DirecTV HD GUI Poll - Do You Like The New DirecTV HD GUI?

Do You Like The New DirecTV HD GUI?

• Yes & My HDTV is 1080P

Votes: 104 67.1%
  • Yes & My HDTV is 720P

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • No & My HDTV is 1080P

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • No & My HDTV is 720P

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
richie1988 said:
i think its the best i really like that i can read it now and it fits directv you would have thought they been did something like this but if you see it directv is one of the only companies that doesnt just launch new features and functions and then have the power in the usa goes out when they do i know it took forever but its worth the wait cause i havent had any issues since got it

You should use punctuation, because it makes it easier for others to understand what you are trying to say.

i think its the best. i really like that i can read it now and it fits directv.you would have thought they been did something like this.but if you see it,directv is one of the only companies that doesnt just launch new features and functions .and then have the power in the usa goes out when they do. i know it took forever but its worth the wait cause i havent had any issues since got it.
Fixed. not sure how better that is :eek: .
I see you're a new member . Welcome to the site richie.

I love the guide but moreso what comes with it ... Pandora! Great sitting by fireplace, sipping wine, and listening through my surround sound system to my channels :)

i don't have the new gui yet (it's scheduled for 1/11). i didn't realize pandora comes with it. that's cool.

Love the new guide. Still no Pandora after three days and using the IAMANEDGECUTTER trick.

I received the new guide a couple of days ago in Dallas (HR22). What a difference in response time. Working great so far.

Well, I had forced the download before Christmas, and was generally pleased with it. Aesthetically, it was more appealing than the previos version but some functions were just as slow ( and sometimes slower). After reading a few posts ( thanks Iceberg) I forced a download last night to go back to the old GUI so I could get the National release later that night Scrolling through the guide or my recorded program list was great. But, getting there was a pain because it was VERY slow. I hope this improves. Aside from that, I like the new color scheme and some of the new functionality. But, I do NOT like the obtrusive "banner" at the bottom of the screen when fast forwarding or rewinding a recorded program or live show. When I first did a forced download, the GUI had this. But, a few weeks later I did another and it actually went away, replaced by the program time stamp that had MUCH smaller borders. The way it is now, when I bring up program info and happen to have the bottom banner in view, it takes up nearly 2/3 of the screen leaving just a small viewing area. I HATE THIS!!!!!! I am glad, though, that I finally get the channel logos next to the channel number when the program info is up. Before, it was just the first few letters of that channel. Anyway, sorry for writing all this but I am really enjoying typing on this iPad!!!!!!!

I guess I am excluded from this poll as my TV is neither 1080p or 720p, it is 1080i.

I sure wish they had put the date on top and the time on the bottom of the time/date display, for I can't read the one on top due to half of it rolling off the top of my set due to overscan. I wouldn't mind if I couldn't see today's date.

I didn't know anyone still had 1080i CRT's.

That would also mean you're using analog component.

My 2005 Panasonic RP-CRT does only 1080i, no support for 720p, it will fail to produce an image when fed a 720p signal. I have to use my DVR to convert all output to 1080i.

However it has both analog component and digital HDMI inputs. I use HDMI for both my HR21 and my Blu-Ray player.

There are definitely several of these still around. They sold over 2 million (maybe 3 million) of them (counting only HDTV models) and Hitachi continued to sell them until at least 2007. Mine has been great, the image is still quite sharp.

Last edited:
Cobra611 said:
Well, I had forced the download before Christmas, and was generally pleased with it. Aesthetically, it was more appealing than the previos version but some functions were just as slow ( and sometimes slower). After reading a few posts ( thanks Iceberg) I forced a download last night to go back to the old GUI so I could get the National release later that night Scrolling through the guide or my recorded program list was great. But, getting there was a pain because it was VERY slow. I hope this improves. Aside from that, I like the new color scheme and some of the new functionality. But, I do NOT like the obtrusive "banner" at the bottom of the screen when fast forwarding or rewinding a recorded program or live show. When I first did a forced download, the GUI had this. But, a few weeks later I did another and it actually went away, replaced by the program time stamp that had MUCH smaller borders. The way it is now, when I bring up program info and happen to have the bottom banner in view, it takes up nearly 2/3 of the screen leaving just a small viewing area. I HATE THIS!!!!!! I am glad, though, that I finally get the channel logos next to the channel number when the program info is up. Before, it was just the first few letters of that channel. Anyway, sorry for writing all this but I am really enjoying typing on this iPad!!!!!!!

The bar issue when playing back has been addressed with the current CE I believe, I don't have any issues with it at the moment.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

The bar at the bottom of the screen (when you play back something or use the timeshift) doesnt cover the whole bottom of the screen. Its only on like 2/3 of the bottom of the screen going across

Iceberg, I still have the shadow going from edge to edge and is does come up enough to be annoying combined with the program info bar up top. Combined, it takes up nearly 2/3 of the screen, top to bottom. I usually don't have them up on screen at the same time. But when I do, it obscures more than I think it should.

GUI looks nice, but.....more complicated to do usual functions. (not all universal remotes have a list button)
Scrolling through the guide is a lot faster but overall performance is MUCH slower than before the release.
I would have preferred a performance upgrade before changing the GUI.

your performance degradation must be one of the rare few as it has greatly increased for the majority of users.

what were you using to bring up "LIST" before?

i like the increased scrolling speed. much better in that regard. so far, that's about the only thing i like better about it. i like the old color scheme better. it seems the font is smaller on the newer one but i don't see more information. you would think the reason to make the font smaller would be so you could get more info on the screen. also the window showing the channel you're watching (moved to the upper left hand corner) appears to be smaller too. that's weird especially since there is room to make it larger.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts