DIRECTV NOW LAUNCH

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes with owned equipment, no contract pay as you go. Being single receiver there is no DVR fee on 211k but for dvr ability there is a 1 time $40 fee for hard drive hookup fee lifetime attached to account should hard drive fail you can replace without hookup fee again. Vip211K runs about $80 purchased + 2 gig hard drive, and expense of dish if you don't already have for owned equipment.

Under contract 2 year leased equipment the Welcome package is no longer offered unless grandfathered is my understanding. Next lowest package that includes locals is smart package for $36 month but doesn't have the missing channels you want. The $34 flex does have what you want but locals are extra. No doubt Dish has much cheaper base packages than Directv without extra fees like HD and RSN tax etc.
Probably cheaper than an outdoor antenna and OTA DVR; definitely worth exploring. Thanks!

Bought DTVN for daughter for Xmas, 3 mos for the free Apple TV. Well, someone stole the Apple TV delivery from her doorway. 1/2 hour from time FedEx said they delivered it to when she checked. They've been investigating for a week with no answer. She's pissed. College student, hasn't had time to call DTVN to see if they'll help, is doing that tonight. Don't have high hopes though. Disappointing.

If you have AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet for you internet service(50GB data cap), does (AT&T owned) DirecTV Now count against its data caps? I am currently stuck "in a tent, in a cave, on Mars(figuratively speaking, but I am currently stuck in the boonies)," & I need an answer that isn't theoretical.

How has this been working on apple TV lately? Read that an update basically shut it down on that device.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Daughters Apple TV mysteriously showed up on her doorstep this am, no explanation, but a 2nd label from FedEx on it. She hooked it up and said it is working great.

We ordered the Apple TV with the three months and have had nothing but trouble. Buffering errors and HBO on demand trouble. We start a movie and it freezes up over and over. Then it will error out and say their having trouble.

We've tried all the new services and I wanted this one to be it. $35 for 100 channels plus $5 HBO and $5 Cinemax is a great price. My wife and I were both willing to wait for DVR. It just seems like it's not ready at all.

We paid for 3 months so I'll hang and hope it gets better. If not then I'll cancel it.

It does OK on my iPad mini. Just freezes a little.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
We ordered the Apple TV with the three months and have had nothing but trouble. Buffering errors and HBO on demand trouble. We start a movie and it freezes up over and over. Then it will error out and say their having trouble.
Install the HBO Go app on the Apple TV.

It's one of the few things that you can use your DirecTV NOW credentials to authorize, which is great because the HBO app is infinitely less problematic.

We've tried all the new services and I wanted this one to be it. $35 for 100 channels plus $5 HBO and $5 Cinemax is a great price. My wife and I were both willing to wait for DVR. It just seems like it's not ready at all.

We paid for 3 months so I'll hang and hope it gets better. If not then I'll cancel it.

It does OK on my iPad mini. Just freezes a little.

Sent from my LG-H901 using the SatelliteGuys app!
How fast is your Internet and what kind of router do you use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Haven't turned the service on for a week, decided to check it tonight.

It's been on two minutes and it's still dropping out constantly.

Vue is on in the living room on the same channel. No issues with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Now has to figure out why this service is working great for some and not at all for others or this service will self implode.
That part isn't really a mystery.

Most of the content is distributed using Akamai, with a few exceptions (ie, Disney channels are coming from Verizon CDN endpoints).

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/about/facts-figures.jsp said:
Akamai has deployed the most pervasive, highly-distributed content delivery network (CDN) with more than 216,000 servers in over 120 countries and within more than 1,500 networks around the world.

So even if you say 1/3rd of those are in the US (since that's where Akamai got its start, and predominantly serves US companies) - that's still 72,000 unique endpoints that people could be attaching to for DirecTV NOW for most channels, and your experience can vary wildly depending on that cache engine's ability to reliably receive upstream content, have processing power to repackage it for the specific endpoint requirements, and have the compute resources to handle the TCP connection demand. Oh, also keeping in mind that DirecTV is only 1 of Akamai's customers -- they still need to provide acceptable service to their other paying customers which include most of the Fortune100 landscape from shipping companies (UPS, Fedex) to retail companies (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc).

Scale on these platforms is going to continue to be a problem - it's not like broadcast TV where a single signal is put out and we all capture it in some way to watch. With services like DirecTV NOW every client gets their very own unique stream, which means you need to scale the infrastructure linearly with every new viewer. Worse yet, you need to manage thousands of localized problems. In Minneapolis there are Akamai cache pools on Comcast, Charter, US Internet, and Centurylink for residential ISP services and nearby caches for ATT and VZ wireless customers (probably for Sprint and TMO too, I just haven't been able to directly verify that). So in just 1 metro area those are 6-8 different cache engine capacity pools you have to manage that are network-specific and can be individually exhausted. Now expand that problem to all ISPs across the whole US and you can see why this stuff isn't getting fixed overnight.

Reactions: reddice
That is why they would buffer less then the other channels. Also when the Disney channels had issues on DTV also Sling and there native apps were affected too.

Good to know. Disney XD is a channel my kid watches religously. He was watching in prime time and not one stutter or glitch. Change to other channels and immediate buffering during prime time.

The new service has peaked “about around 35,000 simultaneous viewers,” Dan Rayburn, EVP for StreamingMedia.com and principal analyst at Frost & Sullivan, noted Thursday in this blog post, citing info obtained from key third-party suppliers that deliver video for DirecTV Now.
http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/directv-now-peaking-35k-simultaneous-streams-analyst/410298

Now all they need to do is fix the service for the first 35,000 viewers and then they can go after the remaining 20.4 million satellite subscribers! :oldlaugh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)