Directv grounding problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A violent disagreement over a piece of wire? :rolleyes:

Yeah I know, it seems hardly worth the trouble, eh? Next time you're in the mood for a mixup, lets try something more interesting like "God doesnt exist" or "Hitler was sort of funny", eh?

I do agree about the need for a ground wire, how about that? ;) BTW, as long as an additional grounding rod is bonded to the main ground, it is fine, but it must be bonded.

Oh now, cant we even be consistent in our quibbling? If the only purpose the ground serves is to dissipate some static and not high amounts of current, then line bonding is also not really necessary. Little bit of momentary static discharge is surely not going to flow through the earth to your main ground and create a ground loop...at all...let alone anything of consequence.

Yeah I know, it seems hardly worth the trouble, eh? Next time you're in the mood for a mixup, lets try something more interesting like "God doesnt exist" or "Hitler was sort of funny", eh?

Oh now, cant we even be consistent in our quibbling? If the only purpose the ground serves is to dissipate some static and not high amounts of current, then line bonding is also not really necessary. Little bit of momentary static discharge is surely not going to flow through the earth to your main ground and create a ground loop...at all...let alone anything of consequence.

Probably not, but I try to do things to code, which requires bonding a secondary ground rod. BTW, Hitler was hysterical! :rolleyes:

Mel Brooks thought so.

So do these guys:

But again, code says the grounding is for lightning protection, so if you're doing it to code, then we really agreed all along. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, Electrician came out today did his checks (tests ). Found 1.3 volts at the TV wall outlet on the top side. So I hooked up the surge protecter in the bottom, them pluged in Directv rescever and Tv into surge protecter. Directv ground wire is hooked back up outside. So far no problems, Will see.

Ok guys, Electrician came out today did his checks (tests ). Found 1.3 volts at the TV wall outlet on the top side. So I hooked up the surge protecter in the bottom, them pluged in Directv rescever and Tv into surge protecter. Directv ground wire is hooked back up outside. So far no problems, Will see.

I don't get it. He found 1.3 volts leaking to ground? Did he replace the outlet or figure out why?

The 1.3 was inside at the wall outlet where the TV pluged into. And only on the top plug in. The bottom was ok. He wanted $548.00 to troubleshoot and fix THAT line. I said NO WAY!

So I pluged the surge protecter into the bottom wall outlet then pluged the TV and recevier into the surge protecter. Dish is grounded to the house grouning rod again. No problem with the TV so far.

Will try to trace down that line latter. Could be a bad outlet plug.

usually the top & bottom plugs within the same outlet are the same...

though if it is in a living room ... you might have a switch controlled outlet for a lamp ... & the common key might have be removed & the switch have 2 circuits going to it ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts