DIRECTV NOW LAUNCH

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I want to sign up, but I want the free Apple TV.... so not sure if I sign up online for that or have to go to an AT&T store.

BTW just clicked to sign up in Firefox and got this message...

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 6.42.55 AM.png

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us

Two things I learned browsing their help:

- Can stream anywhere in the US, but locals (if provided) will be limited to your billing zip code.
- The device offer is shipped in 2-3 weeks (could be faster, perhaps they gave themselves a buffer), but you can stream immediate.

Channel Lookup Tool - for searching your zip code for locals / RSN.

A few odd channel restrictions:
Unavailable channels
  • CBS & CW local channels.
  • NBC local channels (unavailable using streaming devices or Apple TV).
  • Disney Channel, Disney JR, Disney XD and Freeform (unavailable with Internet Explorer 11/Windows 10).
There seem to be some agreement limitations with NBC, and likely a source/software limitation with Disney.

Free Device Offer valid through 3/31/17:

Exp. 3/31/17. Prepay for 3 months and receive a Free Apple TV – Gen 4 32 GB. Online orders will be shipped FedEx ground to address provided at point of sale. Non-refundable. Limit 1 free device offer per email address.

Trying the free trial just to see how it works.

On Safari I had to install Silverlight - no big deal - but the DirecTV Now doesn't trigger the browser to ask to enable after installation, instead it just doesn't load the video.
That will be a support issue if it isn't changed.

The Microsoft silverlight site (loads after installation) triggers the brewers to ask permission to use the software.

Downloaded app on Amazon fire tv using the free trial.
Guide setup is pretty sweet as you can add favorites.
Not all channels are hd such as cspan and FXM which is to be expected since these are not HD on DIRECTV.
You CAN pause live tv on all channels. Not sure how long though. No other dvr functions as expected though.
The pq is not as good as vue. Especially sports. Very similar to Sling tv. Remember too pq will probably change from different devices. I'll play with it a bit but my first impression is it is solid. Very good UI. Pq is lacking for my taste but hopefully that will improve.

Reactions: reddice
Of you can pause up to 20 or so minutes that will likely be acceptable for me. I generally watch any cable shows the same night but I don't start them at air time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I did find the android app, but not directly in the play store (it may be up in search now).

I went to directvnow.com in the browser and when I went to watch it directed me to it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I registered for the free trial, but I can't find an app for it on my iPhone or Apple TV. I went to their site on my iPhone and it had a link to the app which said was not available in the U.S. Store...so I can't even watch this so far.

Downloaded app on Amazon fire tv using the free trial.
Guide setup is pretty sweet as you can add favorites.
Not all channels are hd such as cspan and FXM which is to be expected since these are not HD on DIRECTV.
You CAN pause live tv on all channels. Not sure how long though. No other dvr functions as expected though.
The pq is not as good as vue. Especially sports. Very similar to Sling tv. Remember too pq will probably change from different devices. I'll play with it a bit but my first impression is it is solid. Very good UI. Pq is lacking for my taste but hopefully that will improve.

Thats a shame, I was hoping they would have very good PQ...

Maybe time for a Directv Now forum?

Reactions: reddice
Thats a shame, I was hoping they would have very good PQ...

Maybe time for a Directv Now forum?

The pq issues I see are with sports. Video noise similar I saw with sling tv. Otherwise the pq is pretty good on non sports channels.
I agree. DIRECTV Now forum is needed.

The pq issues I see are with sports. Video noise similar I saw with sling tv. Otherwise the pq is pretty good on non sports channels.
I agree. DIRECTV Now forum is needed.

Good to know. I mean to be honest, I have been happy with sling for what we use it for, on a 65", so the $35 for 100 channel lock in with free ATV is very appealing.

Good to know. I mean to be honest, I have been happy with sling for what we use it for, on a 65", so the $35 for 100 channel lock in with free ATV is very appealing.

I'll keep Vue and cancel Now next week.
It's amazing what we pay for now and what we use to pay.
For almost the same experience!
It is very exciting times as far as pay tv goes.

It is pretty neat. Ill be curious to see how pay tv providers with experience do against Sony long term. I have my doubts with Sony, they tend to screw things up.

It is pretty neat. Ill be curious to see how pay tv providers with experience do against Sony long term. I have my doubts with Sony, they tend to screw things up.

I agree.
Good products but bad marketing and high prices on high end products have been Sony's problems for years.
If these formats were contract induced I would probably not touch any of them.

I agree.
Good products but bad marketing and high prices on high end products have been Sony's problems for years.
If these formats were contract induced I would probably not touch any of them.

Very true.

Cnet has a nice channel comparison, and looks like Sling Orange + Blue vs Go Big (at $35) is a no brainer to swap and get locked in as long as the new SLing DVR feature is not important. Also get all the ESPN's without an xtra package, HBO and Max for $5 each too. I can get Show and Starz thru Amazon for $9/month when I need them, so no big deal. Directv is definitely being aggressive.

Reactions: Link
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 3 months and ATV from their site, for Go Big + max and hbo. I figure I get a free ATV, which allows me to do things in my HT I want to do, even if I wanna keep Sling. 3 months will give me plenty of time to decide. Also want to see if I can run two tv's on ESPN at the same time, something Sling wont let you do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)