DirecTV and FiOS National HD Comparison

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I created a spreadsheet in Excel comparing FiOS National HD and DirecTV National HD. I did not include the sports packages however. Click the excel link or the image link to view.

Attachments

• FiOS Direct Chart.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 571
  • Direct Fios Char.jpg
    Direct Fios Char.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4,243
Nice! Now if we can only get D* to add more premiums and locals. I'll take SD at this point! I'd like to see that side by side! But it most likly would only make me mad!

I created a spreadsheet in Excel comparing FiOS National HD and DirecTV National HD. I did not include the sports packages however. Click the excel link or the image link to view.

Please update to add the new HD channels added by DirecTV this week. FYI, contrary to TVBob, there were NO NEW HD additions for FiOS to add to your chart.

Oh God - ARGH! Is that what all the hoopla is about FiOS? Yuck, I threw up in my mouth a little! Thank God they have their ISP biz to rely on!

Does anyone ever wonder just how many of these Directv HD channels are true HD? I see alot of people concerned more about the "quantity" and not the "quality". Sure Directv has Dish, Fois and cable beat in quantity. I wish there was a way of knowing which programs are actually filmed in HD. :( I would venture to guess, not near as many as people think.

Does anyone ever wonder just how many of these Directv HD channels are true HD? I see alot of people concerned more about the "quantity" and not the "quality". Sure Directv has Dish, Fois and cable beat in quantity. I wish there was a way of knowing which programs are actually filmed in HD. :( I would venture to guess, not near as many as people think.

Well in that respect it becomes a provider issue; not the respective retrans company; Dish, FiOS, DirecTV, etc. Regardless of if those chnls show 1, 10 or all programs in HD, I want them available on my service to see that 1, 10, or all.

As far as quality, Directv has everyone beat.. These channels are in Full rez hd with some of the best bitrate's I have seen in a while.

As far as quality, Directv has everyone beat.. These channels are in Full rez hd with some of the best bitrate's I have seen in a while.

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that everything listed in the EPG as "HD" is actually filmed in HD? If so...you're dreaming. Take a closer look. It's surprising how many people think that just because it fills the screen that it's HD.

The best thing about the FiOS national HD channels is that you don't have to pay extra for them. They are included in the Premier package. If only Dish and DirecTV would do that.

The best thing about the FiOS national HD channels is that you don't have to pay extra for them. They are included in the Premier package. If only Dish and DirecTV would do that.

Well guess how much one would pay Fios each month if he needs 4 HDDVR's? There a diffrent ways to charge a fee. There is no doubt Fios has the price advantage with bundling and if you don't need a lot of HDDVR's. That does not change the fact that they have far less HD's than DirecTV. Not to mention most people dont have Fios HD available to them.

Where is Questioner when you need him? He was in the DirecTV forum earlier complaining that this forum has too little traffic for his supposed chart proving Fios's HD superiority. He also said he was negotiating a place to post his chart on another board, what he failed to mention was he was banned from that site in 2006.

Don't forget ,Not everyone cares about HD, HD is growing ,Yes, but still not the number one reason someone choses a provider!. There way more SD customers then HD! Just keep that in mind!

Yes there are way more SD customers than HD customers, but this year for the first time HD will sell more NEW TVs than SD. What that means is that getting a new HD sub is important NOW - it keeps them locked in for a while, they tend to have much lower churn, they spend more per month, have a higher percentage of DVRS, etc.

That is why virtually EVERY ad for EVERY provider features HD. Not everyone cares, but new HD subs are the future for ALL the providers.