Directv Onetime Free HD-DVR Upgrade to Valued Customers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack.

I guess there's not much of a chance of geting a refurb on the HR34 since it is newer.

So i can just be polite but persistent about having new equipment and tell him i need to reschedule?

I just can't be an a**hole to people unless they are that way first.

The HR34 is new and is totally different to Directv than a "HD DVR"

I get that (not much else, I must admit).

That's why I want the HR34 in my living room an HR24 in the master br (so I can also pause live tv in there) & a h25 for the kids room.

Although I see some info from D* saying you can pause live tv on the other tv's with just the HR34.

Last edited:
Fateswarning said:
I get that (not much else, I must admit).

That's why I want the HR34 in my living room an HR24 in the master br (so I can also pause live tv in there) & a h25 for the kids room.

Although I see some info from D* saying you can pause live tv on the other tv's with just the HR34.

Must have certain model Samsung tv's right now (smart tv) so it has the RVU clients. Everything else required either a 34 or an HDDVR

I'm SD only (old tivos) if I take this deal what installation costs am I to expect (replace 1 SD unit w/HD keep other SD), and what will it do to my monthly bill?

wont change the monthly bill

install varies..per above it says "I have the option of having a tech install it for $49 or have it shipped to me for $19. but you would have to log into your account to see what deal they give you

I noticed recently this offer was up on their website. The offer was for existing customers to receive one HD DVR free of charge. Having two HR23-700's already but being interested in the HR34 I called to see if there were any better offers on the HR34. I had called roughly mid March and the price was $199 but when I called late May the offer was made to receive a HR34 for $99 and they provided all the hardware for the upgrade including replacing my maxed out SWM8 to a SWM16 plus all installation cost were free of charge. I was also given a wireless adapter to connect the HR34 to my router. To make it even better I was discounted $10/month for one year but I'm also back on a 2 year agreement. All things considered I felt this was an outstanding offer.

I should have called Directv about this offer like all of you said. I ordered the HDDVR upgrade online for self-installation, then decided to call and see if BBC's were included and what type of receiver I would get. I was told it would be new equipment with BBC's included, and it would be arriving tomorrow by FedEx. I was then told there was a better offer for me...a complete upgrade of all receivers (includes one HDDVR and the rest HD receivers) plus whole home DVR upgrade with cinema connection kit, all for $52. That was too good to pass up, so I had to take advantage of the offer. I tried to cancel my online order, but obviously I couldn't since it was on it's way.

Now I will be receiving two HD-DVRs and two HD receivers. I currently have an HR20-700. I only need 4 receivers total. If both the new HDDVRs I receive are HR24s or better, should I still keep the HR20-700 in place of one of the HR receivers? Monthly cost will be the same, but will the HR20-700 soon be obsolete?

Last edited:
Monthly cost will be the same, but will the HR20-700 soon be obsolete?

The only thing not up to date about the HR20 is a smaller hard drive and no 3D capability. I don't care about the 3D part, and I use a 1TB external hard drive on my HR20 to have more storage capacity.

The only thing not up to date about the HR20 is a smaller hard drive and no 3D capability. I don't care about the 3D part, and I use a 1TB external hard drive on my HR20 to have more storage capacity.
Will the HR20 fit into the whole home system as an additional DVR?

That's good to know...I still have recorded programs on this DVR that I haven't watched yet.

Here is my current setup:

- I have a slimline satellite connected to a multiswitch with 6 lines running to receivers. The multiswitch is not a powered switch, but I do have a disconnected coax running from the switch outside to an electrical outlet inside my house (also not connected)...this powered a previous older switch.
- I have an HR20-700 DVR and a standard D10 DVR which both receive two lines, and two very old standard receivers that each receive a single line.
- My HD-DVR is connected to a bridge which communicates to a router connected to my computer/DSL in a room upstairs. Pretty basic setup really.

When they set up the whole home DVR with the cinema connection kit, what exactly will they be doing? How do they tie my internet connection to the whole home system?

Last edited:
Okay, I got off my arse and did a little research into how my MRV setup should go, contingent on the new receivers being HR24s and H24 with built-in deca.

- Install SWM LNB on my Slimline dish.
- Run a single RG6 cable from satellite LNB to my cable hub box in basement and connect to a SWS-8 MRV splitter.
- Run a single RG6 cable from basement box splitter to the HR24 in basement rec room and the H24 in the basement media room.
- Run single RG6 cable from basement box splitter to HR24 in 1st floor family room.
- Run single RG6 cable from basement box splitter to currently leased HD20-700 (with inline deca ethernet coax adapter) in 2nd floor master bedroom.
- Run single RG6 cable from basement box splitter to DECA BB Module in 2nd floor study. Will connect DECA BB Module to router with CAT5.

Is this how it is still done or am I missing newer technology?

Last edited:
7 tuners, so the LNB would be fine. Remember a power supply by a receiver and connected to the first port on the splitter. NO BBCs, if you have them they'll need to be removed.

Received the free HD-DVR upgrade today that I ordered for self-installation. You guys called it...a refurbished HR21-100, no hookups, no remote, just the unit and power cord. I called DTV 3 times to try to get something done about it, but no go. First woman didn't care that I was told I'd receive a new unit, then tried to sign me up for more programming...I finally gave up on her. The second man completely understood and transferred me to equipment personnel (after trying to sell me more programming), then I was promptly disconnected by the equipment woman in mid sentence. The third time I went directly to equipment personnel and although he understood my problem better, didn't offer any solution other than to see if the tech will swap it out for me tomorrow when he comes to upgrade me to whole home dvr.

Long story short, it looks like I'll either get lucky and swap out the HR21for newer equipment and eat the $20 shipping fee I paid to receive it, or get a remote from the tech and use the thing. Hopefully the tech isn't planning to install refurbished units for my MRV upgrade.

Next time I'll listen to what all of you tell me and not take the gamble. ;)

Just got the same offer

I have three different offer options:

1. HR34 for $199 with free installation and free internet connection kit.
  2. A free HD DVR by itself (no guarantee which one I would get) with no installation charge, just a $20 shipment self install fee
  3. A free HD DVR (no guarantee which one I would get) with internet and whole home connection kit for free with $49 for installation and $3/month for whole home service.

All of these would require me to agree to two years.

mccoyrj said:
Received the free HD-DVR upgrade today that I ordered for self-installation. You guys called it...a refurbished HR21-100, no hookups, no remote, just the unit and power cord. I called DTV 3 times to try to get something done about it, but no go. First woman didn't care that I was told I'd receive a new unit, then tried to sign me up for more programming...I finally gave up on her. The second man completely understood and transferred me to equipment personnel (after trying to sell me more programming), then I was promptly disconnected by the equipment woman in mid sentence. The third time I went directly to equipment personnel and although he understood my problem better, didn't offer any solution other than to see if the tech will swap it out for me tomorrow when he comes to upgrade me to whole home dvr.

Long story short, it looks like I'll either get lucky and swap out the HR21for newer equipment and eat the $20 shipping fee I paid to receive it, or get a remote from the tech and use the thing. Hopefully the tech isn't planning to install refurbished units for my MRV upgrade.

Next time I'll listen to what all of you tell me and not take the gamble. ;)

It's still not a promise you won't get a used HR24 or lower for your upgrade. Currently all I have on my truck is refurbed HR24's and H25's

It's still not a promise you won't get a used HR24 or lower for your upgrade. Currently all I have on my truck is refurbed HR24's and H25's
Well, since it's basically free equipment and definitely an upgrade to the older std receivers I have, I can't complain...still a good deal. Hopefully DTV will replace the upgrade equipment for me free of charge if it craps out too soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts