DirecTv HD DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ltrinidad

Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I've only been a part of this site for about a month or two, and I have searched the forums for an answer, but no luck. My question in is:
Why does DirecTv not lease an HD-DVR instead of selling it for $200? Dish, Time Warner, Comcast all do it and seem to have success with the program. I understand the HD-DVR is with Tivo, but I think DirecTv and Tivo could stand to make more money with the HD-DVR if they leased it instead. When peolpe are on a budget, $200 really is an amount that is kind of hard to pay upfront. I also know some people who although realize DirecTv has the most HD channels, will not switch becasue of the $200 DVR. If I know a couple of people like this, I'm sure there are thousands out there who feel the same way about switching.

Anyways, please enlighten me on the subject please.

Boy you are new. The HD-DVR's are leased, you pay the $299.00 down payment and lease it from there. Also they are NOT TIVO's, the HR-20/21's, & R15's are D* own version of DVR's.

If you don't want to pay the $200-300 for the LEASED NON-Tivo HD-DVR, keep calling back to see if you can get a deal. There are all kinds of threads on the subject. I got one for free about 3 months ago.

Dish no longer offers receivers for purchase or Tivo receivers if you didn't already get that message. :)

It's only leased if you get the box from D*, right? If I can buy it from Costco isn't it mine outright?

Also, with a HR20, can I record 2 HD shows at the same time? Or can I only do 1 HD and 1 SD simutaneously? I saw something about it having 1 HD tuner and 1 SD tuner and got a bit confused.

how would you go about getting a free one? is there something you would say to directv, or is it just a matter of continuously asking and waiting?

how would you go about getting a free one? is there something you would say to directv, or is it just a matter of continuously asking and waiting?
There are lots of varying experiences discussed at length in many threads. I just called and asked about upgrading. It took 3 calls for me to get an answer of "free". The first 2 offered $199, and I politely told them I'd think about it. Others "threaten" to leave, etc.

I'm not sure how successful people have been with free upgrades since the new channels were launched though.

What about new customers--I need to try to get the standard DVR (R15) free, as I already pay $200 for the HR 20--how could I get such a deal?

So far, it's not letting me do that!

Any other ideas?

Going to the website is not the way to get a deal. As others have said, you have to pick up the phone.

The standard deal is one $100 rebate, which either makes the HDDVR $199 or gives you a SD DVR or HD receiver (non DVR) free. That's all the website will give you.

If you want better, you will have to call - maybe several times. Mention Dish's free HD-DVR and/or any other offers that are out there - that may help. If they don't think they are competing for you, you'll get nothing.

can you have a regular dvr connected to your tv if you already have an hd reciever hooked up with directv?

how would you go about connecting the D* HD Reciever with the D* DVR? If I do this, I wan to make sure it is connected correctly.

how would you go about connecting the D* HD Reciever with the D* DVR? If I do this, I wan to make sure it is connected correctly.

You don't connect them together. You connect each to both the dish and television set. There is a way to have the remote control each separately using the AV1 switch position.

can you have a regular dvr connected to your tv if you already have an hd reciever hooked up with directv?

Why would you want to? Why not just get an HD-DVR?

Hey, look at that - my 1000th post and becoming a Pub Member all in one day - I'm all aflutter...

You don't connect them together. You connect each to both the dish and television set. There is a way to have the remote control each separately using the AV1 switch position.

but would I get a good picture on the recorded shows having the HD receiver on a different input?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)