DIRECTV in Las Vegas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How utterly disappointing, if true, that a true 4k receiver is a year away. AT&T has REALLY fallen behind Dish on the hardware front.
Yeah, I think it's the AT&T management regarding this. AT&T is working to ditch the satellites, after all.

Well, Oppo UHD Blu-ray players are shipping with the ability to handel either HDR format (Dolby or HD10--the only two standards in serious consideration for being the HDR standard) with a subsequent firmware update, so I don't really buy DTV's excuse in not coming out with some 4K receiver. More likely it does not want to spen ANY money on 4K STB's because they are moving outside the realm of STB's as we know them and are spending money on TV Everywhere or the less expensive to provide DirecTVNOW. While AT&T eludes to it, IMHO the fact is that AT&T is running away from Sats and STB's as fast as they can. They have the debt to pay back for having acquired DTV in the first place. Even dear old Charlie Ergen sang the economic praises of his SlingTV with "No truckroll, right? No expensive equipment to install, right? Just download the app and start watching!" All his and DTV's costs in equipment and labor are GONE! All the cost is reduced to programming and app development and the IT portions of cloud DVR, and they can price storage capacity by tier, if they like (I beleive SlingTV plans no extra charge for 100Hrs of storage, but larger capacity at tiered pricing).

Both DTV and Dish now have OTT MVPD stream services, so they are set for the future, but sat probably may become quite diminihed in its role except for rural America, or perhaps, the FCC may allow much of the current DBS slots to be used for internet via satellite service.

Why does the ATSC 3.0 standards have anything to do with AT&T waiting for a year to release a new STB that does 4K via it's HDMI and not needing a client? AT&T doesn't care about OTA reception anymore so that's not the reason for a holdup.
I might have missed a refernce to the ATSC 3.0 standard
Why does the ATSC 3.0 standards have anything to do with AT&T waiting for a year to release a new STB that does 4K via it's HDMI and not needing a client? AT&T doesn't care about OTA reception anymore so that's not the reason for a holdup.
I don't think the speaker was talking about ATSC 3.0. I think DTV is waiting for an HDR standard to be adopted for the UHD (4K) format. There are a number of HDR standards, but Dolby's Dolby Vision and HDR10 are the most likely to be adopted. However, Oppo UHD Blu-ray players are now shipping with the ability to run either Dolby Vision or HDR10 with a subsequent firmware update. Some UHD TV's even offer both, as well. Let's face it, DTV just does not want to invest any money AT ALL in a 4K STB. As a consumer, it is wise to wait, but not necessarily for DTV, especially when they aren't really interested in making a 4K STB.

Scott, Any more News in DirecTV today since you said you were supposed to meet with them today Thanks appreciate it and all info from CES

Scott met with DirecTV at their conference yesterday, I don't believe there was another meeting planned. As I would expect from AT&T, they were very tight lipped about anything that is future potential for DirecTV.

Perhaps the biggest, which I would say was not unexpected, is that they have no new hardware on the forefront in 2017 for the DirecTV platform.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
What about all the RV'ers out there that use satellite as their primary way to receive TV? Will they have to go wireless internet?

Reactions: Jimbo
Scott met with DirecTV at their conference yesterday, I don't believe there was another meeting planned. As I would expect from AT&T, they were very tight lipped about anything that is future potential for DirecTV.

Perhaps the biggest, which I would say was not unexpected, is that they have no new hardware on the forefront in 2017 for the DirecTV platform.
Thanks!!

Reactions: madmadworld
What about all the RV'ers out there that use satellite as their primary way to receive TV? Will they have to go wireless internet?
Yes, that would suck ...
Using Sat service for TV in the RV every trip.
This is also what I don't like about the potential of making 1 recvr priority and the rest work off it.

This is also one reason I still have HR24s and don't want ANY clients.

Reactions: madmadworld

DirecTV receivers will continue to work fine in RVs that work today. If more recent equipment is desired, they can shift to Dish. But if what they have today works, why change? Especially as that change may cost some bucks with new dish antennas. In my experience, RVers don't need the latest and greatest. Full timers might, though.

ATT may be betting big on their broadband over power lines advance. But they have years to go. If they find it ain't the panacea they think it is, they can still update their satellite fleet and receivers. And if it IS so great, a lot of campgrounds will use it if there aren't better alternatives, to offer some $ervice to campers.

Personally, I don't think they're going to roll out that broadband solution to areas where homes are ten miles apart. I haven't seen the economics, but I'll bet even a couple miles apart might be stretching it.

DirecTV receivers will continue to work fine in RVs that work today. If more recent equipment is desired, they can shift to Dish. But if what they have today works, why change? Especially as that change may cost some bucks with new dish antennas. In my experience, RVers don't need the latest and greatest. Full timers might, though.

ATT may be betting big on their broadband over power lines advance. But they have years to go. If they find it ain't the panacea they think it is, they can still update their satellite fleet and receivers. And if it IS so great, a lot of campgrounds will use it if there aren't better alternatives, to offer some $ervice to campers.

Personally, I don't think they're going to roll out that broadband solution to areas where homes are ten miles apart. I haven't seen the economics, but I'll bet even a couple miles apart might be stretching it.
I would like to be able to have a Genie in the Motor home, but thats not gonna happen seeing I have 1 in the home.
I use the HR24s in the home as well as the RV currently ... in the house they work with the Genie very well.

IF the HR24s go bad and they want to push you to the clients, I'll have to pass, hopefully they 24's work well for a long time.
DISH is NOT an option.
They could Never come close to the programming and pricing I have .

I have been complaining about the sound drops on the 4K. I too want to know about a software fix. If it is not done soon, I will go to dish.

Add to that no telephone if one is using a VoIP phone service to replace telco phone service. :).

Just curious - does that LA in your username mean Los Angeles? If so, you are in a different world than most places. Millions of current Directv customers can't get sufficient Internet to stream. I can stream "The Man In the High Castle" in 4K at night. And do nothing else online, including visit this forum. It skips a lot during the day. 1 HD stream will work. More than 1, and you really have 0. I simply won't be able to keep my favorite TV service if the talk of "no satellites" and "Directv Now" which is missing a lot of content is true. About 2 months ago, I got a letter in the mail saying that faster speeds were available in my area. I got it. Now I have 50 mbps Internet. I am sure in LA anything under 150 is considered dial-up.

Just curious - does that LA in your username mean Los Angeles? If so, you are in a different world than most places. Millions of current Directv customers can't get sufficient Internet to stream. I can stream "The Man In the High Castle" in 4K at night. And do nothing else online, including visit this forum. It skips a lot during the day. 1 HD stream will work. More than 1, and you really have 0. I simply won't be able to keep my favorite TV service if the talk of "no satellites" and "Directv Now" which is missing a lot of content is true. About 2 months ago, I got a letter in the mail saying that faster speeds were available in my area. I got it. Now I have 50 mbps Internet. I am sure in LA anything under 150 is considered dial-up.

Lots of areas here have either 30 or 60. Not 150. But maybe someday...

I have been complaining about the sound drops on the 4K. I too want to know about a software fix. If it is not done soon, I will go to dish.
No one is disagreeing with you......but...You wont get anything from dish as they have nothing....

Dish does. It have any live linear 4K currently. However their 4K VOD library is much larger than DIRECTV's. The big issue with that is you need broadband to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish does. It have any live linear 4K currently. However their 4K VOD library is much larger than DIRECTV's. The big issue with that is you need broadband to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
And Amazon has more....again....you gain nothing other than eating bandwidth up.....If your lucky enough to have good download speeds.....
Its apples to apples...with 4K.....Direct has some, dish non.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts