DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper,

i went back and re read the pdf. it states: up to 76% of the country covered by the end of 2006. that means IMHO that the birds will be operational and the services will be available to 76% by years end. that in no way says that 76% of the country that wants hd will be installed/ upgraded by then.

Last edited:
You are correct; but once again this number is based on who has the OPPORTUNITY to get service, not who actually HAS service (that's subscriber numbers). There will always be people that do not have service by choice, but if their area is covered it is counted as served.

dragon002 said:
charper,

i went back and re read the pdf. it states: up to 76% of the country covered by the end of 2006. that means IMHO that the birds will be operational and the services will be available to 76% by years end. that in no way says that 76% of the country that wants hd will be installed/ upgraded by then.

That's not what I meant either.

i'll go back to mpeg 2 with single lnb and throw away my h20 with the 5 lnb dish or maybe i'll sell it for $500.00

Last edited:
Questioner said:
Plan is indeed the key word, my bet would be no better than 45 or 50 percent.

If they only get the next 24 markets done that will put them at 58%.

Anyone know when the next batch of HD LiLs will be announced. I'm in DMA 65. I Assume 4Q 06 or 1st Q 07. I hope in coincides with the release of the HR20-250.

Locals in Kansas Cty are not all working?

Channel 4 FOX-Not working
Channel 5 CBS-Not Working
Channell 9 ABC-Working
Channel 41 NBC-Working

*Does anyone know why Fox and CBS are dead?

As mentioned 2 or 3 times, it is more than likely a contract issue. Give your affiliate's GM and/or station MGR a call and ask them. Then urge them to allow the retransmission of HD ASAP. Mention that the other DMA affiliates are on.

ugggggh, after the current group this probably means we will be lucky to see 12 more lousy markets before november/december, not good

EXCITING NEWS!!! NEW HD (MPEG 4) Local Channel Markets Announced!!*

"FALL 2006"

Austin
Cincinnati
Grand Rapids
Green Bay
GreensBoro
Las Vegas
Madison (??)
Memphis
Portland (OR)
Portland (Maine)
Providence (Rhode Island)
Reno

Questioner said:
ugggggh, after the current group this probably means we will be lucky to see 12 more lousy markets before november/december, not good

EXCITING NEWS!!! NEW HD (MPEG 4) Local Channel Markets Announced!!* "FALL 2006"

Austin, TX
Cincinnati, OH
Grand Rapids, MI
Green Bay, WI
Greensboro, NC
Las Vegas, NV
Madison, WI
Memphis, TN
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Providence, RI
Reno, NV

Does anyone know the relevance of these DMAs?

chris_fowler99 said:
Hmm...Austin. Not sure if I should be excited or not. I get all locals in HD via antenna. :D

Im sure there are many in that DMA who either cant get a good signal or cant put up a big antenna for whatever reason.

charper1 said:
Austin, TX
Cincinnati, OH
Grand Rapids, MI
Green Bay, WI
Greensboro, NC
Las Vegas, NV
Madison, WI
Memphis, TN
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Providence, RI
Reno, NV

Good question. Providence is #51 and Portland is #74. Maybe because this gives D* local HD through the NE corridor from Maine to the Washington DC area. Who knows!

charper1 said:
Austin, TX
Cincinnati, OH
Grand Rapids, MI
Green Bay, WI
Greensboro, NC
Las Vegas, NV
Madison, WI
Memphis, TN
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Providence, RI
Reno, NV

Relevance? With a few exceptions, if you go by dmas, they make sense as being part of the group following the current one, we are looking at dmas like 35, 39, 51 etc. Poor new Orleans won't be getting any at 43, but their dma likely will drop.

I just find it strange that directv will have launched 36 hd locals between november and this june, and only 12 more between july and the end of the year, almost the same timeframes, with likely a several month gap if the current schedule holds true. Its true that as they get farther along the markets get smaller and smaller, but still if anything I thought they would pick up the pace not slow down to a crawl and move on to something else before mpeg 4 is obsolete.

Last edited:
Questioner said:

EXCITING NEWS!!! NEW HD (MPEG 4) Local Channel Markets Announced!!*

"FALL 2006"

Austin
Cincinnati
Grand Rapids
Green Bay
GreensBoro
Las Vegas
Madison (??)
Memphis
Portland (OR)
Portland (Maine)
Providence (Rhode Island)
Reno
Has this been officially announced or is this your speculation? I'm in the Greensboro DMA so I do have an interest in this list.

Questioner said:
Someone reliable with directv affiliations spilled the beans at avsforums
Ok, I've missed that. I don't read avs nearly as much as I used to. I find this site usually better than avs.

Which thread was that info in? I'd like to read the thread myself.

Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)