DirecTv Deceptive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I really don't like the way they handle their receivers and yes you did get screwed a little by getting a HR34 instead of the HR44 and you get the same exact contract to boot. You can't specifically order what you want unless you get it through solid signal or pay for it. If its free its whatever you get and I'm pretty sure its on the order paper work somewhere in fine print.

The only way to do this is to be a nerd like many of us and research research research because if you don't D* can pretty much legally screw you. Well the installer essentially screwed you and took advantage of your ignorance D* was just an accomplice whose policies allowed inferior gear to go to someone that didn't know better.

Your only chance was to cancel the install before you signed the contract.

?
Before the 44 came out , it wasn't inferior ...

DirecTV never has guaranteed a particular model - this applies both to the Genies and to the regular DVRs. For an install, you get whatever the installer has on the truck. If you really want an HR44 instead of an HR34, you can ask the installer when he shows up. Some people have been known to refuse an install if they can't get the model they wanted. If you got an HR34, this isn't a switch by DirecTV. The order just says "genie", it does not specify any particular model. In fact the CSR can't specify a particular model in the ordering system.

The poster isn't new to satguys, and there are enough posts about DirecTv's policy on models to inform anyone who wants to look.

I really wish D* would allow you to get what you order.
Its been an issue all along ..

For those asking what features that I'm missing.............. The point of my initial post is that I was not given the HR44 that I specifically ordered.

On a side note what is the "Double Play" feature?

For those asking what features that I'm missing.............. The point of my initial post is that I was not given the HR44 that I specifically ordered.
unless you buy it from a retailer you can't "specify" any particular model. You get a model from the particular "family" (SD receiver, HD receiver, HD DVR, Genie)

double play allows you to buffer 2 different channels for up to 90 minutes.
so lets say you're on your local RSN (regional sports channel) and you want to change stations but not lose the buffer (so you can back up)
press down arrow twice...double play starts
now change the channel to say CBS for the Masters

pressing the down arrow will flip you between the RSN and CBS and not lose the buffer on either so you can back up if you miss something. If you do change the station the buffer does dump.

unless you buy it from a retailer you can't "specify" any particular model. You get a model from the particular "family" (SD receiver, HD receiver, HD DVR, Genie)

double play allows you to buffer 2 different channels for up to 90 minutes.
so lets say you're on your local RSN (regional sports channel) and you want to change stations but not lose the buffer (so you can back up)
press down arrow twice...double play starts
now change the channel to say CBS for the Masters

pressing the down arrow will flip you between the RSN and CBS and not lose the buffer on either so you can back up if you miss something. If you do change the station the buffer does dump.

How do you change the channel for the second one? It always goes to channel 201.

I forget about this feature until someone mentions it on here. I give up with it because it works so infrequently, but I suspect there is a precise sequence that I am messing up. I can get it to work occasionally, but 95% of the time, I can't figure out how to get the second channel to be anything other than 201. If i change the channel, it kills both buffers.

How do you change the channel for the second one? It always goes to channel 201.
When double play starts it does seem to go to 201 but I would just change the channel. Both buffers would work fine.

I forget about this feature until someone mentions it on here. I give up with it because it works so infrequently, but I suspect there is a precise sequence that I am messing up. I can get it to work occasionally, but 95% of the time, I can't figure out how to get the second channel to be anything other than 201. If i change the channel, it kills both buffers.

lemme try it here at my moms but the sequence is
be on the first channel you want to watch (or currently watching)
down arrow
down arrow....wait for it to start and usually sends you to 201
change channel to whatever you want to also watch

down arrow to flip between the two

When double play starts it does seem to go to 201 but I would just change the channel. Both buffers would work fine.

lemme try it here at my moms but the sequence is
be on the first channel you want to watch (or currently watching)
down arrow
down arrow....wait for it to start and usually sends you to 201
change channel to whatever you want to also watch

down arrow to flip between the two

I want to flip between 640 and 649-1. I did the sequence. I started on 649-1 It was going between 201 and 640.

I powered it off and powered it back on, and it worked correctly, as you described. Does the buffer/channel memory have to be completely clear?

just tried it and it works fine on a HR24

was watching BTN (610)
hit down arrow (waited for popup)
hit down arrow again....receiver switched to 201
switched to local Fox station (9)
hit down arrow and it jumped back to 610...buffer in tact
hit down arrow again and it jumped back to 9...buffer in tact (could back up about a minute)

I want to flip between 640 and 649-1. I did the sequence. I started on 649-1 It was going between 201 and 640.
I've seen issues when dealing with RSN alt channels. One thing I noticed is if the channel isnt in a favorite list (if using one) it may not go back to that channel.

Does the buffer/channel memory have to be completely clear?
nope. shouldnt have to be.

I always have that same issue ...

I've seen issues when dealing with RSN alt channels. One thing I noticed is if the channel isnt in a favorite list (if using one) it may not go back to that channel.

Yeah, the two channels definitely have to be in a favorites list, even for the "prev" button. All alternates for my local RSNs are in my main favorites list (And all alternates are in the second list, which I use for "clutter" channels, but stuff I like to scroll through sometimes).

Anyway, it does work, but I have to power off the receiver first. I have played with it now. I wish channels always changed as fast as the two channels in the double play buffer...

Thanks for the description, I have the same issue, but have it working now ! :)

Lets see if I can get ti working later ... :(

I"m actually suprised that you have almost 2K post on this site and are just now realizing that Dish and Direc can be a little "uninforming" sometimes. As my 8 year old says, " you get what you get and you dont get upset".....LOL

Always check this site before getting any type of install.
The genie install has been discussed here many times.
You may have researched but you looked in the wrong place for the correct info. :(

I"m actually suprised that you have almost 2K post on this site and are just now realizing that Dish and Direc can be a little "uninforming" sometimes. As my 8 year old says, " you get what you get and you dont get upset".....LOL

I try to see the humor in what you're saying, but it doesn't explain why DirecTV is screwing people and it all seems acceptable, and in some instances some being sympathetic to DirecTV. Sounds like some form of "Stockholm Syndrome" to me.

Babadem, I had a similar issue when I first signed up years ago. I sent you a PM.

Edit: It doesn't show up in my sent folder though... so hopefully it went through...
Edit 2: Ok, apparently you have to check a box to have a copy in your sent folder... never mind

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.