DirecTV HD GUI Poll - Do You Like The New DirecTV HD GUI?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Do You Like The New DirecTV HD GUI?

• Yes & My HDTV is 1080P

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Yes & My HDTV is 720P

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • No & My HDTV is 1080P

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • No & My HDTV is 720P

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My stepdad called me and told me "boy you were right....the new guide hauls major ass" :)
I tried to do a CE on x-mas eve but wasnt in the stream at the time....he got the new guide on the 10th

The thing I do not like about it is when viewing on one of my 2 sd tv's it ask you to change the setting to sd and then I have to change it back for hd viewing . I have 4 tv's hooked up to my HR20-700, two are HD and two are SD.

your performance degradation must be one of the rare few as it has greatly increased for the majority of users.

what were you using to bring up "LIST" before?

actually since the new UI my HR24 has been experiencing lag issues as well, especially when bringing up the list of recordings. it was lightning fast with the old UI. but the software will get better and better. i can ride it out.

actually since the new UI my HR24 has been experiencing lag issues as well, especially when bringing up the list of recordings. it was lightning fast with the old UI. but the software will get better and better. i can ride it out.

Which is exactly what I'm seeing. In the guide, everything is much quicker. Getting to it, changing channels, going to the menus, all slower to happen. And with pauses that weren't there before, some quite long.

Not enough to say I don't like the new HDGUI, but enough to say it isn't all an improvement on the HR24s.

I didn't know anyone still had 1080i CRT's.
Not all non-CRT TVs can take 1080p as an input.
That would also mean you're using analog component.
No, it wouldn't.

While this doesn't make a hill of beans difference for static displays, it makes a huge difference for the "fast scrolling" displays that seem to be the selling point of the HD GUI.

Previously it was "menu" and the list was right there.
Now it's "menu" then down twice then select.

I realize that it is only a couple of extra press of the buttons. But isn't the whole idea of a DVR to be able to easily record and view programs? Why make the view portion secondary?

As for performance. I have HR21 and HR20 receivers. Hit "guide" and it usually takes between 3 and 5 seconds for the guide to come up. There is also delay with other functions. The most annoying is when entering information in the search.

The old gui was much faster for everything except scrolling through the guide.

Seems like on the CE it was faster, then with the national release I started noticing the same "issues".
It is still very fast in the guide itself. Seems to be back where it was for everything else. For me anyway.

Previously it was "menu" and the list was right there.
Now it's "menu" then down twice then select.

I realize that it is only a couple of extra press of the buttons. But isn't the whole idea of a DVR to be able to easily record and view programs? Why make the view portion secondary?

As for performance. I have HR21 and HR20 receivers. Hit "guide" and it usually takes between 3 and 5 seconds for the guide to come up. There is also delay with other functions. The most annoying is when entering information in the search.

The old gui was much faster for everything except scrolling through the guide.

Perhaps the new guide affects the various model older boxes in different ways. With my HR-22, the response-time improvement has been very good with the new guide installed. I have very little wait time with switching channels and the guide comes up instantly each time since I received the guide upgrade download.

Neither of my HD receivers have the new GUI yet, I received an email about 5 days ago stating it would be coming the next day but nothing yet. Do I have do do anything to get the download started?

I'm located in eastern NC if that makes a difference.

i have a H-21-100 & an HR-22-100

Thanks

Ron W.

Last edited:
Neither of my HD receivers have the new GUI yet, I received an email about 5 days ago stating it would be coming the next day but nothing yet. Do I have do do anything to get the download started?

I'm located in eastern NC if that makes a difference.

i have a H-21-100 & an HR-22-100

Thanks

Ron W.

Nope, it will show up on it's own, typically over night, but not always.

Thanks for the reply
I'll get back here when I get it installed and give my review.

Thanks again....

Ron

I guess it would be OK as long as D* upgraded all of my OLD (hr20/21) receivers to equipment that functions properly with the new release. It seems that the response times have become linger and longer. It currently takes 5-7 seconds to bring up the guide.

I got it now. And I don't like the bar at the bottom when I fast forward. The shadow takes up too much space.

I got it now. And I don't like the bar at the bottom when I fast forward. The shadow takes up too much space.

the latest CE software resolved that. looks real clean and sharp now.

I have a 1080i CRT in my spare room and a Hitachi 1080i plasma (HDMI) in my theater that's a few years old. At the time, I figured that since broadcast was 720p or 1080i, I'd save a few hundred bux and go with the 1080i instead of 1080P. I will upgrade when it's feasible, but, until then...

On 3 HD sets in the house, a 57" CRT 720P, a 27" LCD 720P and a 27" LCD 1080P. All is good. I voted "like" thinking of the 57" set but given the opportunity I would have voted the same way for all the sets.

The guide was also fine before.

I just started D* a week ago, hadn't had it for over 4 years and the new GUI is a vast improvement over the last I remember. Still a notch below Dish but very close. Couple of things I'd like to see are more favorite list options and for the "Channels I get" it would make more sense to only list the channels we actually subscribe to than to list anything we could possibly subscribe to. It's really not much different than the All Channels list.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts