DirecTV and FiOS National HD Comparison

I know alot of people with HD TV's that don't have D* or E*. They are just happy to play a Blu Ray movie or Xbox,or PS3. ,I agree that HD is the future, But its hard to sell everyone a service that costs more money,when they already have the same service,just not HD. I'll never quit watchen SD,Unless EVERYTHING is in HD. Then I won't have a choice! Just because D* has the most HD doesn't mean thats what everyone wants. If so, every customer D* has would subscribe to HD. And they don't! Just like every E* customer doesn't!

Factually, the majority of new DirecTV subs are advanced products subs, and HD and HD-DVR makes up most of that.

This is most likely true of DISH as well, I just don''t recall that they broke it down in their last conference call.

They are ALL seeking the HD subs right now more than anything.

Whatever you think Hemi, the fact is HD is all the rage going to sell these days, whether you like it or not. Those only care for SD will not move anywhere, so if a service provider wants to expand it sub base, HD is the lure because when those SD subs decide to buy an HDTV set they will look for who has the most HD channels that can make their new HDTV's worth the money.

One fallacy among some people is they point to the 70% majority who do not swtich providers as an indication HD does not matter, but forgot that the TV providers are not going after that 70%, they are going after that 30% who will switch.

They are ALL seeking the HD subs right now more than anything.
Who D*? Well they should they spent billions on it! D* main goal is HD and sports! We know that! Fios and Cables main goal is to provide multiples of services, without the limited programming that Satellite has. My local cable company might not have 100 HD channels ,but it does have 20 locals,14 more the D*s, DVR thats less money, Equipment that doesn't cost anything to have fixed ,No commitments that last 18 -24 months. High speed internet! 40 Premiums channels offered, All of them for $34.95 Directv 31 of them and its over $40 extra per month. Directv has NFL pack ,Most HD,and Nascar Hotpass,and one of the Highest bills I've see in a long time!. Cable and Fios don't!

Who D*? Well they should they spent billions on it! D* main goal is HD and sports! We know that! Fios and Cables main goal is to provide multiples of services, without the limited programming that Satellite has. My local cable company might not have 100 HD channels ,but it does have 20 locals,14 more the D*s, DVR thats less money, Equipment that doesn't cost anything to have fixed ,No commitments that last 18 -24 months. High speed internet! 40 Premiums channels offered, All of them for $34.95 Directv 31 of them and its over $40 extra per month. Directv has NFL pack ,Most HD,and Nascar Hotpass. Cable and Fios don't!

Well DirecTV spent maybe $1 billion, not billionS. And DISH is also launching sats this year don't forget, and BOUGHT sats (like Rainbow 1 for 200 million for the exact same thing). FiOS is currently spending hundreds of millions upgrading its hubs to increase its HD bandwidth, and cable has been laying fiber in most of the country for the exact same reason.

You are missing my point however, as I have said ALL of the ads for ALL of the providers that I see (CABLEVISION, FiOS, DISH and DirecTV) talk about having the best HD. That is the customer they are trying to attract - true for all of them. If you look, this thread was started as a HD comparison, not a free equipment comparison, or cost of repair comparison.

BTW, have you noticed the difference in cost on a monthly basis for FiOS for HD receivers or HD-DVRS? It is a lot. One way to make up for NO upfront fees is to charge more monthly isn't it? If you keep FiOS for 2 years you pay much more for equipment than with DirecTV. HD receiver is $9.99/month, HD-DVR is $15.99/month with FiOS.
Verizon | FiOS TV

Well DirecTV spent maybe $1 billion, not billionS. And DISH is also launching sats this year don't forget, and BOUGHT sats (like Rainbow 1 for 200 million for the exact same thing). FiOS is currently spending hundreds of millions upgrading its hubs to increase its HD bandwidth, and cable has been laying fiber in most of the country for the exact same reason.

You are missing my point however, as I have said ALL of the ads for ALL of the providers that I see (CABLEVISION, FiOS, DISH and DirecTV) talk about having the best HD. That is the customer they are trying to attract - true for all of them. If you look, this thread was started as a HD comparison, not a free equipment comparison, or cost of repair comparison.

BTW, have you noticed the difference in cost on a monthly basis for FiOS for HD receivers or HD-DVRS? It is a lot. One way to make up for NO upfront fees is to charge more monthly isn't it? If you keep FiOS for 2 years you pay much more for equipment than with DirecTV.
I can't really compair equipment wise with Fios as I heard it only records like half of what the DVR's from E* and D*. But cable In my area is very close if not more atvanced VOD is been with cable for years. HD I am agreeing is the future, But if it is ,and thats the only way it will be years to come ,then it should not be priced seprately, or cost more!

