DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i just can't believe it, i am terribly disappointed. NO wgn, NO lifetime, mostly non-watchable sports rsns. i need to reevaluate my carrier choices. all this anticipation for what, THIS???

DirecTV also announced support for 1080p by years end.

As far as I know only the HR2x boxes have the chip set required to do this and it would only work via the HDMI port.:)

i just can't believe it, i am terribly disappointed. NO wgn, NO lifetime, mostly non-watchable sports rsns. i need to reevaluate my carrier choices. all this anticipation for what, THIS???

No need for lifetime as far as I'm concerned. I've had WGNHD for a while on Dish and the only thing I've seen on there in HD is cubs baseball. If you don't want the RSNs, then WGNHD is probably not a huge deal to you either (at least yet).

The release states:

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Among the new HD channels." This would indicate that it is not all the HD channels.

No need for lifetime as far as I'm concerned.

So I take it you dont' have a wife that's an HD freak??? Fox News anyone? Travel Channel? The other HBO channels? The bigger news is the mention of usign D-12 - the spare - to get to 200 channels.

The release states:

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Among the new HD channels." This would indicate that it is not all the HD channels.

Its a 30 channel launch. 4 listed channels, 3 PPV and 23 RSNs = 30.

Dude, about 12 days ago you just reupped for 2 freaking years. Your not going anywhere. But go ahead with your reevaluation. Let us know what you come up with.

Not a Good Kickoff

Wow, this really isn't much to celebrate.

The big news about the new satellite is 23 RSN's that show HD programming 3 hours a day if that?? And more PPV??

Based on my current setup, I'll see 2 new HD's out of this (ABCF and PG). Yeesh. As others noted, no Travel or Mojo???

Meanwhile, FIOS made their big bang today in NYC (100 HD's). I give my nod to Verizon for today's announcements. Just my opinion, of course.

Only in one city, okay, a big city, but no, one city doesn't count in my book. At least you got the right avatar. WE ARE PENN STATE!!

Amazing how HD spoiled we have become since D10 went live and added all those channels.

They in no way shape or form said that these were the only channels to be added on this new sat. They are probably doing this (as another poster stated) in preparation for the HD sports packages. Makes sense to me if that is the case. Big money packages that need to be taken care of.

So I take it you dont' have a wife that's an HD freak??? Fox News anyone? Travel Channel? The other HBO channels? The bigger news is the mention of usign D-12 - the spare - to get to 200 channels.

She doesn't watch Lifetime... she just watches stupid reality TV shows :mad:

Anyway... I'd be happy with all the rest you mentioned, and I suspect all will launch in time. They just won't happen right away...

Thats true, there will be more. Personally, I am more excited about the mpeg2 to mpeg 4 conversion!!!!:up

But its only 70% of our locals......... still cant tear down that antenna.

Thats true, and to be honest it really does not matter because I like the OTA anyways. I would like the option to be there though, when I buy a home Id like to not have to deal with the antenna anymore.

Count me among those disappointed with today's announcement. 23 HD RSNs that for the most won't do me any good while there are a whole slew of HBO/Cinemax and other HD Premiums just sitting there waiting to be added. Not to mention stuff like Travel Channel HD, AMC HD, and Fox News HD.

:down

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts