DIRECTV Announces New HD!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
According to SatelliteRacer we are getting 5 channels next week (I assume Wednesday or Thursday). No information on what they will be.

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - New HD channels coming in May!

Right after the announcement of the D12/D10 switch-a-roo, SatelliteRacer did mention that before D* decided to do the D10 fix, we would've gotten almost all 30 channels this month. At that point he also did mention that the number we got in May would be 5. So I guess the rest will come after the fix.

For my own selfish reasons based on what packages I get now these are the five I would like to get.

ESPNU HD
Travel Channel HD
STARZ Cinema HD
STARZ In Black HD
Encore HD East
OH yea,, I'll take these!:)

But will my R15 and R16 see this
STARZ Cinema
in SD as well, Or is D* only launching HD channels from now on?

OH yea,, I'll take these!:)

But will my R15 and R16 see this
STARZ Cinema
in SD as well, Or is D* only launching HD channels from now on?

I don't know but if I had to guess I would guess HD only like Starz kids and comedy

Let me add that recently D* did add the documentary channel in SD only so I guess that they can still add SD.

I agree that I would like to see ESPNU but is there that much on this time of the year? I would rather have a different channel right now as long as we have it before fall.

I agree that I would like to see ESPNU but is there that much on this time of the year? I would rather have a different channel right now as long as we have it before fall.

i have it on cable. right now, they are showing volleyball, softball, baseball and lacrosse. and a lot of college football live.

These are the 5 next week:

ESPNU HD
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

Looking foward to it, I must admit I was getting a little "down" seeing the recent Dish adds, but looking foward to the adds, all nice HD adds!

These are the 5 next week:

ESPNU HD
Hallmark Movie Channel HD
MSNBC HD
Travel Channel HD
WGN America HD

So let's get this straight... the satellite is now in place and they can add channels. Why not add all 30 of the announced channels next week? They want to milk it and roll them out over six weeks?

Sheesh. They aren't doing me a favor by adding the forthcoming premium channels, they are keeping me from jumping ship and going back to cable or moving a block away where I can get FIOS again. The least they can do is add the handful of premiums next week and not milk it over five or six weeks.

So let's get this straight... the satellite is now in place and they can add channels. Why not add all 30 of the announced channels next week? They want to milk it and roll them out over six weeks?

Sheesh. They aren't doing me a favor by adding the forthcoming premium channels, they are keeping me from jumping ship and going back to cable or moving a block away where I can get FIOS again. The least they can do is add the handful of premiums next week and not milk it over five or six weeks.
Do they have room for 30? My understanding is that they only have room for 10 more until D10 is fixed and goes back on line.

directv couldn't care less about what YOU want

Actually, Direct could add all 30 now if they wanted to. All they would have to do is to downrez the image like they do on Dish. I am sure most of us would still prefer quality over quantity?

Actually, Direct could add all 30 now if they wanted to. All they would have to do is to downrez the image like they do on Dish. I am sure most of us would still prefer quality over quantity?

yea i wouldn't want that. i rather wait. of course directv will do what they want :)

I'd rather have a downrezzed HD feed now than an SD feed thats stretched out to look like fat-people-wide-screen like the travel channel is now, and then a less downrezzed HD channel later on.

Do they have room for 30? My understanding is that they only have room for 10 more until D10 is fixed and goes back on line.

Hey... I am basing my thought process here on DirecTV saying 30 HD channels were coming in May. Not that I don't believe my fellow satelliteguys readers but I haven't read anything in the form of a press release from DirecTV about problems with D10. So, operating under the assumption that the new satellite will increase the capacity to over 200HD channels and they said we are getting 30 more, why are we seeing only 5 coming next week. Perhaps you are exactly right (that they don't have the capacity while they fix D10). I am just throwing the question out there.

Also, the hearsay problems with D10 are supposed to be with spotbeams, right? Aren't Spotbeams different Transponders than HD nationals? Or are they just making use of our HD nationals space to fix another problem?

I guess the problem lies with their press releases not matching up to the truth. I cannot say that I blame a company for not announcing every problem, but if I base my thoughts 100% on what I have read on the DirecTV website, I am expecting 30 new HD channels this month. And I ask (based on that thought process), why not add all 30 at once? Why roll them out a little here and a little here like a parent trying to trick a kid into thinking they are getting more gifts on Christmas by giving them one here, one there to open, instead of the measly lot of six garbage gifts all at once!

Have we been duped again? Have we been outright lied to? Has D* been too optimistic and jumped the gun again like the June 2007 press release?

Thanks for the feedback. It sure would be nice if we knew what was going on.

I'd rather have a downrezzed HD feed now than an SD feed thats stretched out to look like fat-people-wide-screen like the travel channel is now, and then a less downrezzed HD channel later on.
Downrezzing has nothing to do with whether or not a channel stretches their picture.

Besides, channels that do stretch-o-vision only do so on their HD broadcast channel. The current SD version of a station does not stretch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts