DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't resist......Guff when you sign back up they will have to have a new customer rating system using black hearts....

Need a little help folks I am #20 <Orl,FL> on the list and want to upgrade to HD from standard def.

Besides the HD-Tivo Primary tv and the H20 for the 2nd HD tv in the house what equipment do I need?

AT-9 dish upgrade? also do I need the OTA Antenna?

Sorry for the Noob questions but I want to have my facts straight before I call CSR to schedule the upgrade.

**Thx Jabd I forgot about the Mpeg4 HD-PVR issue was hoping to get away without the antenna. But looks like I will go ahead with it and just remove it when the next Mpeg 4 PVR becomes available, Or the Home Media center.

Last edited:
HUNTOR said:
Need a little help folks I am #20 <Orl,FL> on the list and want to upgrade to HD from standard def.

Besides the HD-Tivo Primary tv and the H20 for the 2nd HD tv in the house what equipment do I need?

AT-9 dish upgrade? also do I need the OTA Antenna?

Sorry for the Noob questions but I want to have my facts straight before I call CSR to schedule the upgrade.

You will not be able to use the HD-Tivo to watch your HD locals off of the satellite due to the Mpeg4 compression.

Yes, you need the dish to pick up the locals from D*. You should keep the OTA Antenna if you sill want to use your HD-Tivo on your primary TV

Why do they jump some DMA's over others? Im in Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson,SC/Asheville, NC DMA #35. When I made the switch from E* the CSR at D* said I would be in the next "BATCH of HD lil" now I have been jumped over!! What's up with that????

Of the 3 that were skipped/dropped:

23: Portland, OR
34: Cincinnati, OH
35: Greenville/Asheville, NC

It could be they will be projected to have a much lower DMA rank as of the new reporting in the fall, or maybe they are having contractual issues getting them online, or maybe the actual affiliate is having issues with, or the delivery of their digital signal.

charper1 said:
Of the 3 that were skipped/dropped:

35: Greenville/Asheville, NC

It could be they will be projected to have a much lower DMA rank as of the new reporting in the fall, or maybe they are having contractual issues getting them online, or maybe the actual affiliate is having issues with, or the delivery of their digital signal.

WYFF is the holdout in the GSPAA area.

charper1 said:
Tallahassee is not in the next batch, but I guess you could still hold out hope. What is your zip or distance away from the towers? FL is as flat as they come and getting "available" OTA should be as easy as getting wet in the rain.

I'm gonna keep hoping for the one after this, maybe mid summer. My zip is 32305 about 25 miles from the towers. This part of Florida isn't flat at all, very hilly. Also think of it this way....the towers are at the top of the curve of a 0 and I'm at the VERY bottom. In between is some hilly terrain, plus the city of Tallahassee.

LOL, is all relative. I am in PHX which makes FL flat; even been there many times. People in CO say PHX is just hills. (I am 20-25 miles from towers also with good reception) My buddy in STL (about the same topography as you) is 46 miles away and gets great reception.

Last edited:
LOL!!!! Of course!!! I'm from Western N. Carolina and this part of Florida is STILL flat, but try getting behind a coed with a manual transmission car on a hill here and listen to them bitch!!!!!

Charper - I am in ahwatukee and recieve tucson HD fine with a rat shack antenna (the $25 uhf one)...... 96 miles from the towers

guffy1 said:
Actually, I love to hear myself talk, tyvm..

I'm pretty sure they have an ignore feature on this site, use it, and stop whining your same ol crap over and over..

nope, how about you SHUT THE "EDITED" UP, we all know you hate D* so quit reminding us about it every second you can. And stay in the E* or whatever service you have forum, untill you "ARSE" has D* again, you have no business saying "POO-POO" here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh RIRWIN1983, guffy1 is a troll. He says things to get the exact post you just made. He is not interested in the actual thread or discussion, only to tick people off. The best thing to do is "dont feed the f@#ker". Just ignore him.

charper1 said:
Which channel and heading? I would like to try that.

I'm not 100% sure of the heading - if I use antenna web it givies me the direction. (I just point towards tucson)

I get PBS, CBS, ABC and NBC.

I actually had it on tucson for a while, since the picture from tucson for NBC was clearer for the olympics than PHX's was.

Since Denver is still a mess in OTA and the fact I haven't been contacted for the upgrade makes me wonder if I can apply for the digital waiver yet.

There are no official digital waiver processes defined yet. It will all be handled as if you requested a analog waiver. That being said it NEVER hurts to try/ask.

I'm still confused with how the rollout of this will work. I'm trying to explain what will happen to my brother in law and sister whom I live with in the Pittsburgh DMA.

He gets upset over every little problem and switches all of his services (internet/tv/etc) all the time because of something minor.

They currently have an HD subscription. When this rollout happens, what will have have to do to get new equipment, would it be leased, what would the cost be? Or is this process all automatic?

drbill28 said:
I'm still confused with how the rollout of this will work. I'm trying to explain what will happen to my brother in law and sister whom I live with in the Pittsburgh DMA.

He gets upset over every little problem and switches all of his services (internet/tv/etc) all the time because of something minor.

They currently have an HD subscription. When this rollout happens, what will have have to do to get new equipment, would it be leased, what would the cost be? Or is this process all automatic?

I also live in the Pittsburgh DMA. They will need the new AT9 dish, the H20 HD receiver and a package that includes local channels. I just had the new dish installed last week. The installer told me that he was told that D* was planning on turning on the HD local channel feed to the Pittsburgh market on April 19th.

Any Word On When The Roanoke VA Market Getting On The List?

Where is Roanoke, VA going to be on that list? I'm a DirecTV satellite installer in the Roanoke area and have already been installing the AT-9 dish with the H20 receiver and that's the first question the customers have been asking me. I've been telling them it'll be sometime probably late 2006 with no specific month or date. Any input from would be appreciated...

charper1 said:
Tallahassee is not in the next batch, but I guess you could still hold out hope. What is your zip or distance away from the towers? FL is as flat as they come and getting "available" OTA should be as easy as getting wet in the rain.

Here is the next round of additions:

Baltimore, MD #24
Birmingham, AL #40
Charlotte, NC #27
Cleveland, OH #16
Columbus, OH #32
Denver, CO #18
Fresno, CA #56
Hartford, CT #28
Indianapolis, IN #25
Kansas City, MO/KS #31
Miami, FL #17
Milwaukee, WI #33
Minneapolis, MN #15
Nashville, TN #30
Orlando, FL #20
Phoenix, AZ #14
Pittsburgh, PA #22
Raleigh, NC #29
Sacramento, CA #19
Salt Lake City, UT #36
San Diego, CA #26
Seattle, WA #13
St Louis, MO #21
West Palm Beach, FL #38

Top DMAs skipped in this group:
35: Greenville/Ashville, NC

DMAs that jumped:
38: West Palm Beach, FL
40: Birmingham, AL
56: Fresno, CA

gwlashier said:
Where is Roanoke, VA going to be on that list? I'm a DirecTV satellite installer in the Roanoke area and have already been installing the AT-9 dish with the H20 receiver and that's the first question the customers have been asking me. I've been telling them it'll be sometime probably late 2006 with no specific month or date. Any input from would be appreciated...

Roanoke is #68, so I wouldn't hold my breath! Late 2006 sounds about right to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)