DirecTV & NFL Extend Exclusive Sunday Ticket Through 2014

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry fellas, but if it (NFL ST) continues up in price significantly, i will be forced to go to the dark side (ie account stack with my neighbor). I've already discussed it with my neighbor and we are both feeling the hit, especially in a down economy. F* em! D* is turning into to the MAN and the NFL isn't helping. In this case sorry to say but: "IF YOU AINT CHEATING YOU AINT TRYING!". I hate to advocate quasi theft, but damn give me a break with billion dollar year payment to the NFL the average fan viewer could expect to pay $500 bucks per year extra, that's freaking crazy!!!!!!

There are a couple of differences between the MLB and NFL situations. 1) MLB EI was available on other providers already so making it exclusive would be taking something away from people that they already had. The NFL ST has always been exclusive. 2) MLB has an antitrust exemption grant to it by Congress. So Congress threatened to take that exemption away. The NFL doesn't have any such exemption so Congress doesn't have that particular form of leverage over the NFL.

No antitrust exemption for the NFL?
Senator Specter seems to think you are wrong about that:
The NFL's ability to negotiate exclusive sports packages is under fire from the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) twice said he would introduce legislation in the next session aimed at eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws.
Specter said the NFL should not use the exemption to negotiate exclusive programming packages such as DirecTV's Sunday Ticket, which allows viewers to watch teams outside their regional market.
So does the NFL:
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello helped clear things up for us.
“There are antitrust exemptions contained in two pieces of federal legislation passed by Congress in the 1960s,” Aiello said via e-mail. “One allows the NFL to negotiate national television contracts for all 32 teams and to regionalize broadcasts. The other protects the league from antitrust lawsuits related to the NFL-AFL merger of 1970.”
“Regarding the federal legislation, the 1961 Sports Broadcasting Act allows sports leagues to package their games into one or more TV packages and to regionalize telecasts,” Aiello added. “In 1966, Congress approved the NFL-AFL merger — shielding it from being challenged in court on antitrust grounds — because it was in the public interest in terms of maintaining franchise stability and because the merged league also was committed to expansion.”

This is true! All they have to do is get over 300,000 and hey are even!
WOW what is wrong with me!! at the current price they would have to get over 3,000,000 subs. 3,333,333.33:D that would break them even. Of coarse they still make a lot of money with ads and so on.. Also selling to bars at thousands of dollars spent at each one.

it's also a coincidence that the nfl plans to extend the regular season to 18 games starting in... 2011. the same year the new contract begins for Directv. so... how much more did those 2 extra games per year cost D??? the new contract is for 1 billion per year. how much is it per year under the current contract?

I read they currently pay $700 MIL/yr

At least one senator is happy with the situation.
MultiChannel News reports:
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas), ranking member of the Senate Commerce Committee, gave the NFL a shout-out for their renewal of NFL's Sunday Ticket package of games with DirecTV through 2014.

The four-year deal, pegged at about $4 billion, includes offering the out-of-market games package to broadband outlets in markets where there is no satellite service.

That sat well with the legislator. "It is important for consumers to have enhanced viewing options," said Hutchison in a statement late Monday. "The NFL and DirecTV have worked out an arrangement that will preserve, and even enhance the experience for millions of consumers without government intervention. It is also important that parties work together to find innovative ways to offer such content to areas where satellite service is unavailable."

do you two have a bromance going on? I always see you guys posting in pairs and agreeing with each other :D
Stuart, it is the people that do not post agreements with us that you should watch out for.....be afraid....be very afraid

Well Rey, lets go. I have to go pick up my daughter from daycare. We will see you guys later

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)