Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lparsons21 said:
I think the way it will play out is that D* will pull them for a short bit, the pricing offers will fly fast and furious, and a few days later, D* will pay more but less than Fox wanted, both will bray about how they 'held the line' and the channels will be back.

Basically that is the way it has been playing out all this year for everyone but D*. Now it is D*'s turn...

In then end, we'll have our Fox channels we want, and our bill will increase maybe a bit more next year than it would have anyway.

I think your right, except I think they will continue negotiations without pulling any channels .... of course the threat has to still be there.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Yet another D* Apologist. Why do people who disagree with a company have to drop them? It would be nice to have that option, but most of us are under contract and cannot do that. How about they let us out of that contract when they drop all those channels we pay for? Is our price going to drop when they drop those channels? Nope!!! Grow up!! People are allowed to have an opinion that does not match yours, and shouldn't have to be told to go away or anything else. Why dont you go away?

First of all, this whiny little baby claims:

I do have a clue. D* has always tried to run the show, guess what, not anymore. Hope they do get droped and droves of people leave for other providers. If not for my DNS I would've been gone long ago. I don't see the big deal anyway, their gonna send us the bill for it so just do it!

Yet he won't say what "DNS" is. The real situation is he knows all his other options suck. So instead of growing a pair and talking with his wallet, he's constantly jumping into threads like this bashing D* while he sits there watching it.

Second, you can bet your ass that while they won't let you out of contract if the channels are dropped, there are already "apology offers" loaded into the customer service computers for them to use to appease you when you call to bitch about it. So yeah, they WILL drop the price when they drop the channels.

Third, having an opinion is fine. Rkr is trolling like he always does. Trolls need to stay under their bridges where they can revel in their warped realities and unfounded claims to their hearts content without pissing off the people who actually have brains.

I've been a member here since 04 so suck it. U must be Hooiser205, go back to dbstalk where u belong.

Is that supposed to impress me or something? And I don't know who this hoosier205 is, but I do remember you said the same thing the last time you posted some trollish ramblings and I pointed out how clueless you were.

It not about being an apologist or whatever childish name that ALWAYS gets thrown in when a conversation isn't going your way; HOWEVER its about using one's head and common sense and seeing the overall versus allowing your heart and emotions to drive irrational fears, comments and conclusions; especially those born out of pure bias.

as a person who has Dish Network, i hope you DirecTV customers don't lose out the Fox owned networks and stations after Nov. 1, because if you do, you will now feel our pain from last year. we had no FX, NatGeo and FSN RSNs for about 4 weeks, but we were lucky it didn't go from bad to worse as Dish and Fox settled and made a new contract to prevent the Fox O&Os and the Local TV LLC O&O that used to be owned by Fox to go dark on Dish Network.

Dam how about Fox5 NY... I gotta record my family shows

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

runs both ways, but if They want more money than that is a bunch of bs. Usual businesses trying to gauge everyone out of more money.

I usually tend to side with DirecTV in carrier disputes but do I have this part right?

This time around, as compared to the VS dispute, it's DirecTV that is not going to keep the Fox channels lit while negotions continue.
During the VS dispute, it was Comcast that pulled that feed and refused to allow VS to remain lit during the negotiations.

If I have this part right, I wonder why DirecTV is not allowing the Fox channels to remain lit?

I usually tend to side with DirecTV in carrier disputes but do I have this part right?

This time around, as compared to the VS dispute, it's DirecTV that is not going to keep the Fox channels lit while negotions continue.
During the VS dispute, it was Comcast that pulled that feed and refused to allow VS to remain lit during the negotiations.

If I have this part right, I wonder why DirecTV is not allowing the Fox channels to remain lit?

I have not seen ANYTHING that said that was going to happen.

Lots of posturing happens when the crunch time comes.
Like I've said all along, you'll have to wait till then to see what actually happens.

Maybe it's because it's the STATION demanding the money ...

I think when it all comes down to it, it will be extended and they will stay on the air and work it out, like they do with MOST of the rest of thier negotiations.

VS dispute was over 1 channel, this is over a bunch of channels.

scoop8 said:

Yes sir you are correct. Why Directv does this? Who knows!

Fox says it has proposed to allow DirecTV to continue to carry its networks for the current price and terms while negotiations continue. "Unfortunately, DirecTV has decided that unless they get their way, they are going to pull the plug on their customers Nov. 1."

man im really getting sick of all these corporate guys dickin us people around first dam sports now the tv ...we bust our asses to have these things and they screw us for it ... man i wish i could go robin hood on these jackelopes and give everyone free satellite service for a year for being douchebags...sigh...ok i think im goood now..i got that off my chest..lol

Yes sir you are correct. Why Directv does this? Who knows!

Fox says it has proposed to allow DirecTV to continue to carry its networks for the current price and terms while negotiations continue. "Unfortunately, DirecTV has decided that unless they get their way, they are going to pull the plug on their customers Nov. 1."

I already told you why. It's because by Directv firing the first shot and putting Fox on notice that they will pull the channels, it puts Directv in the position of power so they can beat Fox's unreasonable price demands back to a more reasonable level. The other option is to let them stay until the negotiations stall, which gives Fox the opportunity to pull them and hold them hostage until Directv pays out the ass - which is exactly what happened with Dish, Cablevision, Comcast, TWC, and others. Yes it is just one more example of making the customer suffer for something they have no control over, but I would much rather see Directv have their boot on Fox's neck than the other way around. If Fox gets their way, we pay for it. At least Mike White is willing to put up a fight on our behalf rather than bending over like Charlie did.

The thing is though now Fox is using that strategy to make Directv look like the monster that doesn't want to negotiate (as shown by that quote) because Directv has taken away all of their leverage. And it works because of all the oblivious people out there, such as yourself. Now I did not mean any offense by that, I'm using it as an example as to why such a tactic works - because people just don't understand WHY Directv is playing hardball. All they see is "YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR FOX PROGRAMMING AND IT'S ALL DIRECTV'S FAULT!". Except that cute little website neglects to tell you that Fox has extorted higher fees out of several other providers by pulling the channels and holding them hostage, and 100% of the cost increase is passed on directly to us. So even though Directv looks bad by pulling the channels, it is a strategic move and it will directly benefit you the customer.

Last edited:
I already told you why. It's because by Directv firing the first shot and putting Fox on notice that they will pull the channels, it puts Directv in the position of power so they can beat Fox's unreasonable price demands back to a more reasonable level. The other option is to let them stay until the negotiations stall, which gives Fox the opportunity to pull them and hold them hostage until Directv pays out the ass - which is exactly what happened with Dish, Cablevision, Comcast, TWC, and others. Yes it is just one more example of making the customer suffer for something they have no control over, but I would much rather see Directv have their boot on Fox's neck than the other way around. If Fox gets their way, we pay for it. At least Mike White is willing to put up a fight on our behalf rather than bending over like Charlie did.

The thing is though now Fox is using that strategy to make Directv look like the monster that doesn't want to negotiate (as shown by that quote) because Directv has taken away all of their leverage. And it works because of all the oblivious people out there, such as yourself. Now I did not mean any offense by that, I'm using it as an example as to why such a tactic works - because people just don't understand WHY Directv is playing hardball. All they see is "YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR FOX PROGRAMMING AND IT'S ALL DIRECTV'S FAULT!". Except that cute little website neglects to tell you that Fox has extorted higher fees out of several other providers by pulling the channels and holding them hostage, and 100% of the cost increase is passed on directly to us. So even though Directv looks bad by pulling the channels, it is a strategic move and it will directly benefit you the customer.

Well put !

How will this effect NHL Center Ice subscribers? I live in Chicago, but am a St. Louis Blues follower. Will I still get FSMW feed via the NHL Center Ice channel or does that go away as well? I haven't signed up yet, but I was going to after the free trial runs out this weekend.

I switched from Dish this past summer, and had Center Ice with them last year. They still had all of the Center Ice games, but none of the Fox Net or MSG broadcasts were available in HD. I think they also blocked the commercials that those channels ran during the games.

^ Jersey, Jimbo, thanks for the info on that expl. I had been wondering why this time (Fox) was different than the VS dispute last year. As much as I'll miss the RSN's if we get the worst-case scenario and they're pulled, I'd rather see an equitable solution to the next carriage contract. I get a break this time with the NHL season since I mainly watch the MSG feeds in CI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)