DirecTV & NFL Extend Exclusive Sunday Ticket Through 2014

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
the NFL still needs to reach agreements with cable and broadband providers on the price and access to the Red Zone Channel. Negotiations with those companies to carry the NFL Network, the league-owned cable channel, have dragged on for several years. The league also has been battling Comcast Corp. in court and at the Federal Communications Commission over the cable provider's decision not to include the NFL Network in its basic digital tier of channels. However, the deal with DirecTV bodes well for the league as it approaches talks with its broadcast partners for new agreements. Its current deals with General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal, CBS Corp. and Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN expire after 2011. Under those deals, ESPN pays the NFL $1.1 billion a season, NBC Universal pays $600 million and CBS pays $620 million.

This deal represents the first time the NFL has licensed the online rights to its games. Details about what the service—which the DirecTV release said will begin “no later than 2012”— will look like or where it will be housed online (on the NFL site or a separate URL) were not disclosed. But if the service resembles the free games streamed on NFL.com last season, it’s good news for football fanatics and perhaps DirecTV, who must turn their billion-dollar-a-year investment into paying subscribers. The online NFL service, which streamed Sunday and Thursday games in conjunction with broadcasts on NBC, featured HD full-screen players and the ability to manually change the camera angle at any time during the game.
While the league gave up the online rights, the NFL won the right to create a new channel called “Red Zone Channel” (to be launched in the next couple of years) that shows real-time highlights of NFL games that will be distributed on multiple media, including cable, satellite, online and mobile.

Less games?
Yes. Lets see The list of Games not on Sunday ticket.
NBC sunday night games,
NFL network games Thursday nights,
Saturday night Primetime games near the end of the Year.
Monday Night games
Thanksgiving day games
All Playoff games
This was never the case back in when NFL ST was only $150 for the season, Now its double the price for over 25 games less per year

For DirecTV, I do not think this package necessairly has to break even in that X amount of subs need to subscribe so that the package just breaks even. The fact that DirecTV has NFLST draws in customers from other subs such as Time Warner, Comcast, Dish Network and the likes and these people then sub to other packages as well. That is where the money is...

NBC sunday night games,
Monday Night games
Thanksgiving day games
All Playoff games
This was never the case back in when NFL ST was only $150 for the season, Now its double the price for over 25 games less per year

I don't know hemi. the word sunday ticket kind of implies sunday games only :)

NBC sunday night games,
Monday Night games
Thanksgiving day games
All Playoff games

I don't know hemi. the word sunday ticket kind of implies sunday games only :)

Yes, it's ALWAY's been SUNDAY games only, back in the day, we didn't have a Sunday NIGHT game or a Thursday night game.

There have always been a Saturday games late in the year though.

Jimbo

It ONLY carries regional (not national) FOX and CBS games. Always has, always will. NFLST carrying national games would defeat the purpose of an out of market sports package.

Yes, it's ALWAY's been SUNDAY games only, back in the day, we didn't have a Sunday NIGHT game or a Thursday night game.

Jimbo

It ONLY carries regional (not national) FOX and CBS games. Always has, always will. NFLST carrying national games would defeat the purpose of an out of market sports package.

that's what i thought too. thanks guys.

Jimbo
Exactly. More games back in the day were on Sunday Ticket
Now Sunday ticket subscribers are paying double , But have been losing games to Primtime and National tv. Plus any game now that may bring in High Ratings get moved to a Primetime slot, where and When Ever the NFL wants to without notice.
I'm not saying Suday ticket isn't nice. But its not worth a penny more then what it was 10 years ago IMHO.

Exactly. More games back in the day were on Sunday Ticket
Now Sunday ticket subscribers are paying double , But have been losing games to Primtime and National tv. Plus any game now that may bring in High Ratings get moved to a Primetime slot, where and When Ever the NFL wants to without notice.
I'm not saying Suday ticket isn't nice. But its not worth a penny more then what it was 10 years ago IMHO.

i hear ya. still cheaper than buying good season tickets for the team of your choice no? plus you can watch more than one game at a time ;) i think it's worth it. my problem is the way things are i don't know that i'll be able to afford it this year. if i can it's worth it to me :)

NBC sunday night games,
Monday Night games
Thanksgiving day games
All Playoff games

NFL ST got too expensive for me several years ago, but if the rumor of an 18 game season comes true (which was discussed on ESPN's Pardon the Interuption) then there will be more games. Also the Monday (ABC carried it before ESPN) and Sunday (ESPN/TNT carried them before NBC) night games were around before the NFL ST. There were Saturday night/afternoon games before the ST as well. I've been watching the NFL for a very long time so I know these things. The thing that is new are the 8 or so NFL network Thursday night games which includes Thanksgiving night. However, the Thanksgiving day afternoon games have been around before ST as well.

So if we get 2 more weeks of games that will be a gain of at least 20 more games to make up for the 8 or so games that have been lost.

NFL ST got too expensive for me several years ago, but if the rumor of an 18 game season comes true (which was discussed on ESPN's Pardon the Interuption) then there will be more games. Also the Monday (ABC carried it before ESPN) and Sunday (ESPN/TNT carried them before NBC) night games were around before the NFL ST. There were Saturday night/afternoon games before the ST as well. I've been watching the NFL for a very long time so I know these things. The thing that is new are the 8 or so NFL network Thursday night games which includes Thanksgiving night. However, the Thanksgiving day afternoon games have been around before ST as well.

So if we get 2 more weeks of games that will be a gain of at least 20 more games to make up for the 8 or so games that have been lost.

great point. the nfl may vote as soon as May to extend the season. I believe the 18 game season would begin in 2011. the same time the new contract for NFLST begins;)

NFL ST got too expensive for me several years ago, but if the rumor of an 18 game season comes true (which was discussed on ESPN's Pardon the Interuption) then there will be more games. .

I guess that is why I questioned Hemi. At the time D* starts paying the NFL more money for this, there could very well be more games available. He did not make it clear what he meant, or I did not understand him. Maybe a little of both.

I guess that is why I questioned Hemi. At the time D* starts paying the NFL more money for this, there could very well be more games available. He did not make it clear what he meant, or I did not understand him. Maybe a little of both.
When Monday Night football was the only national game, ST had 13 games a week (14 games/week for the whole NFL due to fewer teams) for a total of 208 games on ST. Only 28 teams back then

When Monday and Sunday night football became national, ST had 14 games a week (16 games total/week for the whole NFL) for a total of 224 games on ST. Number of teams increased to 30.

Now we have Monday, Sunday, and Thursday night football. ST now carries 13 games a week again for a total of 208 games, just like at the start.

In the future the number of weeks will increase by 2 and ST will still carry 13 games per week. Now the total number of games will increase to 234, accounting for more total games than ever.

I was away during this new agreement; was it mentioned here that DTV pays the NFL their $1Billion even if a lockout & strike happens during the 2011 season?

They still have to pay $1billion that year, but less is paid out over the back end as I heard on the radio today in the event of a strike...

They still have to pay $1billion that year, but less is paid out over the back end as I heard on the radio today in the event of a strike...

Correct, this will acutally be used in the owners favor as if there is a strike, the owners will still have some money distributed to them, as the players will not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)