DirecTV freezes hiring, postpones capital projects

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And btw, please do not say only cable tv is affected and not satellite. Satellite is supposedly a 'premium' service, which is exactly what people are getting rid of!
Actually your wrong, for many folks the only way of watching television is via satellite, for these folks there is no cable and little to no OTA reception.

So I guess it might be a premium, but for many its the only services they have access to.

Yeah like the cable companies advertising that they have THOUSANDS of HD choices...

BTW do you work for Charter Cable? Just wondering.

Charter... It's my internet service but I've seen the type of contractors they pluck from off the street...

So hell no.

And btw, if your assuming my current location of work via argument against satellite and IP of Cable internet, here's a tip: I also occaisionally connect here via At&t (Iphone). So perhaps It's all a conspiracy against the satellite cos? :p

Last edited:
And yes, cable companies falsely advertise too, but that's like allowing a murderer out of jail because alot of others murder...

What makes it worse of all of that Directv SUED COMCAST FOR FALSE ADVERTISING. So it's a bit more rediculous when D* plays Cop but can't ploice itself, no?

Actually your wrong, for many folks the only way of watching television is via satellite, for these folks there is no cable and little to no OTA reception.

So I guess it might be a premium, but for many its the only services they have access to.

No, it's affected the same damn way.

The thing is, satellite, cable, any sort of tv in general, is only truly sought after by movie buffs, sports lovers, and couch potatoes. Most people find tv the first thing that's expendable. And all types of tv will feel the pinch.

Boosting prices will only hurt.

And don't give me the 1930's great depression theater sales; People today like to experience things for themselves, not just see it. Video games are the only sector that is expierencing the growth that hollywood had during the great depression, and I hope hollywood realizes it soon.

No, it's affected the same damn way.

The thing is, satellite, cable, any sort of tv in general, is only truly sought after by movie buffs, sports lovers, and couch potatoes. Most people find tv the first thing that's expendable. And all types of tv will feel the pinch.
I live in the Southwest, to call Farmers, Ranchers, Miners & Gas/Oil Field workers and anyone else living in the country couch potatoes is just wrong... where there is no decent OTA reception, Satellite is alot of folk's only option for decent TV...

Where did I say those people were couch potatoes? I said truly sought after. Something you wouldn't get rid of no matter what.

The fact is, most people can very well do without tv, esp. if bills made it happen. The only ones who truly would go after tv by any means would be the ones I mentioned.

And get back to me on the Farmers, ranchers, etc, prices spent on oil and gas the past year, and show me how many can currently afford satellite anyway.

I dunno how much more I can say. If you guys wanna believe that nobody will dump cable/fios/satellite tv FIRST if the bills need it, and all three are suceptable to being dropped in a recession, I guess you're in for the same shell shock Malone is in for.

I dunno how much more I can say. If you guys wanna believe that nobody will dump cable/fios/satellite tv FIRST if the bills need it, and all three are suceptable to being dropped in a recession, I guess you're in for the same shell shock Malone is in for.

Some people will and some wont. It all depends on what you choose for you entertainment during these times.

By the way why did you not answer my question about the pricing increase?

Oh, was answering other stuff, ignored it.

Hang on a sec...

From the article:

"The nation's largest satellite TV provider also has beefed up some promotions and plans to raise rates for next year."

I'm not sure what 'beefed up' means...

DirecTV Sues Comcast Over HDTV Ad Campaign - 5/18/2007 3:04:00 PM - Multichannel News

Off topic, but when will Directv remove the false advertising on their site?

The 'clear hd leader' should become 'The clear hd PPV leader'.

Obviously when d12 launches and directv has over 100 HD PPV channels, they'll definately need to.

"Leader" does not necessarily mean the most channels, although that's what most people would assume.

It could mean more of the most popular channels.

It could mean the channels with more HD content.

It could mean that DirecTV's HD picture quality is better.

It could mean that they have more HD customers than anyone else.

It could even mean they "lead" all providers in profits from HD.

In other words, there are enough things it "could" mean that there is no way anyone could successfully charge "false advertising."

A word like "leader" is a godsend to an advertising copywriter.

Don't give me the runaround. Directv has in the past been QUITE CLEAR that that are reffering to number of channels.

Well, unless some are in a major cloud, haven't many companies announced job CUTS? I see that D* only said a hiring freeze - to me that speaks of a healthy company taking some precautionary steps so that they are primed for the economic recovery.

With all of the major issues now facing the world at large, I have to admit I chuckle inside with all of the whining about getting another television channel in HD. Where does this fit into the real problems America and the world face?

Be thankful at this special time of year for your health, that hopefully you are working, that you can pay your bills, and that we will recover economically soon so that we all will be better off. I would prefer all of that to another premium movie channel to be honest.

my .02

If any of you actually read the report, Directv has NOT been affected by the recession, and expects their equipment will cost less next year.

Raising prices, adding nothing, is all a money grab at this point.

Raising prices, adding nothing, is all a money grab at this point.

Not true. I personally do not like the price increases but it is not just a money grab at this point. I guess that we should not expect any Directv employee to receive raises to keep our cost the same? Year after year cost of doing business increases without adding anything. Have you had increases in your fuel bills over the past couple of years? I sure bet you did. Guess what. Directv did also. I guess we could all be OK with paying the same with them offering us less. That is what many of the food companies are doing right now. You buy most items today at the same costs as a year ago but the items size or quantity has decreased. Not fair for us but it is also not fair for us to expect the same pricing year after year.

All of these companies raised prices due to things costing them more.

Before you go apologizing for D*, learn that fact. Also read what they themselves said.

Or use common sense and realize that food products raised in price due to gas used to get them to the stores.

Either way though, D* expects their equipment charges to go down.

So again, bad example.

Before you go apologizing for D*, learn that fact. Also read what they themselves said.

Or use common sense and realize that food products raised in price due to gas used to get them to the stores.

Either way though, D* expects their equipment charges to go down.

So again, bad example.

Not apologizing for Directv, just understand the real world which you seem to be clueless about. Just because equipment charges go down does not mean others don't increase.

Isn't this basically what I said but the fact you say I am a Directv apologist? if things cost more they need to raise their prices to help keep their shareholders happy. Bottom line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.