DirecTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I heard a rumor that Providence will launch september 26/27th and probably some other markets too from a local installer today, not that I live in their dma.

Of course if you are a fan of bruins or celtics you probably won't care as you need to be in the boston dma to get them in hd. Hartford was bad enough, providence is ridiculous.

Questioner said:
I heard a rumor that Providence will launch september 26/27th and probably some other markets too from a local installer today, not that I live in their dma.

Of course if you are a fan of bruins or celtics you probably won't care as you need to be in the boston dma to get them in hd. Hartford was bad enough, providence is ridiculous.

I'd bet it all you are in the Providence DMA.

ScoBuck said:
I'd bet it all you are in the Providence DMA.

Who cares?

FWIW, I agree with Questioner on both Hartford and PVD being excluded from NESN-HD being just plain stupid, and PVD being moreso. What part of "New England" makes it hard for D* to understand? :)

hancox said:
Who cares?

FWIW, I agree with Questioner on both Hartford and PVD being excluded from NESN-HD being just plain stupid, and PVD being moreso. What part of "New England" makes it hard for D* to understand? :)

You have to forgive scobuck. He stalks and attacks anyone who has criticized directv in the past, and his rants take precedent over all relevant discussions.

Questioner said:
You have to forgive scobuck. He stalks and attacks anyone who has criticized directv in the past, and his rants take precedent over all relevant discussions.

Gee thanks Bob1

BTW, it is just YOU that I respond to - because ALL of your posts are LIES and NEVER relevant. Its why you are banned at 2 sites already.

ScoBuck said:
Gee thanks Bob1

BTW, it is just YOU that I respond to - because ALL of your posts are LIES and NEVER relevant. Its why you are banned at 2 sites already.

You are right....all you do is here is address me....not add anything else to discussions. Pretty pathetic, you need a life, whether what you claim about me is true or not....which it isn't.

You are not right in that my posts are not relevant though. I actually try to help people by responding to their questions with factual information. Let them decide if my posts are credible.....so far no one has complained here besides you.

Could a mod please put an end to the people responsible for the last few posts? I have been checking this thread daily for the content its title contains, only to find midless bickering between two ego-maniacs.

joedekock said:
Could a mod please put an end to the people responsible for the last few posts? I have been checking this thread daily for the content its title contains, only to find midless bickering between two ego-maniacs.

joe my apologies, you are correct.

Questioner said:
Note directv now says just coming this fall for hd locals, no months...

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100086

If you were hoping for sept/oct, you could be waiting until december. They also have removed some cities entirely.

Not giving specific dates or months is all they should ever do anyway so people will stop crying when things might not get done that date.

Anyway....

Of the city list that I checked zip codes and Memphis, Portland, OR and San Antonio show as broadcasting HD LIL already (what affiliates they have contracts for I assume). Did you check this out before posting the all-inclusive "could be waiting until December" and where did you get that month guess from? Also what cities were totally removed, they would be helpful info too.

Last edited:
I never said some cities didn't already have some channels up....my comment was for those who are still waiting to have any hd locals at all.

Green Bay is no longer listed at all.

But you didn't say otherwise either which leads one to believe they all were included in the statement as opposed to just stating the actual info. We don't want to twist, stretch or mis-lead, we should all state the facts not try to manufacture news (I am not saying you WERE doing this, but just to state only the facts).

Was Green Bay, WI the only city removed? Odd that it was removed and Madison was left; maybe they are having issues getting contract agreements with all of the big4 in GB and don't want people in that DMA to be expecting them? What led you to say if they aren't turned on now, it might be December?

Last edited:
"What led you to say if they aren't turned on now, it might be December?"

It's just common sense, fall does not end until december. Could still be earlier of course for some places. In fact I agree, I doubt they will wait until the final day of fall to light a bunch of them up, but it gives directv more leeway and subs more frustration.

I don't know what is going on with Green Bay.

Sorry for not being entirely clear before, but I don't think it warrants the spanish inquisition.

Questioner said:
"What led you to say if they aren't turned on now, it might be December?"

It's just common sense, fall does not end until december. Could still be earlier of course for some places. In fact I agree, I doubt they will wait until the final day of fall to light a bunch of them up, but it gives directv more leeway and subs more frustration.

I think that is more of a worse case guess than common sense; what if they light up in Oct? Why lead people to think that December is the more likely option over anything earlier? Where is the data to back that up? Tomorrow is Fall, next week is fall, November 1st is Fall, all of these could happen, but you chose to go directly to the absolute latest possible to make it sound as bad as you could; IMHO.

Sorry for not being entirely clear before, but I don't think it warrants the spanish inquisition.

With the way people read and take things here, stating only exact info is really the best method. While its not the Spanish inquisition it seems to be a well established pattern of trying to stretch or exaggerate the actual info into something that easily takes on another meaning or saying something that was never said.

Why not just say only exactly what the truth is? That leads to less confusion and less question about what might be going on?

I said you could be waiting until december....not you will be. I don't think it's that complicated. Anyone who reads my post would know the launches still could happen anytime this fall.

Actually, last week on the Merrill Lynch conference call, DirecTV announced that they have INCREASED the number of HD local markets that will be lit before end of December - the number now appears to be 59 total markets (attached is link to the conference call collateral materials).

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/12/127/127160/items/212073/MerrillLynch91206.pdf

What they didn't do (and rather wisely I would add) is state exact markets/exact dates as charper1 is right on when he comments on the trolls that go bananas when a date is not exactly met (and always blaming D*, even when they DON'T know ANY of the reasons for the delays/changes). A good example is Grand Rapids, which was announced and seems not to have been lit. People blaming DirecTV, when it is reported that VARIOUS providers are having identical issues with those local affiliate stations.

Worse is that some of these same people make these remarks when they aren't even affected (when its NOT their market affected), just to stir up everyone else.

charper1, you are on to something, for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)