DirecTv and Dish Network Comparisons

Also can include as exclusives for D* the following:
FuelTV, TVG, NBAtv, FSN Prime Ticket, MASN, YES Network

No, Dish has NBA TV, in the Sports package and also included in Americas Everything. Dish also have TVG as a standard channel (405).

Hello, I am about to purchase a satellite dish and am having trouble choosing between DirecTV and Dish Network? It appears as though Dish Network has many more cool HD channels including Monster HD and all of the Voom channels? Are these availiable on DirecTV? If not will they be when DirecTV launches its additional HD channels this year? I'm having a lot of trouble choosing which dish is right for me and would greatly appreciate any guidance that could be offered.

Hey AttyJeffK76,

Your questions cannot be answered until D* new sats are up and running.

If you cannot wait until then, you might consider finding a local retailer/installer that offers a 30 day trial service where you can return all equipment for a refund if you are not satisfied.

Good Luck.

NBR (repeat record function)

A few questions to compare this function on current DVR's for the two services:

1. How accurate/intelligent is the episode selection?
2. Will either accurately pick new episodes in the correct order?
3. Some DVR's limit the number of record requests. Does the NBR request count as a single request?
4. When the guide is updated, does the repeat-record function get updated immediately... or at least very soon?
5. Some shows (as you all know) will repeat the same new episodes multiple times in the same week. How is this handled, if at all?
6. If a change in schedule conflicts with another current request, what happens?
7. Can you do TBR on a system that offers NBR?

NBR is not a trivial problem. Just wondering which service does the better job.

Last edited:
Hey dfergie or anyone who would like to help!

I'm new to Satelliteguys and wanted to ask you since you have both services, which do you perfer? Do you like one better or do you like them about the same. I'm having a tough time deciding which one to go to. E* everthing is free & D* will cost me around $300 to go to. Monthly sub, D* is a little less, especially if I bundle with Verizon. I live in the Seattle area, and know D* has almost all my locals in HD except the CW.

D* has a 2 year agreement, E* you can pay to wave it.

Lastly, D* has all the HD channels coming, but I don't think E* will let D* get too far ahead of them.

Thought I pick everyones brains on this. Any thoughts and other pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in ADVACE to everyone!

Eric

First off :welcome scifilaser

It depends on what you like. If you are a big sports fan then it's Directv hands down. Otherwise it can be a pick and choose one. Both have lots of stuff to pick and choose as far as HD.

Hey dfergie or anyone who would like to help!

I'm new to Satelliteguys and wanted to ask you since you have both services, which do you perfer? Do you like one better or do you like them about the same. I'm having a tough time deciding which one to go to. E* everthing is free & D* will cost me around $300 to go to. Monthly sub, D* is a little less, especially if I bundle with Verizon. I live in the Seattle area, and know D* has almost all my locals in HD except the CW.

D* has a 2 year agreement, E* you can pay to wave it.

Lastly, D* has all the HD channels coming, but I don't think E* will let D* get too far ahead of them.

Thought I pick everyones brains on this. Any thoughts and other pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in ADVACE to everyone!

Eric
Just saw this, Welcome to the site! :) Right now I prefer Dishnetwork as they have more HD programming and I love the HDD archiving... I have yet to upgrade my Mpeg2 Direct receivers as I am waiting to see how their new channels shake out... but I keep Direct as I get the SD Distants (grandfathered in) right now Dishnetwork Subs in your area need a bigger dish to keep from losing the 129 satellite(which is slated for replacement)...

Thxs again to you both for the input. I'm leaning towards D* as they 4 of the 5 networks. Hoping they'll get the CW soon, gotta have "Smallville" & "Supernatural" in HD. Luckily that's one local I can get via an ariel!:p

Don, you list HBO Latino as exclusive on E*, D* has it on 511 and has for a long time. And if you include the HD version, since D* doesn't have it on SD, they also have Stars Kids and Family.

Also not sure you have a HD section under the HD Exclusive section on E* and list a number of channels that D* does have, like Starz HD, A&E HD, NTGHD, FOD, HGHD.

In the channel chart, FSN Cincinnati HD is part time on 638-1, and FSN Ohio HD part time on 637-1, FSN South part time on 630-1, NHL-HD 764-1 through 776-1, FSN Bay Area Part Time 654-1 FSN Utha Part time 646-1, FSN Wisconsin HD Part time 642-1 Sports South Part time 631-1

On the D* receiver section need to add the H21 receiver

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts