Directv=HD Lite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DirecTV's MPEG2 HD looks worse then Dish Networks, however DirecTV's MPEG4 HD looks BETTER then Dish Networks.

Lets hope this is a sign of whats to come iin the future. :)

What does Dish have that is in Mpeg-4? Locals?

No it isn't, just ask the people that have Mpeg-4 locals how good they look compared to OTA, they can't tell the difference.
it is speculation for the national channels. D* has made no statements indicating that there is ANYTHING wrong with their mpeg2 HD PQ, infact they say its the best.:rolleyes:

Yeah the above mentioned are also... I haven't upgraded to a mpeg4 Direct receiver yet but my Samsung quit outputting Svideo and Component so I may be getting an H20 or HR20 soon...

Go with the HR20 if you can swing the extra cost. I like it better than the H20 for not only the DVR features, but it has CE things like being able to remove that Guide filter, media center features and future Video on Demand. Unlike the H20 it is DirecTV's most important receiver and will receive all attention now and the immediate future. Gotta love dual tuners too. :cool:

If and when I will do like Scott and put in a slimline dish and the receiver myself...bad thing is my 921 died this week so I want to replace it with another 622 (have not called dish yet as It is covered) although I guess I could get an HR20 instead ;)

I am getting my HR20's installed right now.

DirecTV's MPEG2 HD looks worse then Dish Networks, however DirecTV's MPEG4 HD looks BETTER then Dish Networks.

Lets hope this is a sign of whats to come iin the future. :)

Scott are you comparing the mpeg 4 locals between the two providers ? I don't know of any mpeg 4 national channels on Directv. How can you compare the mpeg 4 national channels on Dish ,like Cinemax and Starz ,since they don't have them on Directv? Also you don't have mpeg 4 locals through Dish for Connecticut right? So how can you compare them for Dish and Directv since Dish doesn't have your locals for Connecticut?

Everything went fine on my installs. Too bad I can't get any MPEG4 right now. No Locals for me. Took the guy about 3 hours to install the new dish, muliswitch and receivers.

Scott are you comparing the mpeg 4 locals between the two providers ? I don't know of any mpeg 4 national channels on Directv. How can you compare the mpeg 4 national channels on Dish ,like Cinemax and Starz ,since they don't have them on Directv? Also you don't have mpeg 4 locals through Dish for Connecticut right? So how can you compare them for Dish and Directv since Dish doesn't have your locals for Connecticut?
Simple answer, DirecTV does not have any national MPEG4 yet, however their Hartford Locals which they do carry in MPEG4 look as good as over the air, and I have compaired both side by side closely.

In addition last weeks Yankees vs Red Sox game was on ESPN HD on DIsh and Yes Network HD on DirecTV, the picture was much move vivid, sharp and colorfull (more lifelike) on DirecTV.

Thats how I can make that comparison. :D

I haven't had enough time to play with it and I am going out of town tomorrow and won't be back til Friday.

Simple answer, DirecTV does not have any national MPEG4 yet, however their Hartford Locals which they do carry in MPEG4 look as good as over the air, and I have compaired both side by side closely.

In addition last weeks Yankees vs Red Sox game was on ESPN HD on DIsh and Yes Network HD on DirecTV, the picture was much move vivid, sharp and colorfull (more lifelike) on DirecTV.

Thats how I can make that comparison. :D

Espn on Dish is in mpeg 2 and the Yes Hd on Directv is mpeg 2 also , So you are comparing mpeg 2 to mpeg 2 in this case right?

As to the locals in mpeg 4 you really can't make a comparison to Dish's mpeg 4 locals because you don't have them .

Satellite 129 transponder 2, StarzHD, HGTVHD, FoodHD, ESPN2HD, NTGHD, NFLHD are using the Next Generation Mpeg-4 Encoders. How many Dish mpeg4 channels are really mpeg2 with mpeg4 headers, Satellite 129 transponder 2 is the only 6 hd channel transponder so far. A lot of mpeg4 channels for locals but only 4 hd channels per transponder so my guess that these are not using the new Next Generation Mpeg-4 Encoders yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)