Directv Next 24 markets for HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LMckin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Upstate SC
DIRECTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive High-Definition Local Channels in Spring 2006; Local HD Markets Will Total 36, Representing More Than 58 Percent of U.S. Television Homes
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 22, 2006--Continuing to widely expand its local high-definition (HD) programming services, DIRECTV, Inc. (NYSE: DTV), the nation's leading digital television service provider, today named the next 24 U.S. markets that will receive local HD programming.

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

The 24 local markets to receive HD programming include:
  • Baltimore
  • Minneapolis, Minn.
  • Birmingham, Ala.
  • Nashville, Tenn.
  • Charlotte, N.C.
  • Orlando, Fla.
  • Cleveland
  • Phoenix
  • Columbus, Ohio
  • Pittsburgh
  • Denver
  • Raleigh, N.C.
  • Fresno, Calif.
  • Sacramento, Calif.
  • Hartford, Conn.
  • Salt Lake City
  • Indianapolis
  • San Diego
  • Kansas City, Mo./Kan.
  • Seattle
  • Miami
  • St Louis, Mo.
  • Milwaukee, Wisc.
  • West Palm Beach, Fla.
"The expansion of local HD programming is one of the cornerstones of our brand strategy to provide the best entertainment experience for DIRECTV's customers and sets us apart from our competition," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, DIRECTV, Inc. "With the rollout of 24 new local HD markets, we will offer access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD programming to 58 percent of U.S. television homes. We expect to expand our HD local coverage to even more markets later this year."

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 141 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 12 HD local channel markets, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington, D.C. With the launch of two new satellites -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 -- in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

All DIRECTV local HD programming is being transmitted via MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression and advanced modulation that more than doubles the efficiency of DIRECTV's capacity.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing the new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations and Ka-band signals. Through Feb. 28, DIRECTV is offering new and existing customers a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a DIRECTV HD Receiver. (Limit one rebate per account.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding The DIRECTV Group, Inc.'s business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.

http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=IROL-news

Last edited by a moderator:
I should be in the next 24. Hope they have the smaller ka-ku dish ready by then! :)

wildcats said:
Does anyone know when Cincinnati will be included?

Check charper1's comments in the thread above. Cinci was skipped this time, so they should be at the top of the next round.

charper1 said:
DFW is online already since the 1st round (well, after the 1 test market DET)

So then this sentence isn't really accurate?

LMckin said:
Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC.

spartanstew said:

Sure it is...

They will roll out the first city(whichever one it will be) of the 24 listed, in April...

Seeing how that already launched the FIRST markets already, and this relates to the next group, I think it would be better if it said:

Beginning in April of 2006, DIRECTV will roll out the next 12 markets that will be offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC.

....and then list said markets.

spartanstew said:
Though others have replied, let me give it a try. The quote you posted was:

"Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC."

The way I read it was:

"Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC."

Does that make it any clearer?

What the heck?!!! I got my HD installed in January and my installer siad D* would offer local HDs to Albuquerque-Santa Fe market within the year!!!. LIAR! I can't say im surprised he lied though.

HBKbiggestfan said:
What the heck?!!! I got my HD installed in January and my installer siad D* would offer local HDs to Albuquerque-Santa Fe market within the year!!!. LIAR! I can't say im surprised he lied though.

Why are you calling him a lair?!?

DirecTV stated in their recent interviews that their current plan is to serve the top 76% of DMAs by the end of 2006' and Albuquerque-Santa Fe is only #46 and is very likely. What is your source for the denial?

Miami is going to get the local HD on satellite April 8. I couldn't find the date here so found it elsewhere and called D* today and scheduled the H20 receiver and AT9 dish to be installed in the morning for 122.50 total upgrade price.

I just got another LCD Samsung for the game room and couldn't make it work without outputting the Tivo in 480i. The HDMI into my main monitor was inhibiting component and video to other units. H20 info says it will output both simutaneously so that should fix a big problem I was trying to deal with. Also the H20 has more video outputs. They said I can still use the HD Tivo so will see how that works in the morning hopefully. I have a feeling I will need a splitter to do that.

I called D* the other day to find out when my HD locals in Cleveland will be rolling out, and they said not until May.

Someone just got a new install in my neighborhood and they installed what appeared to be the new dish. Maybe that means HD locals are coming to Orlando soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)