DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I noticed the installer was not going to give me a new remote also. I was replacing a H25 which had an IR remote. After I asked about a RF remote he went to the truck and gave me a RC65RX. During previous installs, installers have left the box and extra cables with me including extra HDMI cables. Not this time.

I am starting to regret buying this one. The MRV has only worked about 10% of the time. Last Saterday the box came up with not authorized for MRV, this is the only box it showed on. Spent over a hour on the phone with three different reps could not get working. Later on I tried a software down load, it appeared to down load the same version but this corrected the problem. Now last night it shows not authorized again, this time I am waiting to get the CE tonight.

All remotes & cables are no longer in the receiver box, they are packed separately.

Instruction manuals have also been removed as part of directv going "green" . Manuals are available online or can be orderd thru customer service.

All remotes & cables are no longer in the receiver box, they are packed separately.

Instruction manuals have also been removed as part of directv going "green" . Manuals are available online or can be orderd thru customer service.

I think you meant the word "cheap" in the middle of that statement.

I live in dothan al the installers had to go to birminghan al to pick up the hr34 so it be monday when they install hr34 here.

HIFI said:
We have been told to supply IR unless RF is requested by the customer, either way if you don't get the RF remote at install you know how to reach me. ;)

I'm always getting yelled at, if they have anything other then standards I give them RF remotes :) makes my warehouse manager mad but hey not everybody can be happy! :D

I didn't see this covered in this thread so I thought I would add my information in case it helps someone with a new install. I am new to D** from E** and Wed had the HR34 and 3 H25's installed in an All Home Media setup. One of my TV's is an older model HDTV but without an HDMI input. The H25's don't have anything but composite and HDMI outputs, so the HR34 was hooked up to this set with component cables. The system tested good and everything worked as it was supposed to except the H25's would not playback anything recorded. The guide would show the recordings but when you selected them they would usually not connect or if they did they wouldn't play. The installer said everything would work fine after 24hrs so I waited.

Yesterday I spent 2 hrs on the phone with tech support trying to get the system working correctly but no dice so they scheduled a tech to come out today. The tech showed up, took one look at the problem and said the HR34 had to be bad. He set up a work order to replace it next week and left. I decided to try changing the placement of the receivers and moved the HR34 to a room with an HDMI set and just connected the H25 in the other room with composite outputs.

Bingo!! Everything started working fine, except for the H25 connected with the composite outputs it still did the same thing. I called my original installer to try and cancel the work order and he sent me to his supervisor. The supervisor told me the system has to be connected with HDMI outputs for the Whole Home to work correctly, wish tech support knew this. Needed an excuse for a new TV anyway. So if you are going to get this system be aware everything has to be HDMI for it to work correctly.

Earl

Every since that software update Ox59d on my H25 receiver on Valentine Day, I am experiencing constantly freeze on all of the recorded shows on HR34....So frustrating, can't watch anything now......

Another dumb question, I have an HR24 with dual B band converters and talked to a rep about the HR34 and was told I need a SWIM? Is that installed at the dish or in the house? Will have try and do myself since there is a difference in my "home" and actual location.

I am having trouble with my HR-34. None of my HR-24's can actually playback recordings off of the HR-34. They see the programs but I get one of two error messages on it. The first one says that too many programs are already being played back, the other says that packets weren't received. My HR-34 can play back any of the programs on the HR-24's without issue. Multiple resets on all receivers. The tech here is baffled. Could it be an unbalanced SWIM setup, as one tech on the phone said? What does unbalanced mean?

Last edited:
DVDDAD said:
I am having trouble with my HR-34. None of my HR-34's can actually playback recordings on it. The see the programs but I gett one of two error messages on it. The first one says that too many programs are already being played back, the other says that packets weren't received. My HR-34 can play back any of the programs on the HR-24's without issue. Multiple resets on all receivers. The tech here is baffled. Could it be an unbalanced SWIM setup, as one tech on the phone said? What does unbalanced mean?

How many and what receivers do you have? Are you running a SWM16?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using SatelliteGuys

Another dumb question, I have an HR24 with dual B band converters and talked to a rep about the HR34 and was told I need a SWIM? Is that installed at the dish or in the house? Will have try and do myself since there is a difference in my "home" and actual location.

SWM is the LNB. It allows you to run one cable from the LNB to a splitter. DVR's only need one cable to them and no BBC are needed
It makes setups real slick. As example cable from the LNB to a 8 way splitter (Directv splitter)...one cable to R22, one cable to R22, one cable to the power inserter (can be hooked in line anywhere) to H23
The 8 way splitter means 8 tuners. So even though the HR34 uses one cable that takes up 5 "slots" on the splitter. If you go above 8 tuners then there is a different switch they use

Tech called already to verify what we were doing. He thought I was "adding" the HR34 to the account (which would give me 10 tuners). I explained that we were swapping a R22 for the HR34 and removing the other receivers. He said "you realize you'll only have TV in 1 room". Yup. Both DVR's are in the same room right now :)

He said he'll be here in 1/2 hour or so

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)