DirecTV Commercial Lie???

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe the statement can be misconstrued by the way it's structured, but I don't believe it's a "lie." (Perhaps I'm looking at it through my marketing background...)

Sure, it's a bit of stretch, but it's not really a lie. It's marketing.

Well said. What got me worked up is for DodgerKing and others here to "mob up" and scream that DTV lies. While I don't believe there was any untruth in the ad, I could be persuaded that perhaps they quibbled or didn't qualify the claim.

IMHO, this board exists to help others with enjoying DTV to its fullest extent. Lately, it seems to have descended into a rant against DTV by a very small minority of DTV customers. I would be surprised if this board is even viewed by 1% of DTV subscribers. While I strongly believe in free speech, I don't believe in calling people liars, especially with the thin evidence displayed in this thread.

If all you detractors are so smart, how come you're not rich.
Who is to say that the detractors aren't rich?

Is wealth the most important measure of a person?

At 75", I prefer to think of height as an important measure. ;)

Caddyshack said:
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

Well said. What got me worked up is for DodgerKing and others here to "mob up" and scream that DTV lies. While I don't believe there was any untruth in the ad, I could be persuaded that perhaps they quibbled or didn't qualify the claim.

IMHO, this board exists to help others with enjoying DTV to its fullest extent. Lately, it seems to have descended into a rant against DTV by a very small minority of DTV customers. I would be surprised if this board is even viewed by 1% of DTV subscribers. While I strongly believe in free speech, I don't believe in calling people liars, especially with the thin evidence displayed in this thread.
All I did is ask a question. (Hence the question marks in the title of the thread). From the question, people have made good post stating their opinion as to what they believe they meant.

Here is another question I brought up in other posts: Are we able to get every MLB in HD through DirecTV?

You can answer it if you choose. What every you choose to do, please don't make this about me.

Funny thing is, I have been called a Fanboy by one poster and the opposite by another. I guess that must mean I am neither?

I believe the statement can be misconstrued by the way it's structured, but I don't believe it's a "lie." (Perhaps I'm looking at it through my marketing background...)
It could have been meant for games on ESPN and FOX only, in which they are all in HD. But, they made no mention of these two networks
A paraphrase could be, "Choose Directv as your provider when you want to watch MLB games that are produced in HD."

Or, "For every MLB game [that's available] in HD this season, get it via Directv (as opposed to another provider)." They're not necessarily stating that every game is in HD.

Sure, it's a bit of stretch, but it's not really a lie. It's marketing.
Perhaps...That may be stretching it a little, IMO.

All I did is ask a question. (Hence the question marks in the title of the thread). From the question, people have made good post stating their opinion as to what they believe they meant.

Here is another question I brought up in other posts: Are we able to get every MLB in HD through DirecTV?

You can answer it if you choose. What every you choose to do, please don't make this about me.

Yes, if you are a Directv sub, you can, through their service, watch every MLB HD game that is made available to you. :D

I believe the actual marketing line is this: "Get Every MLB game in HD this season with DirecTv." It does not specifically say that every MLB game will be in HD, nor will they guarantee your ability to see it. The pitch is that there are baseball games produced in HD and Directv wants you to watch them via their service.

While it's easy to read into it, the marketing line is not "Every single MLB game this season is available in HD and Directv customers have access to every one."

(This is a fun mental exercise for a Friday. :))

Yes, if you are a Directv sub, you can, through their service, watch every MLB HD game that is made available to you. :D

I believe the actual marketing line is this: "Get Every MLB game in HD this season with DirecTv." It does not specifically say that every MLB game will be in HD, nor will they guarantee your ability to see it. The pitch is that there are baseball games produced in HD and Directv wants you to watch them via their service.

While it's easy to read into it, the marketing line is not "Every single MLB game this season is available in HD and Directv customers have access to every one."

(This is a fun mental exercise for a Friday. :))
Good point. IOW, every game that is available in HD will be shown in HD on DirecTV.

I should also at this point invoke Hanlons Razor by saying "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Whoever floated the commercial may simply have not thought through all the possibilities. On the other hand, when I was in marketing everything went through 3700 lawyers before it was put on television or in print.

BY the way ,Tell D* to stop calling my House , I'm on the" Do not call list" That means DO NOT CALL!

They are calling you to see if your DN has NFL SUNDAY TICKET that's all. LOL

I shouldn't have to change my number.:( Tv stalkers are really bothersome.:D

One of the best phone features I've ever had was through an old VOIP provider thats now long dead. Basically when someone called you, they got a recorded message and could leave me a voicemail or press the "2" key to ring my phone.

My recorded message was to #^$@ off if you're a telemarketer, and most of them use machines that hang up when they hear a recorded message. Everyone else could either just leave me a message without ringing the phone, or hit a button to get me. I was also able to set it so that between 11pm and 6am the only option was to leave me a voicemail.

Zero telemarketing/donation/political calls the two years I had that and no late night wrong numbers or annoyance calls.

"I believe the actual marketing line is this: "Get Every MLB game in HD this season with DirecTv." It does not specifically say that every MLB game will be in HD, nor will they guarantee your ability to see it. The pitch is that there are baseball games produced in HD and Directv wants you to watch them via their service."
Good point. IOW, every game that is available in HD will be shown in HD on DirecTV.
If it says "Get Every MLB game in HD this season with DirecTv."
That is saying EVERY GAME IS IN HD.
For what you are trying to say, the ad would have said
"Get every HD MLB Game on Directv."
See the difference?
The 2nd way doesnt say all games are in hd, but you will get every hd game.
The 1st way definitely says all games are hd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts