DirecTV & NFL Extend Exclusive Sunday Ticket Through 2014

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I must have missed that. From what I could gather, most here assumed that they would keep it exclusive. Oh well.

it's also a coincidence that the nfl plans to extend the regular season to 18 games starting in... 2011. the same year the new contract begins for Directv. so... how much more did those 2 extra games per year cost D??? the new contract is for 1 billion per year. how much is it per year under the current contract?

Yeah, by definition, but monopolies are not always bad. Especially when it is a luxury item in which people choose to pay for. The fact that the market is already limit by that fact, that alone somewhat keeps the prices reasonable. Of course they could lower it to a few buck and may get many times the number of subs, but the the revenue will not be enough to offset their costs. As well, if they make it too high, the number of subs will decrease, thus they will not have enough subs to offset their costs.

I'm glad i'm not paying D* anymore money. Wonder how long before this bites D* in the A#^. Less games then ever but much higher cost every year. Yep BIG mistake IMHO.

I'm glad i'm not paying D* anymore money. Wonder how long before this bites D* in the A#^. Less games then ever but much higher cost every year. Yep BIG mistake IMHO.
I am predicting that Direct will profit even more as they still own the Red Zone channel and will make money off selling broadcasting rights to other providers. Plus, comparable packages with Dish are around the same price with Direct, so the price increase on all customers thing is not really accurate.

yeah... i posted above that the nfl is extending the regular season to 18 games in 2011. sounds like more to me ;):)
Yep, they will be going from 256 game per year to 288 total games. This means that subs will be paying less per game.

I am predicting that Direct will profit even more as they still own the Red Zone channel and will make money off selling broadcasting rights to other providers. Plus, comparable packages with Dish are around the same price with Direct, so the price increase on all customers thing is not really accurate.

i agree. i don't get why some claim that directv makes no money off of this. if this were true D would not be having such positive numbers $$$. To extend a contract and pay more per year for something you weren't making money off of in the first place would be suicide to me :confused:

i agree. i don't get why some claim that directv makes no money off of this. if this were true D would not be having such positive numbers $$$. To extend a contract and pay more per year for something you weren't making money off of in the first place would be suicide to me :confused:

I have never understood it either, but some are sure that this is the case. I simply can not see D* (or any smart company) pumping this kind of cash (year after year) into a product that does not make them money. I also can not see where it costs all of the subs money when comparing what it would cost me if E* were my primary service here. Of course each situation is different, but the price difference is negligable either way, and D* is spending BILLIONS on ST. So where is Charlie saving his money, and how is he passing it on to the subs? It makes no sense.

For clarification, I am not trying to get into a D* vs E* thing. Just an observation and agreement with previous posts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)