Directv DVR-10 and contract question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

marxman

Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
earth
Hi,

I have a Directv DVR10 and I think its shot. Suddenly today it says "searching for sat on 1 and 2". In set up I get 0 signal strength.

dish is place, cables are tight, lnb is good.

Anyway, my question is, if I go to best buy and buy a new directv dvr receiver and set it up and activate it, will directv extend my contract for 2 years?

that would be some bs. but i have read about it.

any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you activate a new DVR from best buy, yes, it adds two years.

Are you sure your dish hasn't lost aim, or that the LNB hasn't died. Try unplugging everything for 30 minutes and then pluging it in again, this is important to cut power to the LNB.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

thanks for the help. i will unplug it. i am a wings fan also, you rule. is there a way you recomend that i can get my receiver replaced without a contract or is that just not possible?

also, its certainly possible its not my receiver. is there any way to tell?

the only thing i know is that it suddenly dropped all signal. it didnt fade in and out like when it rains, it was just sudden on both 1 and 2. although before it dropped for good, it did drop like 5 mins before but came back when i changed the channel. then dropped for good. i reset it, but now i cant get past the dish set up part because it cant aquire info from the sat.

also, when i did go out and i got the "searching for sig on sat 1 and 2" i noticed that when i would change the channel, it still had the correct time and correct shows listed at the top. not sure what that means.

up until this point it worked totally fine.

i have a replacement lnb that i have on hand and i replaced it and it didnt change anything.

thanks again

Last edited:
Do you have any other D* box to "test the line" with? I have seen something as simple as a water in a connector causing sudden signal loss. And you have maybe a .001% chance that D* will not extend the contract and the only way to even come close is to go directly through D*.

The time / show info on top is not makinga difference, it is coming from the guide stored in memory.

Direct will replace the receiver with a comparable model, probably R15, R16, or R22, without renewing the contract in many (not all) cases, for just $19.95 shipping.

Since you have a signal issue, though, they will probably want to do a service call for $79, and come check the dish aim. The good part of that, however, is if the receiver is bad they would replace it onsite.

May be best to call tech support, let them know what you tried. I imagine they'll push for a service call, but maybe you can convience them to send out a receiver.

You could put in a service call, and ask the tech to replace the box, tell him since the current receiver is owned the replacement should be as well, do you have the pplan? Might wanna put in a call to Access Card Control.

dont have a pp plan.

do you know if its brutal in either expense or hassle to have sd equipment upgraded by directv?

i just got a 46" plasma and sd has been acceptable, but now with this problem and the 2 year contract gun to my head it might just be better to switch to fios.

is directv hd better than fios? im going to compare prices. from what i hear directv hd upgrades are a hassle and have heard of people not getting the install to work but still getting billed for the programming.

Honestly I would quit my job to be a verizon tech if it was available anywhere near me, but umm... what you actually asked uhh, yea I would upgrade to HD on a 46" id probably make the switch from 37 or higher actually, it shouldnt really be a "problem" as far as renewing goes, that im honestly not sure. If you were on the pplan for a while the receiver would be replace...... (pauses a minute) were you looking to replace the receiver for being defective without renewing? or upgrade to hd without renewing? to upgrade probably would be kinda hard, but to swap it for a newer box shouldnt be much hassle.

no, just swap not upgrade. the problem is, they dont sell my box anymore so i dont know if they would consider that an upgrade.

i just want my broken dvr box to be replaced with a new one. and i dont want to get locked into a contract.

i understand if they make you do a contract for upgrade, but not for replacements.

seems like some get dinged with contract, some dont.

Ok, thats what I thought, just because they dont sell your box anymore doesnt mean it becomes an upgrade, if you opened a s/c and the tech determined that the box needed to be replaced, the s/c would be closed with the resolution code Replaced IRD DVR. and dvr could be any model, it depends on what the tech has available to him at the time. And as long as the box thats bad is owned the replacement should* be owned. and i say should, you will probably need to call ACC to have it switched, but if the tech isnt busy and you offer him nice tip he shouldnt mind making the appropriate calls for you. Just keep in mind the final decision is d*'s and the tech has nothing to do with it.

Also just to add, I have done this for customers myself, so I know it can be done, but theres a specific dept in D* that has the authority to set it all up, and theres no outside 1800num to it.

what is acc? also, so if i get the box to be owned they wont extend my contract?

so bottom line if i put in a service call instead of going my own route i have a better chance of no contract?

im still debating switching to fios. but that is another thread.

thanks for the help so far. if you guys have anything else, post away.

ACC is Access Card Control, and its an internal division of Customer Support, you need to be transferred there, and yes if you get a service call and the box needs to be replaced then you bitch and complain that they shouldnt reissue your contract. the box is yours, your out of contract etc. What I would do is call CS and just give them the last 4 of your card on that box and ask is it leased or owned, then say thank you and hang up, call back and open a service call, when the tech gets there simply tell him i only want this box activated if access card control makes it owned and does not extend my contract, he should go ok, call in get a live person relay that message, get transferred to acc. they look over your account, ask to speak to you, tell you all the benefits of resigning (there arnt really any tho) and you say no thank you, my old box was owned and my new one should be as well, and im not renewing my contract, theres a problem with my existing hardware you need to fix it. just dont give in, you will win with the right agent.

By the way, expect to spend alot of time on the phone, and the tech is probably gonna get somewhat pissed because hes standing around doing nothing, hence why i said tip him, offer him a drink, sandwich, what have you, unfortunately theres not alot that he can do other than wait, and this is taking time out of his day. what would make me happy is like 5 or 10 bucks just to start the call because i know from here on out im sitting my ass down and this is gonna take a while, and if all goes well and hes not a complete jerk to you, then give him another 10 or 20 at the end for waiting it through like a champ, if he says he has to get going, well, he has a right to, this is a call between you and d* and he may have other jobs, offer to let him come back or something to that effect. Im just saying this because whenever I call into Access Card Control, its a fiasco, and my day is basically shot. and a nice tip and cup of coffee (or soda, pending time of day) would probably make me feel better since i just lost whatever driving time, and daylight to work in. so to recap all this, yes its possible, but will involve alot of arguing and a service call, because if the box is mailed to you your contract will be renewed once its activated. You need to get all this done prior to the box being added to your account, and a tech should know how to get this done. One last thing, when you sign paperwork for the visit make sure on the lease he checks off service call, because then it states that lease anduendam is not applicable. (yea i probably spelled that wrong) but it just means that your contract wont be renewed. and say that alot on the phone, but yea it can be done. Just put on a pot of coffee and kick your feet up while your on the phone. Youll be there for a while.

Best thing to do is download D*'s HD lineup and Verizons HD lineup and see which you would prefer. Cost verses availability of channels you want. Either way you go.. D*HD or Fios your going to be in a new contract. Quality... I would imagine that Fios is probably equivalent, but definitely better than any Non-HD offerings.

guys, thanks again for the help. so get this, i unplugged it for a few hours, turned it back on, and same thing no signal.

no signal all last night, no signal all today, then i try it right before bed for the hell of it and it works.

what in the world is that all about? now its working and back to normal.

i have had directv for 10 years, i have had lnb's go bad, receivers, etc. i never in my life had anything like this happen.

what do you think? perhaps the receiver is just using up its last remaning fumes?

could the directv sat of gone done over the weekend? i would think other people would have said so.

im stumped.

guys, thanks again for the help. so get this, i unplugged it for a few hours, turned it back on, and same thing no signal.

no signal all last night, no signal all today, then i try it right before bed for the hell of it and it works.

what in the world is that all about? now its working and back to normal.

i have had directv for 10 years, i have had lnb's go bad, receivers, etc. i never in my life had anything like this happen.

what do you think? perhaps the receiver is just using up its last remaning fumes?

could the directv sat of gone done over the weekend? i would think other people would have said so.

im stumped.
Did you have a weather change there on "earth"?? Maybe it was raining or humid enough to cause a temporary bad connection?:cool:

thats the funny thing. first when it happened it was cloudy, but nothing crazy. even during wicked storms it will go out for just like 15-20 mins. never for 2 days.

then when it started working it was during a heavy snow storm.

its been snowing since it started working again and we got like 10 inches and not once did it even flicker.

I've seen it before where inclimate weather "helped" bring the signal back with corroded connections. If you can follow your lines, look for breaks on the outside. Those corroded connectors seem to be the source of most intermittent problems...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)