Directv PQ... Is It Just Me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is going to sound like I am kind of contradicting myself when it comes to store setups, but some of the specialty stores have special viewing areas that are set up failry close to how a home setup would be. If you could find one of those, they will generally let you adjust and view how you like. Still not as good as a home experience, but close.
No you're not. I'd trust a tweeter setup much more than I would a Costco or a BB/CC set up.

Well after spending considerable time adjusting my TV I have a beautiful picture once again. Not sure what changed to cause me to have to do that but the problem is solved. Thanks guys!

This is going to sound like I am kind of contradicting myself when it comes to store setups, but some of the specialty stores have special viewing areas that are set up failry close to how a home setup would be. If you could find one of those, they will generally let you adjust and view how you like. Still not as good as a home experience, but close.

No you're not. I'd trust a tweeter setup much more than I would a Costco or a BB/CC set up.

You guy's are very correct, the BB, CC type places are a very bad idea to actually see how the set looks, they have miles of cable and you don't know how many times the signal has been split to get to the 150 TV's.
Your's will not have any of that to deal with, very little anyways.

Go to a A / V specialty shop that you like, check out what they have set up.
They too have splitters and cable runs, but they are set up for the most accurate picture possible.
They also will know how to set the TV's up correctly.
Keep in mind, your eye will see differently than the next guy.
You can still have two different techs setting up the TV and have PQ be quite different, same goes for audio.

Jimbo

What did you find ?

Jimbo

I'm not entirely sure. I adjusted a bunch of stuff. Turned off all the auto picture control stuff on my TV and adjusted contrast and sharpness settings. I ordered a calibration DVD. When I get that I will adjust further. Sorry I can't be more specific but there are way too many settings on TVs these days!

I'm not entirely sure. I adjusted a bunch of stuff. Turned off all the auto picture control stuff on my TV and adjusted contrast and sharpness settings. I ordered a calibration DVD. When I get that I will adjust further. Sorry I can't be more specific but there are way too many settings on TVs these days!

I had trouble with my RG-6 cables that I had made that ran from the wall to the receiver. I was getting artifacts and lose of picture with small rain storms. I call D* out thinking the sat needed to be adjusted since the signal strength was a little low. He adjusted it a little. Checked my RG-6 cable and said I have left the ends to long. So he put new terminators on the cables. I've not had a problem since. I don't know if it was from adjusting the dish or redoing the RG-6 or both. But it has helped.

Looks better than cable and E* on my 110" projection screen. On the new OTA channels (Dayton) I think the OTA is better in terms of color, but both seem about as sharp.

I have a top rated Panasonic TH-50PZ800U and sometimes I notice a difference in quality too, but not nearly as bad as you describe. For instance, with Sunday Ticket, some weeks the HD quality is mind blowing and other weeks I notice slight picture problems relative to the mind blowing quality the prior week. I never thought it was D* or the television, but the source, and simply that some programs are recorded with higher quality HD equipment than others. If HD NET records in 1080 and ESPN in 720, then I would expect HD NET to have a better picture, and they always seem to. I suspect some of the Sunday Ticket games are in 1080 and others in 720 too, which accounts for the quality differences I see from week to week. I could be entirely wrong about that but I'm guessing not.

I should have read your post more thoroughly the first time. You said virtually all channels so you obviously have something else going on. I never have blurring or compression artifacts. D* is brilliant the vast majority of the time for me and the quality differences I see are extremely minor compared to yours.

I'm a current Dish customer and I'm really looking into Directv. I was wondering how SD looks on Directv? On Dish I can't even stand it anymore. I try to watch as much HD as possible but since I have NHL Center some of games are in SD and looks terrible on Dish. I have a 62" Philips projection tv and sometimes have to go watch my 20" RCA tube tv because it looks better. Anyone who has both or have tried both would probably help out the most on this one. Thanks for the help guys!

I have both... and like both... PQ is actually pretty close on HD, varies with SD... (which I try to avoid) SpikeHD CSI's on Directv compare favorably with the Network versions I get from Dish... (viacom channels) A&EHD is better on Dish imho (CSI Miami's) ScifiHD and USAHD it's a toss up... Premiums the same... SD is going to look better on a SD or smaller TV from both providers...

I switched from E* to D* and my experience is the opposite. I thought D*'s SD pic quality was a little better than E*'s, but I could tell zero difference in the HD quality of either. I hate watching SD channels after experiencing HD anyway. :)

I purchased Digital Video Essentials HD Calibration DVD. After using that my picture looks a lot better. Like jyafink though some channels are slightly better on different days/programs. I contribute that to the original source though. I highly recommend Digital Video Essentials to anyone who has not calibrated their TV it can make a huge difference. The odd thing to me is that my picture looked fine with my original settings up until a few weeks ago. I still wonder what changed to cause me to have to tweak my settings.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)