DirecTV DVR vs Tivo. Differences?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For hacking, nearly any Series 2 (i.e. with USB ports) DirecTivo will do except for the R10, which is pretty much the only DVR being provided by DirecTV and their installers right now. You may find some sat distributors/installers with non R10 boxes, and Ebay has a number of units.
Thank you so much for the excellent info. I have learned alot from you.
A quick follow-up question if you don't mind.....I knlw that my RCA DirecTivo unit is Series 2.....How do I tell if it is R10 or R15? (it is a little less than a year old).
Also, there are 2 USB ports on the back.....So they are enabled by the hack I assume?

I knlw that my RCA DirecTivo unit is Series 2.....How do I tell if it is R10 or R15? (it is a little less than a year old).
For certain, not an R15 as they are not available yet.

Go into the SETUP menu, then SYSTEM INFO screen and report your IRD MODEL - I've never seen an R10 before, but based on a tidbit that I read it will say IRD model R52180 if it is an R10.

Also, there are 2 USB ports on the back.....So they are enabled by the hack I assume?
Yes, and you will need to get a USB-to-Ethernet adapter. There are USB 1.1 and there are USB 2.0 devices; if you plan on any moving of programs between DTivos then I would get a USB 2.0 adapter as they support faster throughput than a USB 1.1 adapter, otherwise a USB 1.1 adapter will do just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts