DirecTV Errors -----DVRs Records repeat episodes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I am a new customer from Dish Network, and think that DirecTV is a large improvement, especially in terms of Picture Quality.

But, there is one big weakness of DTV, and that is their DVR Software. It is a design error, and DTV has known about it for years, but hasn't fixed it, even though Dish Network long ago solved the problem.

If I try to record the O'Reilly Factor on weeknights at 8 PM, the DirecTV DVR will not just record the 8PM showing, as I want. It will also record the repeat showings of the O'Reilly at 11pm, 2am, and 5am! Thus, the same one-hour episode appears four times on my dvr, and I am constantly having to delete the duplicates. This happens with of many shows on cable that repeat their shows later in the evening.

DirecTV actually blames this glitch on Tribune Media Services, because they are not marking the late night shows as "repeats" so the DTV records them just to be safe.

Dish Network DVRs are programmed to record just one episode a night, not four like DirecTV. The result is that Dish Network DVRs work well, and DirecTV DVRs are a real pain.

This happens on other shows too . like Comedy Central Daily Show , which repeats several times a day. How come DTV can't figure this out yet?

Last edited:
I'm assuming this isn't happening to everybody? This would be a deal breaker about me switching if this was a major problem. My wife would kill me if we switched and she had this problem with Direct! :yikes

"But, there is one big weakness of DTV, and that is their DVR Software. It is a design error, and DTV has known about it for years, but hasn't fixed it, even though Dish Network long ago solved the problem." WTH?

I have my record settings to "FIRST RUN" only and do not have this issue. IF Tribune (who creates the EPGs) doesn't list a show as a repeat then how does anyone expect the DVR to know?

Last edited:
I haven't had this problem either and I record a lot of shows that are shown repeatedly through the night (Top Chef, Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star, and others that aren't cooking). Sure you don't have it set to both? Mine is set to first run only. It will record the first one regardless when you set up a recording, but after that it is fine. I just go in and cancel that particular episode if I know it's a rerun.

S~

I've had a whole slurry of repeats recorded in the last couple of weeks. One long running bug is that when you create a new series link with 'first run only', the box will always record the next episode even if its a repeat. Usually pretty good after that.

But there has been some issue lately. I wonder if they reset something in the guide or did something that retriggered that little bug I mentioned above.

"But, there is one big weakness of DTV, and that is their DVR Software. It is a design error, and DTV has known about it for years, but hasn't fixed it, even though Dish Network long ago solved the problem." WTH?

I have my record settings to "FIRST RUN" only and do not have this issue. IF Tribune (who creates the EPGs) doesn't list a show as a repeat then how does anyone expect the DVR to know?

I have the HR24 DVR, and other people have told me that this problem is common. The problem is only with shows that are repeated later in the day , like on Fox News or MSNBC , or Comedy Central.

When you set up the Dish series recording, it specifies only one episode a day, DirecTV will tape unlimited repeats a day unless Tribune Media Services tells them not to. It is really a hassle to be constantly cancelling and deleting all of the recordings.

There's a work-around that you can do to record the time slot manually, but that is more time-consuming and also it won't delete the old episodes automatically.

Does anyone else have the HR24 and seeing these repeated episodes?

Still not seeing the issue on my gear. I record many Comedy Central shows with multiple eps each day and DO NOT get duplicates. Just sayin' it works correctly for me.

In my experience, if you delete a timer and re-add, or its the first time you setup a First Run timer, it will get one or two previous episodes before it gets it right.

For example, I deleted my sat timers from the liv room dvr, and put them on the bedroom dvr. When I checked yesterday, I had like 4 deadliest catches, and 3 ice road truckers recorded at weird hours. Once you delete them, and anymore previous runs up to the next NEW showing, itll stop. It's a bug, that Ive seen them do time and time again, but it doesnt continue. Once you get to the first actual new episode, itll stop. Just go thru the To Do list and delete the showings that are planned to record, that are not new.

I have the HR24 DVR, and other people have told me that this problem is common. The problem is only with shows that are repeated later in the day , like on Fox News or MSNBC , or Comedy Central.

When you set up the Dish series recording, it specifies only one episode a day, DirecTV will tape unlimited repeats a day unless Tribune Media Services tells them not to. It is really a hassle to be constantly cancelling and deleting all of the recordings.