I can't really compair equipment wise with Fios as I heard it only records like half of what the DVR's from E* and D*. But cable In my area is very close if not more atvanced VOD is been with cable for years. HD I am agreeing is the future, But if it is ,and thats the only way it will be years to come ,then it should not be priced seprately, or cost more!

Why do you still have DirecTV then?

Hemi? You are saying the ONLY reason you are with DirecTV is because you are stuck in a contract?
Dishnetwork Yes! Directv , I've always had , so its hard to just drop them. I like HD which is 90% of why I'm staying. The other 10% is because I don't want to spend hundreds to get out of the contract. I do like D* but I also like Premiums and High speed internet! And Cable has Offered me really good deal! What I need from D* is More Premiums for my money,and neighboring locals. That would solve a lot. I'd be willing to trade 50 HD channels to get it.

Dishnetwork Yes! Directv , I've always had , so its hard to just drop them. I like HD which is 90% of why I'm staying. The other 10% is because I don't want to spend hundreds to get out of the contract. I do like D* but I also like Premiums and High speed internet! And Cable has Offered me really good deal! What I need from D* is More Premiums for my money,and neighboring locals. That would solve a lot. I'd be willing to trade 50 HD channels to get it.

I don't know about your area, Comcast in our area, I can just order the $12/mo. lifeline plus lease an HDDVR to get all the HD/SD locals, plus I can pay more for premuims without any higher basic cable packages.

If I were you I would have best of both worlds.

FiOS HD update.

Last night at my friend Ray's house - he has FiOS. Great PQ. but, ESPN News-HD, Disney-HD, and ToonDisney-HD ARE NOT LIT.

They still have LESS than 25 HD national channels.

No need for FIOS HD update, there is no new HD to speak of. The move to digital is coming & sometime after HD should pop up. Here is the list with dates of VHOs going all digital:

IN(VHO10) 4/1
VA(VHO9) 4/7 (Richmond)
VA(VHO9a) 4/14
NY(VHO5) 4/21
MA(VHO6) 5/12
RI(VHO6a) 5/12
DE(VHO8) 6/2
PA(VHO8) 6/2
NJ(VHO8) 6/2 (southern NJ)
NJ(VHO7) 6/23 (northern NJ)
MD(VHO4) 7/21
VA(VHO4) 7/21 (northern VA)
FL(VHO2) 8/18
CA(VHO3) 9/1
T:mad:VHO1) 9/22

I know alot of people with HD TV's that don't have D* or E*. They are just happy to play a Blu Ray movie or Xbox,or PS3. ,I agree that HD is the future, But its hard to sell everyone a service that costs more money,when they already have the same service,just not HD. I'll never quit watchen SD,Unless EVERYTHING is in HD. Then I won't have a choice! Just because D* has the most HD doesn't mean thats what everyone wants. If so, every customer D* has would subscribe to HD. And they don't! Just like every E* customer doesn't!

There is some validity to your point,

I have two brothers, one is a TWC sub with an HD display, The other is a D* sub NO HD and cares not to upgrade.

The brother with SD D* likes what he see's at my house and the other brothers but cannot bring himself to pop for the HD display.

He has a decent surround system, DVD's etc. and is happy right now.

My other brother comes to my house and cruises through my D* guide and wants to know why he doesn't have all the HD channels I do. He then crows about the FREE HD TWC offers that I have to pay for.

Yes, they offer the HD locals for free, so that's four channels that technically I can get for free too (OTA)

Then there's my parents. (oh boy) They still have JUST the analog cable package and a VCR and find the sound from the TV speakers just fine and absolutely NO desire to change.

Hemi? You are saying the ONLY reason you are with DirecTV is because you are stuck in a contract?

Not sure about him, but thats the only reason I'm still with D*. I just dont care for the crappie equipment. Actually I'm looking a cable. Although they dont have the HD that D* has, HD isnt really that important to me as my wife and I actually watch OTA HD most of the time. The price differential that was once there between cable and D*, has diminished down to about even. If I do go to cable, I will probably go with a Tivo S3 as my DVR.

I thought they are full digital?

Actually they currently broadcast 50 or so channels in analog CATV format (well, at least in my area) which means you can simply plug the coax from the ont right into your tv and get those channels. However, this is soon to change due to the huge amount of space the analog channels take. This is why they lack HD right now.

Don't forget ,Not everyone cares about HD, HD is growing ,Yes, but still not the number one reason someone choses a provider!.
Count me in the minority, then. HD was the one and only reason I jumped ship from cable to D*

For what I watch, the cost is about the same as what I was paying and I never had any service issues with cable. HD was the sole reason I switched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)