DirecTV and FiOS National HD Comparison

Actually they currently broadcast 50 or so channels in analog CATV format (well, at least in my area) which means you can simply plug the coax from the ont right into your tv and get those channels. However, this is soon to change due to the huge amount of space the analog channels take. This is why they lack HD right now.

If that is the case, they will have as a long way to go as the cablecos to reach the level of the HDs DirecTV has now, and let's remember DirecTV can reach 150 HDs soon, even DISH will reach 100+ HD very soon.

Updated chart and channel numbers for FiOS. The red asterisk channels represent channels that are available in only a few selected markets (most markets still do not have these channels). Also updated the channel numbering.

FiOSDirectChart.jpg

Attachments

• Copy of FiOS Direct Chart.xls
    27 KB · Views: 247
Can anyone comment on whether the FIOS SD PQ is sufficient to compete with the D* non-HD HD channels.

FIOS would appear to offer a much better value on their premium movie plexes.

standard disclaimer: in the infinitesimal service area that FIOS provides.

All they need to do is provide my area with 15+ Mbps net and I would sign up; for the ISP ONLY; I would still stay with DirecTV for, well, TV

FiOS will be coming to my neighborhood by September, and those asterisk channels are not yet available in my area. No SciFi or USA HD yet!!! So is the PQ really that much better on the SD channels than it is for Dish or DirecTV?

Well , I've been Playing for the last 2 days with the Fios HD DVR service Here in Eastchester NY. , and I must say
The HD and SD PQ is Fantastic. Best I've seen yet. YES The BEST!
Loads of HD channels,Locals,VOD and Premiums in the line up here.
But , The DVR sucks compaired E* Vip 612, Let alone the 622 and 722. 80 hours of SD recording,and about 20 hours of HD is just crap! Function better then D* HD DVRs but I would still rather use D* HD dvrs.
Bottom line Fios is Nice , But please someone other then Motorola Please make them a HD DVR.

Well , I've been Playing for the last 2 days with the Fios HD DVR service Here in Eastchester NY. , and I must say
The HD and SD PQ is Fantastic. Best I've seen yet. YES The BEST!
Loads of HD channels,Locals,VOD and Premiums in the line up here.
But , The DVR sucks compaired E* Vip 612, Let alone the 622 and 722. 80 hours of SD recording,and about 20 hours of HD is just crap! Function better then D* HD DVRs but I would still rather use D* HD dvrs.
Bottom line Fios is Nice , But please someone other then Motorola Please make them a HD DVR.

Another thing that blows about FIOS (I have it now, AND DirecTV), is that the VOD and guide require you to use their Actiontec modem/wireless router. You cannot bridge through. Also, the VOD uses your allocated Internet bandwidth. In other words, if you have 20 down/5 up Internet service, that HD VOD you are watching is taking from that bandwidth (unlike Bright House and other cable companies). I have FIOS Internet as my backup Internet, with a dual-WAN router, but I am telling you all, it is either FIOS Internet or FIOS TV in your house. If you get both and depend on both you will be sorry when you are trying to work on a computer while somebody else watches VOD. It is BS that you are paying for both the DVRs and Internet, yet you are using the same bandwidth. They are double dipping. Major flaw in the engineering of the last "meter" of service. Anyway.... the TV is FANTASTIC. I carry all the premium channels with FIOS. They have all the HBO/MAX HD channels, all 26 of them. They have all the available TMC/Showtime channels in HD and some of the Starz. No Encore in HD, but whatever. I love the channel selection and the VOD is OK, aside from it using your Internet bandwidth. If you don't have them for Internet, you still have the Actiontec router in your house, using bandwidth, only you aren't paying for it then. But for TV, FIOS is great. PQ is much better than DirecTV (as I said, I have both). DirecTV isn't bad, but they just don't have the HD channel selection anymore. FIOS has just about EVERYTHING in HD. They are missing a few like the Viacom music channels that don't really carry HD content yet.

Can anyone comment on whether the FIOS SD PQ is sufficient to compete with the D* non-HD HD channels.

Fios is light years ahead. On most of my SD Fios channels, the picture is crystal clear. There's just a few that could use improvement.

When I used to have Direct, a lot of channels would pixellate and macro-block. And it was not weather related.

The channel comparison is interesting, but what about the other factors? How is the Fios service? How is the HD with Fios? Fios is definitely an interesting option. However, it still has to prove itself worthy to play with the other kids in the sandbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)