Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You need to try harder Mike. :)

I think the next dispute Viscom has they will think twice about using Facebook. :)

Now only if we as consumers could stick together and fight for a cause I would live to organize a campaign to contact congress and say enough is enough.

Well, actually, it's more than a few words. The Viacom page on FB is completely overrun with people slamming the company. If 98% of the comments on MY FB page were slamming me, I might do something as well! ;)

Finally caught up with this thread. The big loser for me if I was a D* sub would be Comedy Central since we record the daily show and colbert report all the time. But my solution would be to watch them online the next day since I can.

You need to try harder Mike. :)

I think the next dispute Viscom has they will think twice about using Facebook. :)

Now only if we as consumers could stick together and fight for a cause I would live to organize a campaign to contact congress and say enough is enough.

Well, that's just it, Scott. Congress or the government has no place whatsoever in this. This is simply the free market at work. Viacom, etc., have four providers to deal with, DirecTV, Dish, UVerse and the local cable company. It's trying to maximize its profit and run the business as cheaply as possible. IF and only IF Direct and Dish will slap them down, will Viacom get the message that the cheap way they've run the channels has devalued the product.

Now what the government SHOULD do is stop local channels....which broadcast on OUR AIRWAVES...from yanking their signals from cable or satellite. But a private producer that runs only over wires for distribution....nope, different story IMHO.

After reading through this thread and getting educated a bit, my question to all of you is if Directv does drop Viacom will they pass the savings onto their customers? I can't imagine paying the same price for a service missing channels that consist of 20% of they're viewers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Oh, absolutely not, because this is a temporary interruption. If you want a service credit for the few days the Viacom channels are gone, I'm sure you can get it. But they'll be back. However, if DirecTV caves, you bill WILL go up.

And there's a new FB site for the anti-Viacom types: STOP Viacom Greed | Facebook

I just called Viacom and Bitched them out. Thanks for you post scott on Viacom CEO and his $43 million dollar year!

Also Viacom made $535 Million in the 2nd Quarter a 24% increase!

After the digital changeover three years ago, lots of folks can't get their over-the-air signals of all big 4 networks. Back in the analog days, we did. I can only imagine if analog TV didn't die and the digital change over didn't became law, we would have more signals IMHO.

At Sun Valley, BET Founder Casts Doubts on Cable-TV Pricing - WSJ.com

Mr. Johnson said cable operators "cannot continue to...pass onto consumers 10% increases in programming costs."
"In the next two or three years…something is going to give," he said. "At some point the consumer is going to say enough is enough."

Mr. Johnson sold BET to Viacom VIAB -1.58% in 2001 and he stayed at the entertainment company overseeing the African-American-targeted TV network until 2006. His comments came on the same day that Viacom is threatening to pull its channels, including BET, from the DirecTV DTV -0.61% satellite service in a dispute over programming costs.

I feel that Viacom is going all 1984. They keep telling us 2+2 = 5. Any time anyone speaks the truth on their Facebook page they censor it and block the person like Newspeak & Unperson. lol

Out of the blue, that's for sure.
This morning my young daughter woke me up on my day off work with "There is a message on my TV that Nick is going away!!"
I don't watch these channels very often, but my 4 kids do.... Hopefully it gets worked out.

Funny how often this seems to be going on now, AMC with Dish, Viacom with DirecTV, blah... when does it end?
I wish we could hear the "real" numbers about how much Viacom gets now, not just a "30% increase", and "pennies a day" Supposedly the exisitng contract was in place longer than a normal contract of this kind.

Well, that's just it, Scott. Congress or the government has no place whatsoever in this. This is simply the free market at work. Viacom, etc., have four providers to deal with, DirecTV, Dish, UVerse and the local cable company. It's trying to maximize its profit and run the business as cheaply as possible. IF and only IF Direct and Dish will slap them down, will Viacom get the message that the cheap way they've run the channels has devalued the product.

I do believe that if the government got involved it would mess things up more then they are now, but something needs to be done.

Viacom really has NOTHING to gain by using their viewers as pawns like this, in fact it shows that they don't give a rats ass about their viewers. There is no reason in the world for them to DEMAND that DIRECTV pull down the channels if they are still talking. If the channels are pulled down, not only do they upset 20 million customers, but they also lose a large amount of ad revenue. In addition they have no income coming from DIRECTV, so they lose all around.

I have no doubt in my mind that they WILL come to terms, but I don't know if that will be tonight tomorrow or next week. They NEED each other.

I don't understand this smear campaign against DIRECTV making them look like they are the evil ones who are pulling the plug on these channels, when this is not the case. Now I also know DIRECTV is not innocent, but the way Viacom is going about this is all wrong. Take a look at all these new Anti DIRECTV ads, look at the fact that they have all of their celebrities that have shows on their network tweeting how evil DIRECTV is. This was planned a long time ago. Now DIRECTV claims (and from what I have seen from them I believe them) that they had no idea this was happening until yesterday when they got the letter demanding take down of the channels tonight. Again I ask why the deliberate smear campaign against DIRECTV?

What can be done by consumers for consumers to insure that we are not victems in events like this? We only want to watch TV and pay our satellite bill.

This WILL get resolved and it can be done without pissing over millions of customers. And the other thing that concerns me is that after DIRECTV whos next?

These companies should be partners working together to serve their viewers and its sad to see millions treated like crap just because one company wants to treat them like crap.

PMKS said:
Out of the blue, that's for sure.
This morning my young daughter woke me up on my day off work with "There is a message on my TV that Nick is going away!!"
I don't watch these channels very often, but my 4 kids do.... Hopefully it gets worked out.

Funny how often this seems to be going on now, AMC with Dish, Viacom with DirecTV, blah... when does it end?
I wish we could hear the "real" numbers about how much Viacom gets now, not just a "30% increase", and "pennies a day" Supposedly the exisitng contract was in place longer than a normal contract of this kind.

I am sick & tired of hearing the "pennies per day" argument. When ALL the broadcasters claim that, pennies per day = dollars per month.

TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter talked on TNA Today about about them being on Spike and how the channel will be going off of DirecTV. She said she called DirecTV and complained to them. She said she orders every single channel DirecTV has(even the XXX channels? lol). My favorite thing she said was her and Jeremy Borash(the host of the show) have DirecTV they said they will be dropping it from their homes tommrow if a deal is not reached. But the next thing Dixie said was most of TNA's PPV buys come rom DirecTV.

Its atbottom of their page TNA Today (July 10) Dixie Carter On DirecTV and Viacom Dispute, New Show

DirecTV responded to her on twitter(I guess someone at DirecTV watched the video) DirecTV's twitter wrote to her
@TNADixie We will not remove any channels unless Viacom forces us to.

TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter talked on TNA Today about about them being on Spike and how the channel will be going off of DirecTV. She said she called DirecTV and complained to them. She said she orders every single channel DirecTV has(even the XXX channels? lol). My favorite thing she said was her and Jeremy Borash(the host of the show) have DirecTV they said they will be dropping it from their homes tommrow if a deal is not reached. But the next thing Dixie said was most of TNA's PPV buys come rom DirecTV.

Its atbottom of their page TNA Today (July 10) Dixie Carter On DirecTV and Viacom Dispute, New Show

DirecTV responded to her on twitter(I guess someone at DirecTV watched the video) DirecTV's twitter wrote to her

Way to go Directv :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts