DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
two new hd launches today. univision hd east and west. they don't interest me but for those who are there you go
Considering only 12% of Americans speak Spanish, this would be the obvious choice for the first 2 new HD channels to go live. Awesome.

Considering only 12% of Americans speak Spanish, this would be the obvious choice for the first 2 new HD channels to go live. Awesome.

While Univison was put on satellite D11. TeleFutura wasn't put on D11 or D10 and was put on either 110 or 119 which are used mainly for international packages. New customers for the English packages don't get a dish that can even see 110 and 119. So Telefutura won't take bandwidth that could be used for the English programming packages.

Guess I should have went back a few pages to catchup on everything.

I like reading these long threads backwards.

Then the discussion becomes more informative and people become friendlier and nicer to each other as you read.

I'd be willing to bet (I don't know for sure) that Univision has higher ratings on Direct or in the US than BBC.

What wonderful ideas, not put on espnu or something like travel channel, or hbo channels, instead add these two...

BTW, whats up dodger king? It's been awhile.

What wonderful ideas, not put on espnu or something like travel channel, or hbo channels, instead add these two...

BTW, whats up dodger king? It's been awhile.

Think your jumping the gun a bit, the Travel channels will be there as will WGN and espnu, just not yet.
It would help if we wait till the sat is lit up and working till we see what is and isn't going to be there.

Looking foward to ESPNU in HD, when I had Dish Travel was also nice, lots of Shows in HD, looking foward to Direct adding it

Then why the heck do they say May then? Why not say June???

It was suppose to be scheduled for May, but the sat had addl testing to be done once up there, so it got pushed back.
I'm still hoping for May, but not looking as promising as it once was.

I am in no hurry as everything I currently watch is already in HD, this will be icing on the cake.

The same reason they said that ESPN U would be out by march, or that Dish network says they have 200 hd channels: Corporate bull

Last edited by a moderator:
Drift is only expected to take about 20 days (additional test time at 103 could be a week or less). Still time left to make May. Also, there hasn't been a new TLE since Wednesday. While that could mean nothing has happened yet, it could mean that it's been drifting for a couple of days and nobody knows it yet.

They've already updated the HD web page to say "coming soon" in the headline (though they've missed another article on the same page).

Marketing has a pretty poor track record with respect to jumping the gun on carriage agreements and satellite turn-up. Suffice it to say that what we know generally trumps what the marketroids blurt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.