Directv H25 Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I just had Directv installed and have the H25 receiver in my living room. The primary TV is hooked up through the HDMI cable. I live alone so I don't need the ability to watch different channels at the same time. I hooked up a modulator through the RCA plugs(red, white & yellow) and have RG6 cable going to the kitchen and bedroom TV's. I realize this is not going to be HD or Digital to these 2 TV's. I talked to someone at Directv about this and they warned me about overloading the receiver with this setup...that the receiver is not designed to be using multiple outputs simultaneously.

I'm not sure this is correct...the HDMI is digital output from one chip and the modulator is analog output from another chip. The modulator is turned off when not in use-is there a load on the analog chip just by being connected to the modulator even though it turned off? Thoughts/corrections welcome.

the only issue you're going to have is that the resolution will keep switching between 480 and 1080 on the h25, but otherwise its fine.

the only issue you're going to have is that the resolution will keep switching between 480 and 1080 on the h25, but otherwise its fine.
Is it going to be switching even though the modulator is turned off? Is this switching so rapid that it is not discernible to the human eye?

You won't be able to use the guide, playlist, etc without changing the resolution to 480i.

I have a similiar setup at my parents, an H24 with component output to a Monoprice component to RCA adapter, this setup eliminates the need to change resolution, and is reliable.

You can do it without, but will have to hold a button on the remote and wait for a resolution change everytime you go to the SD TV and want to access the user interface (guide/DVR/etc).

Would end up adding about $50 to your setup:

Amazon product ASIN B009GUSJ6WAmazon product ASIN B006R9O2PC
No need to worry about overloading the receiver, all outputs are continually active at the same time.

You won't be able to use the guide, playlist, etc without changing the resolution to 480i.

I have a similiar setup at my parents, an H24 with component output to a Monoprice component to RCA adapter, this setup eliminates the need to change resolution, and is reliable.

You can do it without, but will have to hold a button on the remote and wait for a resolution change everytime you go to the SD TV and want to access the user interface (guide/DVR/etc).

Would end up adding about $50 to your setup:

Amazon product ASIN B009GUSJ6WAmazon product ASIN B006R9O2PC
No need to worry about overloading the receiver, all outputs are continually active at the same time.

What is interesting is that it doesn't seem to care about simultaneously displaying the programming in digital and analog until you pull up the user interface...primarily the guide for me. It appears as though the component video cable is proprietary to Directv. Thanks for the info.

It won't generate a problem until you need to create a user interface, the guide is the most frequent of these. the issue is that the box can't create an HD UI and an SD UI at the same time.
There is a "dongle" available for the H25 that allows you to connect regular component (red/green/blue) cables - http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=h2510pin

It won't generate a problem until you need to create a user interface, the guide is the most frequent of these. the issue is that the box can't create an HD UI and an SD UI at the same time.
There is a "dongle" available for the H25 that allows you to connect regular component (red/green/blue) cables - http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=h2510pin

The problem with that cable is the video is red/green/blue rather than yellow.

Yes, I missed his post which as you say recommends the same solution - sorry about that!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts