DirecTV goes back to the 2 year price guarantee

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003

Just went to the website, confirmed to be true, 2nd year is the same low price as the first.

Always thought that was a bad business decision in getting rid of that, especially since all competitors were doing a first 2 year price lock ( Dish is now a 3 year lock).

That second year was causing major shock for maybe new subscribers.

The fees are still a issue, but this is still a good step in the right direction.

Just went to the website, confirmed to be true, 2nd year is the same low price as the first.

Always thought that was a bad business decision in getting rid of that, especially since all competitors were doing a first 2 year price lock ( Dish is now a 3 year lock).

The fees are still a issue, but this is still a good step in the right direction.
Still NOTHING for the Existing Sub ....

They should Drop thier rates by at least $10 per month for all Subs as a START.
Make that $20, seeing my bill goes up by $10 THIS year.

They have always required a 2 year Commitment for new subs, the price Lock is nice, but about 15 years too late.
The whole idea of charging 2x as much for the 2nd year was a BAD idea to start with ...but they didn't care.

Still NOTHING for the Existing Sub ....

They should Drop thier rates by at least $10 per month for all Subs as a START.
Make that $20, seeing my bill goes up by $10 THIS year.
You know what to do, either call them up and threaten to leave or do leave and go to something I should not talk about here so I do not get reported again.
They have always required a 2 year Commitment for new subs, the price Lock is nice, but about 15 years too late.
The whole idea of charging 2x as much for the 2nd year was a BAD idea to start with ...but they didn't care.
When did they drop the 2 year same price?

Considering the drop in subs started about 8 years ago, I wonder if the timeframe matches up.

Strange that they started this right when Sunday Ticket left, makes you wonder if NFLST had a bigger influence on subscriber count then reported by the bloggers.

You know what to do, either call them up and threaten to leave or do leave and go to something I should not talk about here so I do not get reported again.

When did they drop the 2 year same price?

Considering the drop in subs started about 8 years ago, I wonder if the timeframe matches up.

Strange that they started this right when Sunday Ticket left, makes you wonder if NFLST had a bigger influence on subscriber count then reported by the bloggers.
They have ALWAYS required a 2 Year Commitment .... regardless.

Those selling are/were Suppose to remind potential subs that they were signing up for 2 years.
That has been that was since day one ...

I don't know IF that has actually changed as I no longer have my contacts with Installers or internal Supervisors, seeing I've retired.

As for the 2 year Price lock, I have never seen them do that before, I've seen Dish do it, but not D*.

Its a step in a positive direction, but its FAR too late.

Yes, it may be directly tied to losing the ST.

I can't call in and negotiate, none of them can touch my account.

I may call my internal contacts that I do still have to see if they are offering anything else, but I somehow doubt it or they would have sent us the offer ... hopefully.

Still nothing for current subs. No desire for me to stay. I'll go where I'm treated better.
Keep in mind, it always seems better with a new provider, till the normal price hikes come around.

Then you don't feel so good with them anymore and go thru the vicious cycle.
Do not pay attention to John’s post, they are all over the place, for example he said this about his price a week ago-
my directv bill is a flat out 99.99 a month with the select package and 3 rooms.

Then a week before that, a post about canceling and sending his equipment back-

LOL they wanted our C61k back :what2 :eek: and the power cords. the only things they didn't want back was the grubby remotes:D.
Then if you look thru his post history, more like that and some where he just switched to Dish Network.

Do not pay attention to John’s post, they are all over the place, for example he said this about his price a week ago-

Then if you look thru his post history, more like that and some where he just switched to Dish Network.
My 1st D* bill was $40 .

Keep in mind, it always seems better with a new provider, till the normal price hikes come around.

Then you don't feel so good with them anymore and go thru the vicious cycle.
keep in mind these companies make us jump through hoops every so often to get the best deal insanity

we cancelled this morning i paid the 40 smackers to leave em. we kept em for a bit to see what deals they have was never any. and they lost my first years discounts within the first year never again!!! so write that down in your calender that we cancelled!!!

They have ALWAYS required a 2 Year Commitment .... regardless.

Those selling are/were Suppose to remind potential subs that they were signing up for 2 years.
That has been that was since day one ...

I don't know IF that has actually changed as I no longer have my contacts with Installers or internal Supervisors, seeing I've retired.

As for the 2 year Price lock, I have never seen them do that before, I've seen Dish do it, but not D*.

Its a step in a positive direction, but its FAR too late.

Yes, it may be directly tied to losing the ST.

I can't call in and negotiate, none of them can touch my account.

I may call my internal contacts that I do still have to see if they are offering anything else, but I somehow doubt it or they would have sent us the offer ... hopefully.
they told us to call in evey year as they should have some discounts for our acct!!! that gets to be a PIA!!! we threatened to goto dish and gave em there rates. the discounts started popping up all over the place :D :facepalm :coco . i bet there trying to retain as many subs as they can they lost oan newsmax st. wonder how many has canceled over that

they told us to call in evey year as they should have some discounts for our acct!!! that gets to be a PIA!!! we threatened to goto dish and gave em there rates. the discounts started popping up all over the place :D :facepalm :coco . i bet there trying to retain as many subs as they can they lost oan newsmax st. wonder how many has canceled over that
I bet the lost very few over the News Max deal, that wern't already going.

You can always call in after your initial 2 year commitment was up.
Then again, my 2 year commitment was up before the year 2000.

Quite STUPIDLY, they try to put you in another 2 year commitment if you upgrade your equipment.

Reactions: John2021
I bet the lost very few over the News Max deal, that wern't already going.

You can always call in after your initial 2 year commitment was up.
Then again, my 2 year commitment was up before the year 2000.

Quite STUPIDLY, they try to put you in another 2 year commitment if you upgrade your equipment.
i am sure they lost subs over the newsmax deal
i paid to get out of our contract. we don't want another one unless they come out with something amazing wich is very doubtful and we can get the 2 year price lock. but other than that i'm not interested!!!

• Haha
Reactions: AZ.
i am sure they lost subs over the newsmax deal
The math shows it is incredibly doubtful they lost any subs, when your average rating is 113,000, out of millions that get it via some cable and Satellite services ( I have no idea if Dish carries the channel ), plus those that get it via the Roku type devices, Pluto TV and other options.

From all those options to be able to view it, they still are barely above 100,000.

I find the comparisons to Vice kind of funny, as it is a "news channel" only in the sense that it has a small amount of "news" programming per week, but is overwhelmingly just another cable channel with generic pop culture programming and random movies on it similar to E! channel. One might as well call CBS a news channel since it has a nightly news program, and ignore how it carries other stuff filling almost all its schedule.

Xfinity is also offering 2-year pricing on any of their services. HOWEVER, whats NOT INCLUDED is below-the-line fees. For example, the Broadcast fee, RSN Fee, Set-top box fee, all are subject to yearly increases.

I'm lucky that I am in a market where DirecTV does not charge an RSN fee. Plus they do not charge aobscene "Broadcast TV fee".

Xfinity is also offering 2-year pricing on any of their services. HOWEVER, whats NOT INCLUDED is below-the-line fees. For example, the Broadcast fee, RSN Fee, Set-top box fee, all are subject to yearly increases.

I'm lucky that I am in a market where DirecTV does not charge an RSN fee. Plus they do not charge aobscene "Broadcast TV fee".
I believe I pay around $13.50 for the rights to have RSN's that I don't use.

Can't seem to get to the Billing section on the website to check the Broadcast Fees