DirecTV freezes hiring, postpones capital projects

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah, its a tight ship that allows someone to set 3 accounts up under my Soc Sec# without checking, and then defrauding them. Let also not forget that the goofs still have not sent a return box for the Vip 722 sitting in my attic (has been several months). Didn't they recently have a DVR shortage? Morons. I'll never use Dish again, Id go to Cox first. My father in law swapped for the cheapo TurboHD deal a month or so ago (had D* for 10 years) and he hates it. I told him not too, pay for what you get. Everything Dish network does is ghetto.

This should not surprise anyone, when Malone took over D* became a penny pincher. The recession is a better excuse to suspend everything and make people pay more.

All the while most cable and fios operations are adding more channels. Can't wait for 2010; D* will be last place.

Yeah, its a tight ship that allows someone to set 3 accounts up under my Soc Sec# without checking, and then defrauding them. Let also not forget that the goofs still have not sent a return box for the Vip 722 sitting in my attic (has been several months). Didn't they recently have a DVR shortage? Morons. I'll never use Dish again, Id go to Cox first. My father in law swapped for the cheapo TurboHD deal a month or so ago (had D* for 10 years) and he hates it. I told him not too, pay for what you get. Everything Dish network does is ghetto.

How the heck did that happen with your SSN?

The system should be fixed now to only allow 1 SSN use per customer.

The saddest part is that the recession has not effected D* according to their own words.

A smart company would take this time to get a heads up on opposition, if not by big projects then by other methods. IE, slashing prices, giving better bargains to new customers, etc.

Instead D* decides to raise everything.

Problem is, they aren't the hd leader. No one will have an incentive to go to or stay with a dead in the water, price raising, non hd adding company come feb 2009.

D* apologists like Charper can come and rag on me as much as they want, but Feb 2009 will be when D* starts to feel their decline.

Hate to jump into a catfight - but I actually agree with a little bit of what was in each post.

- Yea, the economy sucks - no Einstein needed there.
- Yea, D needs to watch it's $.
- Yea, E has it's features (But I subscribe to D because I prefer it - but I'm not married to D forever).
- The market will eventually sort out whether D, E, or even TWC will emerge the strongest.
- We all (as consumers) pick the "survivor" with our subscriptions.

Which company will be the smartest (or will they eventually all be one)??????

Hollywood may not be recession-proof this time - Los Angeles Times

Bloomberg.com: U.S.

The couch potatoes replying need to read those news articles closely.

Esp. these tidbits:

"The recent Forrester Research survey found that adults ages 25 to 34 were the most willing to sacrifice a night at the multiplex or premium cable, if money gets tight. What were they least willing to surrender? High-speed Internet access."

"Comcast Chief Financial Officer Michael Angelakis told an investors' conference last month that he was ``very concerned'' about the ripple effect the credit crunch may have on consumers. "

You guys may worship tv, you may not care to do anything else but watch tv. But most people would be okay with sacrifising tv, and NOT ADDING HD while upping the price would certainly do that in a recession.

And btw, please do not say only cable tv is affected and not satellite. Satellite is supposedly a 'premium' service, which is exactly what people are getting rid of!

Then again I'm surprised that certain D* lovers admitted we are in a recession. Last time some of you told me we weren't. I guess you figured out when D* told ya?

If you still, truly, think after all this that D* won't be affected by this decision, and no one is in a recession and can pay for what they currently do (some of you did say this last time), put down the remote, turn off the reality shows, find the door outside, and go ask people what they think. You'll be quite surprised.

As with everything else going else on with the current economy going on. 2009 will be an intresting year

The saddest part is that the recession has not effected D* according to their own words.

A smart company would take this time to get a heads up on opposition, if not by big projects then by other methods. IE, slashing prices, giving better bargains to new customers, etc.

Instead D* decides to raise everything.

Problem is, they aren't the hd leader. No one will have an incentive to go to or stay with a dead in the water, price raising, non hd adding company come feb 2009.

D* apologists like Charper can come and rag on me as much as they want, but Feb 2009 will be when D* starts to feel their decline.

I know that most every February there is a rate hike but where did they say anything about one yet? I hope there is not one but I am planning for the worse.

I don't recall D* talking about going with a all HD package ... Just because DISH decided to doesn't mean D* has to.
Do you have any press releases stating that they were doing that anytime soon ?

Jimbo

The promises I was referring to were in regards to getting all of the HBO and Cinemax HD channels.

As people lose jobs they'll cut back with unnecessary expenses such as TV. DirecTV is taking precautions... this is smart business. Better to be proactive.

They may make more money on normal uses, until they themselves cut premiums and they lose normal users and new subs.

This decision doesn't make them safe. This decision makes them non-competitive, and no one will look their way.

In a recession, people will be looking at ways to cut spending. They will cut spending on things they don't need. A good way to destroy your company is to make people pay MORE at a time when they hafta pay less, and not add anything to your product, making it's worth in people's eyes diminished.

When people go to cut stuff, they will look at Directv as much less worth than before.

They may make more money on normal uses, until they themselves cut premiums and they lose normal users and new subs.

This decision doesn't make them safe. This decision makes them non-competitive, and no one will look their way.

In a recession, people will be looking at ways to cut spending. They will cut spending on things they don't need. A good way to destroy your company is to make people pay MORE at a time when they hafta pay less, and not add anything to your product, making it's worth in people's eyes diminished.

When people go to cut stuff, they will look at Directv as much less worth than before.

I guess as people look to cut stuff, I guess it comes down to whats in your area and available and of course price/services.

Here in my area of Michigan, I have comcast, dish and Directv. As far as comcast goes they have less HD programming then Directv, and when I breifly had them I was not happy with services. In regards to Dish, maybe next year is the year I take a look at them, I have had Directv for seven years so I am not a provider jumper esecially when you have to change dish equipment and such. I have been happy with directv but I guess you have to keep your options open, do I change eqiupment and such for a savings of 5.00 or so. I am going to see what options are in 09, especially since I wont be getting into Sunday ticket next year

One major reason I would be hesitent to move to dish are the two concerns I read on this site: Removal of channels, when negoitating with providers and CSR customer service. I am not saying this as a Fan of Directv just what I read.

It would be nice to read what current customers of Dish think of the long term future is of Dish, as I look at programing as a long term investment especailly when dealing with equipment and such.

I too will wait and see what kind of price increase comes. I have had DirecTV for many years (not big on change) but, Uverse is now available in my area and the U200 package is only $59/mo with DVR service.

Right now my Total Choice Plus is $55 + $6 for DVR totaling $61/month for darn near the same product. Uverse even has more HD channels then DirecTV does right now for $2 less every month.

Like I said, I don't like change but, if someone else can provide a solid product at a lower price comparible to what I have now, I may rethink my provider. This could be bad for DirecTV if they jack rates up to much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.