Directv denies BestBuy HD Receiver Rebate

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jrodger322

Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
When strolling thru' my BestBuy store in late October I found H-10 and H-20 receivers promoted at $200 with a $200 rebate. I asked if I was eligible because I was already an HD subscriber. BestBuy assured me I was so I bought an H-10. When studying my rebate forms at home I noted that I had to fill out the BestBuy reabate form, activate the HD receiver, request a Directv rebate form, and mail everything in after attaching a copy of my next bill showing receiver activation. AND, the receipt said the rebate was only available to Detroit market customers. Since I am not a Detroit market customer I called Directv to see if I should return the H-10 to BestBuy because it was NOT rebate eligible. The first rep. said it was not eligible and referred me to another rep who said it WAS eligible, so I activated it and requested my rebate form. When the rebate form and my bill came several weeks later I filed for my rebate. Yesterday I got a letter rejecting my rebate claim because I was NOT ELIGIBLE. I called and eventually got to Customer Retention who resolved my complaint by giving me a $200 credit toward my future months bills. It seems BestBuy did this to more than just me so this appears to be the Directv policy for resolving complaints such as mine.

I don't think that is anything unusual. Several years ago I needed another receiver and didn't want to wait on the one DTV was going to send me for free. The CSR asked me if I had a BB locally. When I said yes, he said if I didn't mind waiting on the rebate, just get it there and if anyone said anything about the "new customer" thing just ask for customer retention.

Take this as a lesson learned the easy way since you are getting your $200. You chose to believe the rep who said it was good, when another rep said it was not. That should be a red flag! I would want an email or some form of proof in a situation like that.

BestBuy HD Receiver Rebate

riggscm
Rule 1: Never EVER trust a Best Buy rep.
As a Best Buy Magnolia home theater pro I take offense to that. My sales and custom install team at my store visit this site often. And yes I will say that some stores do not there guys trained properly there are some that are very knowledgeable on DirecTV and Home Theater equipment. If you can see if there is a magnolia home theater best buy near you. The magnolia store are better trained by venders and tend to carry more of a selection and be able to get the new stuff faster. We were able to get H20's in before anyone else in the area.
currently we are offering:
D10 $49.99
D11 $99.99 (not sure why the jump in price over the D10)
R15 $99.99 - 100 MIR for new and existing customers
H20 $200 - $200 MIR for new and existing customers
H10 $200 - $200 MIR for new and existing customers (limited availability)
HR10-250 $599.99 - $200 MIR for new and existing customers
Limit one rebate per model.
This should be the same as everywhere else.
I have done the rebate on a H20 and R15 without any problems.

The HD rebate started 10/16/05 in the Detroit market but didn't start in the rest of the country until 11/25/05. If you purchased your receiver in late Oct. outside of the Detroit market BB jumped the gun on the promotion, be thankful Directv valued you as a customer and gave you the $200 discount.

Jg2003chevy said:
riggscm
Rule 1: Never EVER trust a Best Buy rep.
As a Best Buy Magnolia home theater pro I take offense to that.

Sorry Jg2003chevy, but I have to agree with riggscm on this one. I've had Best Buy people tell me so many wrong things that I don't even listen anymore. I'm sure there are some that are okay and I'm sure a lot of stores are going to have this type of problem. However I know Best Buy has told me bogus information in the past and I will no longer trust them. I still shop at Best Buy for the prices, just not the information.

-JustBob

I will have to agree with riggscm also. It never fails that while in the store I hear a BB rep telling the customer he MUST have an HD antenna to get HD stations. I correct them whenever I hear that on the spot. The reps always get bent out of shape bu their customer appreciates it. :)

I too got a rejection letter from a Best Buy purchase of R10. I called Customer Retention and they told me a bunch of "rejection" letters were sent out by mistake. She said wait for a couple weeks and if I don't get the check, call them back and they will give me a credit for $100.

It really does depend on who you get at a BB. I just got my TV from them and I did all my research online. Yet when I got to the store the manager of the department knew a lot more than I had been able to find out. He even swayed me away from buying some things at his store because they were, in his words, "not worth the money". He said things like, "you don't need this" or "this is nice to have but wait and see if you need it". I really appreciate that kind of candor.

Plywodstatebum said:
I had BeastBi telling me that Monster was the best product on the market, I laughed and walked out the door and went somewhere else.

I agree I like the build quality of monster but we have had some problems with the monster "tight fit ends" actually pulling the connectors of the back of the sat recievers. At our store we are lucky enough to be able to carry Audioquest. The build quality is the same as the monster but cheapier cables and ends that won't damage the equipment.

Yeah, BB employees have told me (and other people I've overheard) some pretty outrageous crap. I once heard an employee tell this older guy that the TV he was interested in would require an external HD tuner. This TV had a built-in ATSC tuner. I don't know if the employee just didn't know, or if he was really trying to screw the guy out of money. Once the employee went away I stepped in and explained that the TV would certainly NOT require an HD tuner. It just pisses me off to no end when retail employees do that. I had an employee tell me that the "upconverting" on an HD upconverting DVD player was only 480p. Those employees were both
freak3.gif

About 4 months ago my E8 died and I went to BB to get a new receiver. Like any time I go there I research what I want ahead of time. While I was getting it, I asked them about the new MPG4 units and when they were coming out. They had no clue about what I was even talking about, so we talked and I explained to them about how the new H20 receivers were going to replace the H10's and new 5 LNB were going to replace the 3 LNB ones. By the time I was done, I had 3 salesmen and their supervisor standing around asking me questions, about the new MPG4 systems.

It amazes me how they put people in stores and let them sell products they know little or nothing about. Granted the H20s were not out, in this area at that time, but with all of the publicity and advertising that was being done by D*, you think they would have briefed their DirecTV sales people about it as an upcoming product, to answer customers questions.

The best thing to do is deal with people like Value Electronics, who know what they are selling. I should have, but wanted to replace the dead receiver that day, it was opening day for hockey season.

D* will be out of Best Buy by the end of the year. Trust me. Any doubters? Because I'm accepting bets. :D

Out of BB by the end of 2006????? :haha No way are they going to cut out that much money. What is your reasoning on this one?

You get what you pay for and BB gets employees that are near minimum wage and all they are there for is to collect a check.

What do you think the average time is for a BB employee?

They don't get paid anymore money to provide good versus bad advice and I basically ignore the sales staff. Hell I have been doing A/V longer than a lot of them have been alive.

Average time for a BB employee? I have no clue. I know the one here is pretty good about keeping it's employees. There are several at this one that have been there for several years.

I think it is all in how you look at salesmen. I have the attitude that places like Circuit City will send you to the products that have the highest commissions. I guess you think that BB doesn't care. I think both want their customers to come back and have incentive to make sure that they do.

All that being said, is BB a Sound Advice? No. But where I live there is not even ONE high end electronics shop. If I want that I either do the online thing or drive three hours. Who the heck wants to do that for a D* receiver?

iceondsom said:
D* will be out of Best Buy by the end of the year. Trust me. Any doubters? Because I'm accepting bets. :D

Nothing could be further from the truth. DirecTV absolutely needs a BIG retail presence. Having D* equipment next to HDTVs gets people thinking (regardless of how the BB staff is perceived).

Status
Please reply by conversation.