DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just to expound a bit:

LiL / your local affiliates in your DMA or designated market area / of which your service resides.

LIN = LIN TV Corporation / A holdings company that operates 31 www.lintv.com (Parent was LIN Broadcasting Corporation)

LIN TV Corp.’s roots trace back to the founding of its former parent, LIN Broadcasting Corporation in the mid 1960s. LIN Broadcasting was engaged in radio and television broadcasting, direct marketing, information and learning, and music publishing and record labels.

Over time, LIN Broadcasting made acquisitions in broadcasting, expanded into paging and in the early 1980s it entered the fledgling cellular telephone business. By 1983, the company owned seven television stations and by 1985, it owned and managed cellular telephone licenses serving in New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Dallas and Houston. LIN Broadcasting sold its paging operations and six of its radio stations in 1986 to help finance the development of its cellular business.

IN March 1990, McCaw Cellular Communications purchased a 52% interest in LIN Broadcasting. McCaw was acquired by AT&T in 1994, after which LIN Broadcasting’s television operations were spun off as a public company traded on the Nasdaq stock market and 45% -owned by AT&T. The new company, LIN Television Corporation, owned and/or operated 12 stations and its stock price increased at a compounded annual growth rate of 31% between 1994 and 1998. During this period LIN acquired WIVB-TV in Buffalo.

In March 1998, LIN Television was acquired by Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Incorporated (HMTF), a leading private investment firm based in Dallas, Texas. At the time of the HMTF acquisition, LIN contributed its Dallas NBC affiliate to venture with NBC that also holds the San Diego NBC affiliate. Under HMTF’s ownership, LIN Television has grown considerably through a wide range of transactions.

Today, LIN operates thirty-one television stations in 18 markets including two under local marketing agreements, two low-power networks, and has investments in five other stations.

LIN TV Corp. owns 100% of LIN Television, completed its initial public offering in 2002 and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TVL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIN_TV

wolfgame said:
Sorry....Greenville/Spartanburg....South Carolina

don't hold your breath. i've had the 5lnb since mid-feb *up here in asheville*
I just ended up buying an indoor antenna and can pick up a few locals ota hd channels (fox, abc, cw, pbs). i'm sure you wouldn't have an issue with getting nbc, cbs.. but they are out of range for me here.

Does anyone know if D* will get around to HD in all the smaller DMA's where they have LIL in SD? I specifically interested in Johnstown/Altoona PA which have never been mentioned in anything that I have read.

morehd said:
Does anyone know if D* will get around to HD in all the smaller DMA's where they have LIL in SD? I specifically interested in Johnstown/Altoona PA which have never been mentioned in anything that I have read.

D* keep saying that once the new two satellites go up next year they'll be able to do 1500 local HD channels. Know that doesn't help much but you're probably going to have to wait until that happens and D* then announces the list of who gets what when. Sorry.

BUFFALO, NY will be in february along with any remaining markets that will not go live by then.
I also talked to her about the 100 hd channels by xmas and these will NOT be locals

aeneas3 said:
BUFFALO, NY will be in february along with any remaining markets that will not go live by then.
I also talked to her about the 100 hd channels by xmas and these will NOT be locals

Most likely they will slowly be adding smaller market locals for quite some time well into next year if not beyond. And no way the 100 hd channels thing is going to happen.

aeneas3 said:

According to this release, Buffalo, NY is part of a rollout of 25 more HD LiL markets that will be completed in Q4 2006:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=914114&highlight=

And there's no way the 100 HD channels doesn't include locals...far less than 100 national HD channels exist. This is simply marketing speak and D*'s way of inflating their numbers. In reality, to any given individual, D* is launching up to 4 or 5 (if you're lucky) HD LiL's in 2006/07, and several national HD channels in 2007/08. I bet they still won't be the market leader in unique HD offerings (meaning if you count all HD LiL's as 5 instead of 100). That's just my guess, though. I'm not complaining about them adding HD content - I welcome it. Just trying to keep it in perspective and not be swept off my feet by their pronouncement that they will be delivering 100 HD channels which will make them the leader in HD content. That statement is the work of a spin doctor. Nonetheless, the more HD, the better.

Moving to Denver next spring, so without having to read all the pages, and not having any replies to my post about Denver OTA in that forum, anybody there have the AT9 and the HR20 and HD locals?? Tks---Ray

HD Locals

Just picked up a H20 rcvr at a local walmart and installed on an existing 18" dish on the house I bought. Am thinking of buying a HD tv and am wondering what the difference is between the 3lnb dish and the 5lnb dish is and why go with one over the other?:confused:

The 5LNB dish adds the ability to "see" the 99 and 103 Ka band satellite locations. Current LIL and RSN HD transmits from here; somewhat likely some additional future HD as well.

Anybody now how long it will take to get some more LIL areas up now that the SAT is in orbit? I'm trying to see how long I have to get a new HR20...

The new sat has nothing to do with HD locals. The new HD local markets will be on the spaceways just like all the others.

Than what is the new SAT for? National HD channels? It is my understanding that D* is at capacity and that's why NFL ticket was cutting into HDnet or TNT on Sundays?

It was in the press releases about the launch. 9S is a backup/replacement for aging sats that are already up there and a decade + old.

when will wheeling/steubenville,ohio/wv locals be available on directv? I emailed the station managers of the locals and they said they did their part it's up to directv and dish network now. So where does that dma stand in directv's plans?

Portlaned, Maine is now lit (at least, partially). Right now, NBC, ABC and CBS are now active in HD. PBS, FOX, CW and NESN are not.

Portlaned, Maine is now lit (at least, partially). Right now, NBC, ABC and CBS are now active in HD. PBS, FOX, CW and NESN are not.

NESN won't be on in hd until the new sats go up next year. Only those in the Boston dma get it.

According to this release, Buffalo, NY is part of a rollout of 25 more HD LiL markets that will be completed in Q4 2006:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=914114&highlight=

And there's no way the 100 HD channels doesn't include locals...far less than 100 national HD channels exist. This is simply marketing speak and D*'s way of inflating their numbers. In reality, to any given individual, D* is launching up to 4 or 5 (if you're lucky) HD LiL's in 2006/07, and several national HD channels in 2007/08. I bet they still won't be the market leader in unique HD offerings (meaning if you count all HD LiL's as 5 instead of 100). That's just my guess, though. I'm not complaining about them adding HD content - I welcome it. Just trying to keep it in perspective and not be swept off my feet by their pronouncement that they will be delivering 100 HD channels which will make them the leader in HD content. That statement is the work of a spin doctor. Nonetheless, the more HD, the better.

yes, i figured the same but she was quite adamant :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)