There's a work-around that you can do to record the time slot manually, but that is more time-consuming and also it won't delete the old episodes automatically.

Does anyone else have the HR24 and seeing these repeated episodes?

If you are having an issue with something like Glenn Beck recording multiple times, just do a MANUAL timer.

I havent had that issue and alot of my shows are rerun through the day like the OP mentioned

works fine on the R22

As long as Ive owned HR's, Ive seen the new timer bug, as described above, where it'll randomly record a cable show previous episode, until the first new one comes along. Also did it on Haven too.

As long as Ive owned HR's, Ive seen the new timer bug, as described above, where it'll randomly record a cable show previous episode, until the first new one comes along. Also did it on Haven too.

I've had this happen on a few shows on the HR-21 and HR-24 as well. I find it pretty annoying. I've just put those shows that repeat a lot pretty low on the priority list. That way if they do repeat it'll record something else, otherwise it'll just pick it up next time. I'm pretty sure it's only recorded the same new episode multiple times as described above, and has not picked up repeats of older episodes. I've noticed this on some shows on Current Tv as well as some shows in E! I believe.

Hi,

I have an HR24 and don't have that problem. For instance, Leno is recorded at 11:35 and not later when it is on a second time. Go to Menu>Manage Recordingd>record Defaults and make sure Episode Type is set to First Run. This default is used when you use the Record button. If you set a recording using the longer route, you will be given the option to set how want the recording done. You seem to know what you are doing, so it is all very strange.

Roger

It all depends on which shows you watch and whether the Tribune Media Service marks it as a repeat or doesn't mark it at all. On FNC, almost none of the repeats are marked as repeats . . they are marked as new shows. So they are taped.

Dish lets the customer control the taping, and limits it to one a day.
DTV is leaving the control in the hands of Tribune Media Service, which makes frequent errors in marking what shows are repeats and what shows are first-run.

Some people will be affected depending on which shows you watch and how TMS is labeling things that day.

Yep, its show specific and not tuned to a particular channel or episode.

One that I had a bunch of trouble with was the 'expedition great white' on (I think) the national geographic channel. It recorded the series just fine, but when it ended it started recording the repeats even though I had it set to 'first run only' and the episodes were clearly marked as having been originally aired several months prior.

I set up a manual timer for Glenn Beck. It seems to take care of the problem. Most of the Fox News shows seem to have this problem.

Another one that had this problem was the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. When it was on I had it set to record new episodes only on both Dish and Direct. The episode "The Library" was always marked as new and would record regardless of settings. It happened on both Dish & Direct. It was the only one that would do that. It still does it to this day, I mark it every once in a while just for fun to see.

I am a new customer from Dish Network, and think that DirecTV is a large improvement, especially in terms of Picture Quality.

But, there is one big weakness of DTV, and that is their DVR Software. It is a design error, and DTV has known about it for years, but hasn't fixed it, even though Dish Network long ago solved the problem.

If I try to record the O'Reilly Factor on weeknights at 8 PM, the DirecTV DVR will not just record the 8PM showing, as I want. It will also record the repeat showings of the O'Reilly at 11pm, 2am, and 5am! Thus, the same one-hour episode appears four times on my dvr, and I am constantly having to delete the duplicates. This happens with of many shows on cable that repeat their shows later in the evening.

DirecTV actually blames this glitch on Tribune Media Services, because they are not marking the late night shows as "repeats" so the DTV records them just to be safe.

Dish Network DVRs are programmed to record just one episode a night, not four like DirecTV. The result is that Dish Network DVRs work well, and DirecTV DVRs are a real pain.

This happens on other shows too . like Comedy Central Daily Show , which repeats several times a day. How come DTV can't figure this out yet?

If you go to MENU then MANAGE RECORDINGS then MANUAL you can set up a recurring manual recording for every night at 8:00 for that channel just like you did on your old VCR. You can record every day or once a week or whatever. I do that for all shows that have multiple viewings so that I only get one recording of each.

I set up a manual timer for Glenn Beck. It seems to take care of the problem. Most of the Fox News shows seem to have this problem.

Another one that had this problem was the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. When it was on I had it set to record new episodes only on both Dish and Direct. The episode "The Library" was always marked as new and would record regardless of settings. It happened on both Dish & Direct. It was the only one that would do that. It still does it to this day, I mark it every once in a while just for fun to see.
Manual timer? What is that and how do you set it up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts