DirecTV could lose G4 (Removed 11-1)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Way back in the day with the bud we never had contract disputes. We bought what we wanted directly from the programmers. That was the best thing since WE controlled it, not some greedy corporate honchos that only care about the bottom line. We'll in this instance with G4 the bud is still king. It started out as ZDTV and was great. Back then the only place you could get it was the bud. Now that Comcast owns it beside the programming sucks they are in power. Isn't Verses also owned by Comcast? I get a feeling that Comcast and DirecTV don't have a good working relationship. In a way I'm glad HITS on W5 is owned by Comcast if I need a channel Direct can't supply that is Comcast owned I can always subscribe there.

D* carried ZDTV since basically the beginning. I think it was only a matter of a month or two that it was only on bud. ZD owned it (even under the TechTV name) up until it went G4 in 04-05ish

D* carried ZDTV since basically the beginning. I think it was only a matter of a month or two that it was only on bud. ZD owned it (even under the TechTV name) up until it went G4 in 04-05ish

ZD sold it to Paul Allen that was the name change from zd to techtv then allen sold to comcast which merged with its g4 channel.

I sort of remember Leo and Kate on the screen savers talking about Direct picking it up a few months in. I saw the first days on the bud and they said we are only available on the bud. They were analog with no encryption. Later when they became Tech Tv they encrypted using Scientific Atlanta's PowerVu . I didn't have a DVB receiver back then so they were lost for me. Even though they went DVB they were still free. When Comcast took over they went to secure mode. It's the old story the damn cable giants get control remove free access and screw up the channel. When the ratings fall off services like Direct toss them and they wonder why.

BTW I think Direct statistical multiplexer tossed the G4 bit's back at the other channels. I noticed some picture improvement on other channels using that transponder. I say cut the deadwood and give us the bits back to the good channels! :up

EDIT:
Channels sharing G4's mux. These channels gained a bit of bandwidth with G4 being a slate now.

D8-101 Transponder 27:
CNN, Cooking, SyFy, BBC America, Disney East, Nick JR, VH1 Classic, GMC, Showtime 2, Showtime 3. There are 2 sonic channels on there too but they use very little.

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I was watching one of these last night but it all makes sense the quality would be better with more bits in the bit pool. It also depends on the master source coming in. I know that Disneys SD master is fantastic I've seen it so it looks real good. I also seen, Cooking, Showtime, SyFy, and BBC America they have a good masters too. Nick Jr and VH1 classic masters are a bit bittstarved so they may not be as good. Can't comment on CNN and GMC never saw the masters. Loosing G4 is a good thing :)

Last edited:
I'm probably the last person to understand this but I didn't realize until I read it elsewhere today, D* is dropping G4 completely, never to be seen again on D*. So this just isn't a run of the mill carriage fees dispute. Supposedly G4 was offered to D* at the same rate they are currently paying today but D* said no thanks.

Directv G4 channel is history.

I really watched that channel. I would have to say this could make me start thinking of other options.

you have to remember tho; those channels PAY to get aired.. we would notice that loss of revenue by paying an even higher monthly subscriber cost each month.

They have about what, 20 or 30 shopping channels and 24 hour infomercial channels? They could dump those and it would be years before anyone noticed.. :D

They are a waste of bandwidth IMHO. I never see them since they are locked out. Who really watches these?

Meh, if charper is right and D* gets paid to carry them versus paying to carry, then leave em. Just as easy to lock them out.

Like others have said, this isn't anywhere near the FOX and Dish dispute. However, it can be if one of two things happen. 1.) Comcast and NBCU merge and Comcast starts putting some of its bi-annual olympic coverage on G4. 2.) Comcast waits for other contracts to expire for other owned channels and refuse carriage rights for those channels unless G4 is included.

There could also be a combo of both possibilities. Comcast trying to pull NBC, CSN, MSNBC, CNBC, E!, Style, etc.

If that happened, the wrestling nerds would be angry if they lost USA and SyFy over a dispute.

Last edited:
How much longer before the court system, starts getting involved? I for one do not care G4 is gone. I did watch it, but very seldom. I do find it funny that G4 is basically blaming D* and D* is like MEH. Which is what they should be like. Losing G4 will not affect subs, those few who leave for G4 should be offered some free pron. I see no reason for G4 except for Olivia...and she is more less gone too.

I hope the courts NEVER get involved. Free market; put a great product out there that the majority wants and you will reap the rewards; don't and you will be pushed to the side.

But some CSN are part owned by fox and some comcast only has 20% of CSN CHI. and D* with the teams owning the rest. renewed some of the CSN deals when VS came back.

As for the Olympic FOX and espn may want to get the rights and the us Olympic committee does have some say in the tv as well.

But some CSN are part owned by fox and some comcast only has 20% of CSN CHI. and D* with the teams owning the rest. renewed some of the CSN deals when VS came back.

As for the Olympic FOX and espn may want to get the rights and the us Olympic committee does have some say in the tv as well.

Not sure how to read this or what it means; can you decipher it or place some punctuation please? Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts