say as usual because this has been the case for 2 years watching on a Sony and a new P series Vizio.

Watched on a new Samsung with HDR+. As usual I thought the picture was brighter with better contrast and more pop on the national NBC feed. I say as usual because this has been the case for 2 years watching on a Sony and a new P series Vizio.
I'm probably missing what your saying here, but are you saying that the NBC feed in HD looks better than the 4k version ?

I'm hoping we get NFL in 4K this year. I haven't seen anything, but cant imagine that HBO 4K or even ESPN 4k cant be too far out. Were getting to a new refresh cycle where older HDTV sets will start to be upgraded. I'm waiting until ATSC 3.0 Tuners are out before I upgrade my Samsung HU8550. I'm right on the edge for Phoenix locals and am hoping that I will be able to pick up the ATSC 3.0 channel in Phoenix better on the edge of the broadcast market.

I am surprised ESPN is not available in 4K yet. All their in studio stuff is done in 4K and has been done that way for a few years now.

Except for any cable carried games it wouldn't make sense for CBS/NBC/FOX to upgrade their mobile rigs yet since nobody would be able to see the games in 4K.
Most of FOX's NFL games are shot in 4K. (though not sent out in 4K)

Except for any cable carried games it wouldn't make sense for CBS/NBC/FOX to upgrade their mobile rigs yet since nobody would be able to see the games in 4K.

It wouldn’t be hard to divert a mobile rig that’s already in 4K to do an NFL game in 4k. FOX or NBC would be the ones to do it. The rigs have been getting upgraded like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Directv would carry it in a heartbeat. I could also see NBC doing it on the SNF broadcast.

I'm hoping we get NFL in 4K this year. I haven't seen anything, but cant imagine that HBO 4K or even ESPN 4k cant be too far out.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an ESPN 4K channel anytime soon. Even ignoring their financial difficulties from cord cutting (since they lose about $8 per cord cutter, far more than other channels) ESPN/ABC hasn't done a single 4K broadcast yet. Meanwhile Fox, NBC and CBS have been doing events for around two years now. I have to think there's a pretty good sized learning curve for them, and ESPN isn't going to be able to just go straight from nothing to a channel. They'd have to do some 4K games here and there for at least a year, perhaps more, before they were ready.

Though to be honest I think they're probably more worried about getting ESPN+ running well since they will make money off it. 4K will only cost them money, it isn't going to make them a penny, so I can't imagine it is a high priority for them.

Reactions: TheRatPatrol
Directv would carry it in a heartbeat. I could also see NBC doing it on the SNF broadcast.

Unless DIRECTV found a way to insert all the local ads that the local stations would have into the 4K feed it's not going to happen, the locals won't allow it.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an ESPN 4K channel anytime soon. Even ignoring their financial difficulties from cord cutting (since they lose about $8 per cord cutter, far more than other channels) ESPN/ABC hasn't done a single 4K broadcast yet. Meanwhile Fox, NBC and CBS have been doing events for around two years now. I have to think there's a pretty good sized learning curve for them, and ESPN isn't going to be able to just go straight from nothing to a channel. They'd have to do some 4K games here and there for at least a year, perhaps more, before they were ready.

Though to be honest I think they're probably more worried about getting ESPN+ running well since they will make money off it. 4K will only cost them money, it isn't going to make them a penny, so I can't imagine it is a high priority for them.

I guess I am one of the few to see studio shows like Sportscenter in glorious full uncompressed 4K. :D

Of course I was sitting in the studio and control room. But it none the less was in 4K. :D

Unless DIRECTV found a way to insert all the local ads that the local stations would have into the 4K feed it's not going to happen, the locals won't allow it.

Yep, the reason we're paying $10/month for locals is because the local stations are paying billions to the networks and most of it is sports rights. They won't tolerate having a 4K version of games they carry run without compensation.

I think we are years away from seeing NFL games in 4K for that reason. We'll be able to see college games no one cares about like Houston vs Rice in 4K years before we can see a Sunday afternoon NFL game in 4K.

This applies doubly so for the Super Bowl.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)