DirecTV HD DVR Upgrade.. Free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dextar

Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Green Bay, WI
Hello all, first post here..

I read some posts from a while ago saying people were able to get HD DVR boxes for free/upgrades for 19.95 (the price of shipping them). I've only been a DirecTV subscriber for about 6 months now and I've loved everything except the lack of the DVR (and not having HD in my bedroom), now they are offering a free HD DVR upgrade which makes me extremely sad.

Well Uverse was offered in our area and seeing as how you could get a DVR + HD box for my bedroom, I signed up for it.. 30 day money back if I didn't like it! Nothing to pay upfront either! Awesome. Total Home DVR rules, the PQ on Uverse is waaaaaaay too saturated, it's good but not great like DirecTV's is.

Now with that being said I called DTV and did the cancel thing and talked to a rep, first one wouldn't budge, called back about 20 minutes later, the next one told me she could waive the install fee and drop 50 dollars off the price of the DVR. I asked if she could just ship the box to me and take the 100 off the price of the box to make it down to 49.99 and she told me they can't do that, they have to be installed by an installer.

Any tips or anyone know someone who I can call and talk to? I would like to get an HD DVR, the HD box I have in the living room is huge but I can find a way to put that in my bedroom. I don't want to cancel DTV but having a DVR is really important to me.

When you call, immediately ask for retention. But.... being a DVR usually reqires two coax lines (unless you have a SWM) they will want an installer there to run the second line.

I just upgrade to HD DVR. It took hour and half on the phone to get to a manger about the upgrade.We had a good fight about the upgrade ($99 free shipping) that was on my account web page. Of course for new customers. I told her that I couldn't find that and that it was fasle advertisng. I did get the DVR for $99 and free shipping PLUS the tax.She said they had to install it and told her the house was wired for the DVR----no go-installer had to do it.When the installer came I'm glade he did install the DVR. It had to be locked on 5 of the 6 satellites in the set up, I had 3 green checks and 3 red X's. It took about two hours and a new LNB. I love the DVR because the wife is happy!!!

New customers are getting the hd dvr upgrade free right now.
And $99 for additional DVR. Where Direct used to not be able to compete with Dish in terms of equipment costs, the line has begun to blur.

I don't really mind if they have an installer, I just don't enjoy having to pay for boxes people are getting free.. especially with the chance that a new HD DVR box coming out later this year (as some people have said). My father has dish and he didn't have to pay for a DVR, Uverse didn't charge me, wth! I was even thinking about upgrading my package if they offered me a HD-DVR but no luck they aren't willing to budge.

FYI, current Dish customers do not get free upgrades. They are in line with Direct. When you first signed up, you got your free equipment. The End.

FYI, current Dish customers do not get free upgrades. They are in line with Direct. When you first signed up, you got your free equipment. The End.

Right, but when my father signed up for Dish, literally a week after I had my DirecTV installed he got the HD DVR for free. This was not a deal offered by DirecTV, so they weren't in line.

Sorry KAB but I got E* to give me for free a 722HDDVR! That is until they wanted a credit card number from a loyal 4 year subscriber! Now I'm switching to D*. I've been stepped on by E* to many times. At least D* hasn't... yet. :D

Jeff

Sorry KAB but I got E* to give me for free a 722HDDVR! That is until they wanted a credit card number from a loyal 4 year subscriber! Now I'm switching to D*. I've been stepped on by E* to many times. At least D* hasn't... yet. :D

Jeff
They always ask for credit card for the receiver upgrades. What was such a big deal for you? If you were to order a second one from Direct, they want a credit card. Good thing you did not get two. You'd be homeless by now.

Called them again, they only offered the 49.99 off the price of the receiver to bring it to 149.99, told them that's not good enough and I'm going to continue with the cancellation.

Sucks but it's pathetic that other companies will offer their equipment without a charge but DirecTV has to charge for leasing.

* After dealing with my daughter who's not feeling well I called them back, 149.99 and then 6 months of HD for free (60 dollars), the girl I talked to was wrong it's 60 off the price of the HD DVR and the 6 months, so I took that... thank god I really didn't want to drop them.

Last edited:
KAB, because our credit card numbers were stolen and we have no more cards except a debit and I WILL NOT GIVE THAT INFO OUT TO ANYONE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY or the good ol' USA. If I am such a valued customer that pays not only his E* bill on time but everything else I feel I shouldn't have to give any credit card out. All they have to do is run a credit check on me to see where I stand. When I switch to D* I will do my best to do it right the first time.

Jeff

KAB, because our credit card numbers were stolen and we have no more cards except a debit and I WILL NOT GIVE THAT INFO OUT TO ANYONE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY or the good ol' USA. If I am such a valued customer that pays not only his E* bill on time but everything else I feel I shouldn't have to give any credit card out. All they have to do is run a credit check on me to see where I stand. When I switch to D* I will do my best to do it right the first time.

Jeff
so what is the difference in giving out your ssn# over a credit card... catch up

We have 3 HD-DVRs in our house (plus an HD-Tivo that is no longer active and has since been upgraded), and I didn't pay a penny for any of those 4. All of those receivers were upgrades after our initial installation. I never threatened to leave, never called and mentioned cable for Dish Network - just called and nicely asked what they could do for me. If I didn't get the answer I was hoping for, I'd call back a couple days later.

It's been about a year since our last free upgrade, so I can't say how easy or difficult they are to come by these days...

i hate when people think that everything should be handed to them. it's like i'm a customer of yours and you must give it to me free or i will cancel or go elsewhere. or they get mad when they dont get it for free. do you go to wal mart and say i've been shopping here for 5 years so i want this hd television for free or i will go to another store. americans are such pathetic people its always about FREE!!! get a life and realize that everything dont need to be free. tv aint the world there more important things than tv

i hate when people think that everything should be handed to them. it's like i'm a customer of yours and you must give it to me free or i will cancel or go elsewhere. or they get mad when they dont get it for free. do you go to wal mart and say i've been shopping here for 5 years so i want this hd television for free or i will go to another store. americans are such pathetic people its always about FREE!!! get a life and realize that everything dont need to be free. tv aint the world there more important things than tv

It is not that we want everything free, it is just that every corner you turn, d* is offering free to new members. Years ago I had a dvr that I paid for. The dVR could only record about 25 hours of SD, so I looked into it and payed 100.00 dollars for a new DVR with 100 hours of recordings.

I then later found this site {Actually it was DBSTalks.com, just realized this site had a forum} and leaned a lot. the first thing that i learned was that I no longer owned my equipment. I don't think that if i want to purchase more service from a company, i should first have to purchase new equipment from said company. and then I do not even get to choose the equipment that I will recieve. If I was garanteed an HR23, which is the newest equipment, then I would be happier.

I am hoping that my system breaks and then hopfully, they will deal with me on upgrading to a HD system..

So to paraphrase, I dont think it is free when i am paying for the service every month. and why would i have to pay up front for a piece of equipment, when in the end, I have to give the equipment back

Last edited:
so does that mean if i go to a steakhouse and order a steak and use their dishes i shouldnt have to pay for the meal because i'm going to have to let them have the dishes back after i eat? or say i want a discount because the price of the meal does not include for me to keep the dishes???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)