Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd miss Comedy Central but that's about it. Directv just posted a message about it on their Facebook about it:

"
DIRECTV has absolutely no intention of removing your favorite Viacom networks like Nickelodeon, Comedy Central or MTV. But, unfortunately, Viacom executives sent a letter to us today, forcing us to take these channels down by midnight tomorrow if we don’t come to an agreement."

Stargazer said:
Anybody got video / pictures of both of them with their crawls on the channels at the same time?

Not the best quality, but here's pics of both scrolls on the channels that are displaying both (nicktoons, nick jr, etc, aren't showing both)

Attachments

• image-2666115288.jpg
    image-2666115288.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 342
  • image-233624393.jpg
    image-233624393.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 397
  • image-1275802272.jpg
    image-1275802272.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 342
  • image-1394863832.jpg
    image-1394863832.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 314
  • image-860471986.jpg
    image-860471986.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 287
StarClout said:
Not the best quality, but here's pics of both scrolls on the channels that are displaying both (nicktoons, nick jr, etc, aren't showing both)

Those pictures look pretty funny. Here's hoping it gets resolved quickly. But I'm all for Direct taking a stand against increases.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You think the bitching and moaning over the loss of AMC on Dish was bad? I'd hate to be a DTV CSR come tomorrow. I do hope they get this resolved quickly though. This type of thing isn't good for anyone.

They are pulling this at the perfect time. A LOT of those channels are programming for kids/tweens/teens. If this happened during the school year, it would be a much smaller issue. During TV time we've got Nick or one of the Nick channels on 75% of the time. Looks like it's time to call in and demand some premiums for the next month. (Does the Starz/Showtime tier carry many kids programs?)

The channels.listed by iceberg are the main channels.watched in my household. Looks like i might be canvelling directv if thise go oit..what other providefd will still carry these channels??

What what annoying banner from Viacom to take up 25% of the screen.

I guess if DirecTV/Viacom keep fighting I'll have to have my parents w/ Time Warner DVR some of my shows for me
MTV: Awkward(also on MTV.com)
Comedy: Daily Show(also on Hulu Plus)
Spike: IMPACT Wrestling(also uploaded to Youtube by many people)

But one funny thing I noticed from DirecTVpromise.com website under Spike they have Blue Mountain State which Spike axed in February and they no longer air repeats of. The producers of that show are trying to get another channel to pick it up or to make a movie. DirecTV should pick the show up lol

The best way to end all this bull sh*t is to have alarcate pricing, then the customer could choose what they want and whether its worth it.These frigin programmers are just to greedy. 90% of the channels are just crap anyways.

viclovr said:
ya until dish and Viacom have their contract negotiation. we all know how good dish is at keeping channels on their line up.

I believe Dish and Viacom had a dispute back in 2004.

However, although I know this is the DirecTV forum and those come to the Dish forum when channels get dropped, all providers seem to have contract disputes. Some providers including Dish (AMC Networks), DirecTV (G4 and Lifetime Real Women), and Uverse (Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channel) had disputes in the past with channels not returning. Therefore, I do not think everyone should just blame certain providers. Although we do not know contract details, for all we know the channel owners could be the ones playing hardball and acting completely innocent.

I am okay with Dish doing what they need to do to keep our bill down. As long as they work with us in a fair way, then I am okay even if that means credits, free premiums, freebies (like a Roku), etc. We had DirecTV and were paying a lot more than Dish. We chose price as one reason for switching as well as channel package selections. I know that DirecTV did not seem to have channel disputes when we had them (with the exception of Lifetime Real Women), but I think they are realizing now that they cannot just give in since prices will have to rise. In the end, the subscriber or customer is the one who loses.

Another issue is that channel owners are acquiring a lot of channels and building a monopoly for when it comes time to negotiate.

Last edited:
Dang I went to bed too early last night.

Here is what I got from DIRECTV last night after I went to bed.

[h=6]DIRECTV has absolutely no intention of removing your favorite Viacom networks like Nickelodeon, Comedy Central or MTV. But, unfortunately, Viacom executives sent a letter to us today, forcing us to take these channels down by midnight tomorrow if we don’t come to an agreement.

We asked Viacom to allow us to keep the channels up while we continue to negotiate but they refused. They are using this tactic to try and leverage over a 30% increase (that’s an additional one billion dollars) from our customers. We’re working diligently on a new agreement to keep making these channels available at a fair price to our customers.

But in the meantime, ask Viacom to do the right thing and give DIRECTV the permission to keep these channels on while we continue to negotiate. We will also ask Viacom to keep making these networks available during any of our private business discussions.
[/h]

Looks like this could have taken DIRECTV by surprise...

Check out their Twitter feed, it says the crawl that was on NICK was an accident.

DIRECTV ?@DIRECTV Customers: the issue with MTV airing on Nickelodeon was an accident originating from the networks themselves, not a DIRECTV error.

The story changes a five full hours later.

DIRECTV ?@DIRECTV

DIRECTV has no intention of removing Viacom networks like Nick, Comedy Central & MTV #DirectvHasMyBack

To be clear DIRECTV has every intention of keeping Viacom channels up until we get a deal done. Read more => http://directvpromise.com

DIRECTV is not removing Nick, MTV, Comedy! TV Land and other Viacom channels => http://directvpromise.com #DIRECTVHasMyBack

Wow, miss checking the front page for a day or two and I totally missed this.
The loss of the nick channels for the kid would be terrible.

Hopefully they can keep this short. D* usually does.

Thanks for the info Scott!
I would not have noticed until the rare time I like to catch the Cobert Report. The guy cracks me up sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

while i abhor the loss of any channels

i can live without most of these
i always thought mtv and vh1 were wastes of airwaves anyway

wonder if we can get direct to argue with lifetime too, id love to see em drop that :)

Not a Direct TV subscriber. Just based on past performance Direct TV does not drop channels in dispute for any real length of time, if at all. However Viacom seemingly suddenly taking a hard stance may not bode well. I hope Direct TV does not cave and holds them to a reasonable amount.

Are Viacom shows available on Roku? Just sayin. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts