DirecTV & NFL Extend Exclusive Sunday Ticket Through 2014

Status
Please reply by conversation.
NFL Scores With $4 Billion DirecTV Sunday Ticket Extension - 2009-03-23 23:08:52 - Multichannel News

Holy Smokes:

Announced during the NFL owners meeting in Dana Point, Calif., the pay-per-view pact, according to sources familiar with the negotiations, is valued at about $1 billion annually from 2011-2014.
DirecTV currently pays some $700 million on its Sunday Ticket contract that expires after the 2010 season.
Both the NFL and DirecTV declined to discuss financial terms.

$1 Billion a year! Pretty soon we may be paying $500 a year (or not).

Wow thats some BIG dollars, this year people already had a choice to pay sunday ticket over ten months I think, so cost should stay they same this year, but future years??

From what others are saying on other forums, only those that CANNOT get DirecTV will be able to access the broadband option. If you have Dish or another provider and ARE able to get Direct if you CHOOSE, then the broadband alternative is NOT an option for those folks.
Just because u can get E* does not automatically mean u can get d* because their satellites are in a different part of the sky!!!

Is it just me or is now the time that the government should step in and revoke the antitrust exemption on the grounds of the public good. This entire thing is going way too far with a billion bucks each year. I'm sorry but broadband access just isn't enough. If the NFL really cared about the greater good they could allow at the least other companies (cable and telco that is) to offer Sunday Ticket to customers who cannot get a signal. DirecTV could require the customer to attempt a free installation which in turn allows their address to go into a DirecTV list to authorize my cable company to offer me the package at the current DirecTV Sunday Ticket prices.

I'm sorry but a company just cannot be allowed to have an exclusive contract when they cannot provide said service to every american without providing a real alternative such as allowing the cable company to offer said service to customer. Broadband access is a slap in the face to most true HD customers and this just confirms my beliefs that the NFL is the party to blame not DirecTV. If the NFL really cared about the fans they just would refuse to provide an exclusive contract.

I've always heard that the reason why the NFL likes to have it exclusive with just one provider is that if all providers could have the ST, that would devalue their TV deals with CBS/Fox. I don't know if that would be case, but I've always heard that was one of the reasons.

Disagree. This is a contractual agreement between two parties. Both of which wish to profit from those who choose to pay for a service that they do NOT need. If Direct charges too much, they will lose subs. They had to know the optimum price that they can pay for exclusive rights to where it will not hurt their profit margin too much. No reason for the government to step in as the market will limit what can be done and how much they will make.

Disagree. This is a contractual agreement between two parties. Both of which wish to profit from those who choose to pay for a service that they do NOT need. If Direct charges too much, they will lose subs. They had to know the optimum price that they can pay for exclusive rights to where it will not hurt their profit margin too much. No reason for the government to step in as the market will limit what can be done and how much they will make.

i agree 100%. the government has better things to do

I guess this proves that Darth Malone isn't Cheapo Charlie. Darth Malone is simply adding every ***** sports on the planet

and some of us are real happy about that ;)

Last edited:
I wonder where this rates with the players union when they hear the commishoner talking about the rough times ahead for the NFL with the economic climate as they are talking future labor contracts getting this billion dollar deal

What does a billion dollars look like? Using $100 bills:

pile.jpg

One Million ($1,000,000)

pallet.jpg

One Hundred Million ($100,000,000)

pallet_x_10.jpg

One Billion or One Thousand Million ($1,000,000,000)

Over 4 years there will be 4 times as many pallets as the image above.

A bit to early, but what do you think the package will or could cost in the future

I still don't understand why the NFL insists on doing this, "all or nothing" ppv option. IMHO they should sell out of market packages by team. In other words, if you're a retired Giants fan living in Florida you can buy a one team package for $xx.xx or you can buy all of the games like they offer now.

IMHO, I think it ridiculous to pay the kind of money D*/NFL charge for the package.
If it was a league where each team played about 20- 25 games each it might be worth it. Heck, in a few short weeks its over. Between, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and The NFL Network, I think I am satisfied with the amount of football I get, even though it is only for a few lousy weeks.

IMHO, I think it ridiculous to pay the kind of money D*/NFL charge for the package.
If it was a league where each team played about 20- 25 games each it might be worth it. Heck, in a few short weeks its over. Between, CBS, FOX, NBC, ESPN and The NFL Network, I think I am satisfied with the amount of football I get, even though it is only for a few lousy weeks.
As far as sports packages go, not only is it the most expensive, the cost per game even further exceeds that of other packages. In all of the other sports there are games everyday and several times during the day. For ST there are only games on Sunday for a few hours. Most of the games occur a the same time, so what people are paying for is a choice of games to watch for a small amount of time.

To compare, EI is about $100 less, get over 2,000 games during the year, $0.10 per game. Whereas, ST cost $300 for the year for only about 250 games during the year for only 18 weeks (about 4 months), $1.20 per game (keep in mind, most of the games occur at the same time so you cannot come close to watching all 250). That is about 12 times as much per game.

Directv and the NFL are going to kill the package if they keep raising the rates. Now with having this extra fee, I don't see how they will avoid raising the rates by at least $100 per year.

Directv and the NFL are going to kill the package if they keep raising the rates. Now with having this extra fee, I don't see how they will avoid raising the rates by at least $100 per year.

if they raise it too much i might not renew. in fact i was hoping that superfan would be free this year but i guess that's going out the window

Another Take...
The National Football League said it extended its exclusive deal with DirecTV for its Sunday Ticket package of out-of-market games through the 2014 season.
DirecTV also extended its carriage of the NFL Network.
Cable operators, who want a piece of the Sunday Ticket package, have resisted carrying the NFL Network.
The NFL’s current $700-million-a-year deal with DirecTV was set to expire in 2010. Terms of the new agreement were not disclosed.
Source & More: tvweek.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.