DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How do you guys find the time to watch Sports?;)

Last I checked most sporting events are 3-4 hours.

Most movies are 1 1/2- 2 hours.

Good point :). For me, sports is the reason I haven't seen any network series TV since ~96 or so, except for a few TV/DVD sets, with MLB EI, CI during the week. But I'm not really interested in series TV like I once was for some reason.

Do you have a reference? Link?

DirecTV's love of Starz and Showtime and flipping of the finger to HBO/MAX is very well known. If you need a reference or link you must be new to this site and or DirecTV.

I'll give you an example the other guy didn't mention:

In June of 2007 a press release with a PROMISE of 13 HBO/MAX HD channels for a fall 2007 launch was made by DirecTV. They never delivered on their promise, but we did get a handsome handful of Showtime and Starz Channels in HD.

Another point (already mentioned):
No HBO/MAX On Demand

Adding HBO Zone and HBO2 East in HD and no new Max in HD. WTF??? There are 26 available HBO/MAX HD channels and they carry currently 4 of them with 2 more on the way.

Another point (not mentioned):
No HBO Comedy (which is very popular with other providers). No Actionmax, Thrillermax, Outermax, 5starmax, wmax, or @Max. Just the flagship Cinemax and Morrmax.

Do you really need any more proof that DirecTV doesn't care whether we subscribers want HBO/MAX HD or not?

DirecTV's love of Starz and Showtime and flipping of the finger to HBO/MAX is very well known. If you need a reference or link you must be new to this site and or DirecTV.

I'll give you an example the other guy didn't mention:

In June of 2007 a press release with a PROMISE of 13 HBO/MAX HD channels for a fall 2007 launch was made by DirecTV. They never delivered on their promise, but we did get a handsome handful of Showtime and Starz Channels in HD.

No HBO/MAX On Demand

Adding HBO Zone and HBO2 East in HD and no new Max in HD. WTF??? There are 26 available HBO/MAX HD channels and they carry currently 4 of them with 2 more on the way.

Another point (not mentioned):
No HBO Comedy (which is very popular with other providers). No Actionmax, Thrillermax, Outermax, 5starmax, wmax, or @Max. Just the flagship Cinemax and Morrmax.

Do you really need any more proof that DirecTV doesn't care whether we subscribers want HBO/MAX HD or not?

I would bet it has something to do with Contracts.

Are there more HBO channels that DirecTV could carry?

I love a little sarcasm with my message board reading but the pain DirecTV has put us through when it comes to HBO/MAX runs way too deep to make such a sarcastic comment. It hurts man, it really hurts. DirecTV is basically telling us "F-you" when it comes to HBO/MAX.

They'd rather focus on RSN's like Fox Sports Wyoming HD and The Bull Riding Channel HD so they can milk more out of the sports seasonal packages. They make more money off a customer subscribing to Center Ice than they do one subscribing to HBO.

HBO Zone , HBO Comedy.

For the $15 they charge, There is absolutely no excuse for them not having these.

Don't even get me started on the $13 Cinemax package.

He HAD to be kidding. While I realize the average DirecTV subscriber doesn't know channels such as HBO Zone, HBO Comedy, @Max, WMax, etc. exist, I have a good feeling most satelliteguys.us fans have heard of the channels. If we care enough to visit this site we are usually more informed than the average viewer.

HBO should do the same thing other channels like Fox News does. Fox News is constantly telling viewers that Fox Business exists and if they don't get it, contact their cable company and demand it. HBO could do more to promote the existence of HBO Zone and HBO Comedy.

I would bet it has something to do with Contracts.

Oh I am sure you are right. But HBO and Cinemax are important enough that DirecTV and Time Warner should work out their differences. DirecTV has played hard ball and caved to work out sports channel deals. They should do the same with TW.

I seriously doubt that TW doesn't want DirecTV to carry more of their content.

HBO Zone , HBO Comedy.

For the $15 they charge, There is absolutely no excuse for them not having these.

Don't even get me started on the $13 Cinemax package.
HBO Family HD, and HBO SignatureHD as well. Also the West versions of some of the channel which arent as big of a deal.

Oh I am sure you are right. But HBO and Cinemax are important enough that DirecTV and Time Warner should work out their differences. DirecTV has played hard ball and caved to work out sports channel deals. They should do the same with TW.

I seriously doubt that TW doesn't want DirecTV to carry more of their content.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that they should have more of HBO as well as Cinemax.
I would not be interested in 26 HBO channels though, maybe the top 10 at most.

In areas that carry the 26 HBO channels, how much do they get for them ?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that they should have more of HBO as well as Cinemax.
I would not be interested in 26 HBO channels though, maybe the top 10 at most.

In areas that carry the 26 HBO channels, how much do they get for them ?

They typically do not charge more for the additional channels.

When I had FIOS I had all 26 HBO/MAX in HD, All available Showtime/TMC in HD. All available Starz/Encore in HD (except oddly no Starz flagship west). I paid $30/month for all the premiums. It was a great deal. I have them all with DirecTV and I am sure I am paying more than that and we have only 4 HBO/MAX HDs..

Knew it was only a matter of time before that 2007 press release popped up in this thread.

I want more HBO too, and Cinemaax is way underserved.

I don't know that I would say it is favortism or anyone giving customers the finger. Weird stuff must of happened back in 2007, from the PR one would assume the contract was done at that time.

I can only find 7 HBO channels X2 with west feeds =14. Where does 26 channels come from?
HBO, HBO2, Comedy, Family, Latino, Signature, Zone. That must include the Max channels also.

Knew it was only a matter of time before that 2007 press release popped up in this thread.

They also announced that they'd be releasing the whole home dvr stuff in 2005 and 2006!

I don't know that I would say it is favortism or anyone giving customers the finger. Weird stuff must of happened back in 2007, from the PR one would assume the contract was done at that time.

They did start the transfer ownership to Liberty right around then. Since then I've noticed a lot more attention to spending less while raking in as much as possible from customers. About that time is when we started getting equipment leases instead of purchases, ETF's, slower channel releases, more PPV shoved up our noses and declining customer service and BBB ratings.

Through most of late 2008/2009 the effort to spin off directv from Liberty really put the brakes on any new expenditures.

So chances are the HBO/Cinemax guys wanted big bucks for an expanded channel set while the other guys offered them up cheap. Also explains why they give showtime/starz away for free with ease but rarely HBO/Cinemax. I see that the Starz Group is also part of Liberty Media, that explains a lot.

Seems that all they've spent money on is maintaining the Sunday Ticket monopoly, probably because they've got a huge subscriber dependency that they dont want to lose.

I see that the Starz Group is also part of Liberty Media, that explains a lot.

Whats Funny is D* still doesn't carry Starz Cinema,Retro Plex,Indiplex,Movie Plex
Funny how a company that owns D* and Starz still doesn't have all the Starz Premiums in their D* service.

But Dishnetwork Has all of them Starz/ Encore but Movie Plex.

Whats wrong with that picture?

Status
Please reply by conversation.