DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mssturgeon

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 12, 2004
Xenia, OH
From their Press Release:

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

The 24 local markets to receive HD programming include:

Baltimore
Birmingham, Ala.
Charlotte, N.C.
Cleveland
Columbus, Ohio
Denver
Fresno, Calif.
Hartford, Conn.
Indianapolis
Kansas City, Mo./Kan.
Miami
Milwaukee, Wisc.
Minneapolis, Minn.
Nashville, Tenn.
Orlando, Fla.
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Raleigh, N.C.
Sacramento, Calif.
Salt Lake City
San Diego
Seattle
St Louis, Mo.
West Palm Beach, Fla.

More @ HDTV Magazine:
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/news/2006/02/directv_announces_next_24_markets_to_receive_hd_locals.php

- Shane

Just added the DMA ranks because someone will ask down the road.

Baltimore, MD #24
Birmingham, AL #40
Charlotte, NC #27
Cleveland, OH #16
Columbus, OH #32
Denver, CO #18
Fresno, CA #56
Hartford, CT #28
Indianapolis, IN #25
Kansas City, MO/KS #31
Miami, FL #17
Milwaukee, WI #33
Minneapolis, MN #15
Nashville, TN #30
Orlando, FL #20
Phoenix, AZ #14
Pittsburgh, PA #22
Raleigh, NC #29
Sacramento, CA #19
Salt Lake City, UT #36
San Diego, CA #26
Seattle, WA #13
St Louis, MO #21
West Palm Beach, FL #38

Top DMAs skipped in this group:
23: Portland, OR
34: Cincinnati, OH
35: Greenville/Ashville, NC

DMAs that jumped:
38: West Palm Beach, FL
40: Birmingham, AL
56: Fresno, CA

Did I miss or add any?

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The scheduled release time window hasn't even arrived, so it's not expected yet.

One could always hope. Even though my location is in this list, I will wait for the DVR and the smaller dish.

I just ordered HD I think Im getting the H20. Any way my Question is are they installing the 5 lnb dish in markets that are coming on soon or do you have to wait until after that market is turned on? Thanks I'm in Baltimore

ALWAYS verify that in writting when you order, and if the installer doesn't bring it, DO NOT go through with the install. You are doing the correct thing by researching up front! Great job!

A lot of users here fail to read the customer agreements and disclaimers and then let everything go wrong without ever speaking up. They then compound those wrongs by signing off on an install.

Hey, make sure the wife doesn't read that LOL! ADD to the above to have the installer check your signal strengths on screen, not just with their in-line meter. Also check your locals and some other channels while they are still there. Ask questions and get answers.

Yeah I have a buddy who works for action antenna. He installs directv to and I usually have him her to help me but he has to work monday so I'm on my own.

By new installs do you mean new customers? I'm a current customer and I'm scheduled to have my service moved to a new address on march 8 and the order says "3 lnb dish". I even asked them why not put the 5 lnb considering that my location (Sacramento) would be getting the HD local in April. The csr said "they'll install the 5 lnb then". Sounds to me like a waste of their time (and mine actually) and money for D*. Though I'm sure the installers like to have the job! Oh yeah, and I won't bite the offer anyway cause I have the HD TIVO and I'll be getting my locals OTA anyway!:D

charper1 said:
It had been reported that all new installs are getting the AT9 dish no matter what.

Last edited:
Now that is a GREAT question; all I read was "new installs", I am not 100% sure if that means only new service customers. AND that wastes of time/waste of money was exactly the reason I read as well! I would call again, maybe even the retention dept.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I won't touch my instalation order or call them until it's done!!! They've screwed me up already twice. First afterI called to install a refurb DVR I spent 30 min on the phone fixing the loss of my HD package and HD DN due to a dumb CSR! Yesterday I lost my dish moving installation date and had it postponed 3 days cause another CSR cancel my order and started another order WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I spent another 40 minutes placing another order to reflect what I wanted originally! They really need to train their CSR better! So from now on, I'm leaving it all alone until the service is done. I dont' care for the MPEG4 without an HD TIvo option. Unless they pull a "dishnet deal" and launch new National channels only on MPEG4 :mad:

charper1 said:
Now that is a GREAT question; all I read was "new installs", I am not 100% sure if that means only new service customers. AND that wastes of time/waste of money was exactly the reason I read as well! I would call again, maybe even the retention dept.

I live in DMA 102 and got upgraded to the H20 with the AT-9. Call and you should be able to get the upgrade, plus they will leave the H10 so you can use it on another HDTV!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)