DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is the official answer I receied about the 23 RSNs in the press release from their corporate communications dept:

The release was in error on the RSNs - it should have read that we're launching an additional 12 Regional Sports Networks in HD. (as there are only 29 RSNs and we currently broadcast 17)
So for more detail: we are currently broadcasting 11 RSNs as 24/7 in HD. The 12 additional that we are launching 24/7 HD currently are HD games-only RSNs. We will continue to show HD games from the 5 other RSNs and there is one RSN (CSN West) which we currently do not have any HD programming but are working with them on getting HD games for later this year. That should bring the total to the 29 RSNs we carry.

Also - the list posted earlier that was mostly FSNs, I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy, given those have been in the data table since P Smith found his info and based on what was said today.

There you have it, officially, 12 more HD RSNs full time.
FSN Arizona
FSN Cincinnati
FSN Florida
FSN Midwest
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Pittsburgh
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
Sport South
Sun Sports

Cool. 2 of my rsn are on that list.

Direct should have caught this from the start. A lot of people around here were having panic attacks!!

Here is the official answer I receied about the 23 RSNs in the press release from their corporate communications dept:

Also - the list posted earlier that was mostly FSNs, I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy, given those have been in the data table since P Smith found his info and based on what was said today.

There you have it, officially, 12 more HD RSNs full time.
Thanks for confirming. Even though the source on the other site has never been wrong, it is still good to hear from others as well.

Thanks again for looking into the matter.

Thanks for confirming. Even though the source on the other site has never been wrong, it is still good to hear from others as well.

Thanks again for looking into the matter.

Glad I could get it verified. Satracer is very reliable, I've conversed with him outside the board as well - anything posted by him can be considered D* gospel :)

They replied to me about 8pm, I just wasn't around to get it back to you guys.

The real good news here is, to get 130 there is more channels coming beyond what they listed. Possibly agreements still in progress, or agreements that can't be disclosed until a certain date, or whatever, but there will be more coming.

23.... you knew what I meant.... you knew where I got it too... from the original article this whole thread is about.... come on now.

Why go after me like that??
Now after your first post was deleted due to profanity and name calling directed at me, why should I even respond to you?

Since you were a little nicer this time, I will.

It was not personal. It was simply a question. I have no idea why you are so angry. People do read these forums and may read your post incorrectly.

Anyway, the RSN situation is not as bad as we all originally thought. It is simply only 12 part time RSNs changing to full time status. A far cry from 30. If it is the number of RSNs that originally upset you, you should be happy to know that is no longer the case.

You should check out FIOS hd list for New York.

I have to say "very impressive"

I did and I agree, very impressive. Unfortunately the closest we have is the one-HD-at-a-time ATT Uverse, so I can only look to D* or E* for HD service.

Thanks Mike for the list, looked to me that was about all the 13 additional new HDs in the world to add:)

So with these 12 RSN's going 'full time' HD, how much more HD programming will be available (to those with Sports Pack that is)? My guess is a very minimal amount... for now until fall arrives. I understand the HD portion of professional sporting events, but what beyond that besides a few pre/post game shows? I understand the leap to make RSN's HD as HD broadcasts of sporting events are going up quite a bit this year with that facility in Houston being done.

So assuming all goes as planned are we looking at this Wed. July 30th as the day of the MPEG2 to the MPEG4 conversion?

So assuming all goes as planned are we looking at this Wed. July 30th as the day of the MPEG2 to the MPEG4 conversion?
Thursday is the day for something. I am assuming it is the conversion, but haven't received info on that yet. What ever is happening, it will be on Thursday.

DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader With 130 HD channels on Tap For Mid-August

DIRECTV Adding More Than 30 New HD Channels and is First To Offer All HD Programming in MPEG-4 AVC and Dolby Digital; Will offer HD Movies in 1080p Later This Year
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 28, 2007 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

DIRECTV will also transmit all of its HD programming in the MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding standard, by the end of this month - the first to do so in the industry. All HD programming will also be available in the Dolby Digital audio format, and later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Despite all the sound and fury of confusing HD claims from our competitors, our customers understand that DIRECTV is the destination for the most compelling and complete lineup of HD content," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our message is clear - DIRECTV is the content leader, and our delivery of the best quality HD via the most advanced technology is one way we continue to dominate this category and offer our more than 17 million customers nationwide an unparalleled entertainment experience."

In addition to its full lineup of linear HD channels, DIRECTV continues to lead the industry with the most sports HD programming available, by broadcasting exclusive, interactive sports packages like NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, NCAA® MEGA MARCH MADNESS™ and NASCAR HOTPASS™ all in crystal-clear HD. DIRECTV will also continue to add HD content to its newly launched DIRECTV on Demand platform.

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com/hd.

With the DIRECTV 11 satellite now part of the fleet and the launch of the DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200 national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new advanced programming services for customers nationwide.

WHAT!!!!!!!! 23 RSN'S !? WHY? How many DirecTV Subs get the Sports Pak? What a waste of Space! Their Satellite should have Blown Up on the Launch Pad! What a waste of money. instead of more Movie Channels and basic Channels that are now showing up on HD ( AMC, WGN, TRAVEL, ALL THE HBO'S AND CINEMAXS) They do this SH**. I am going to get only the Plus HD DVR pak from now on and not waste money in the Premiere pak for all these insignificant BS channels.

DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader With 130 HD channels on Tap For Mid-August
DIRECTV Adding More Than 30 New HD Channels and is First To Offer All HD Programming in MPEG-4 AVC and Dolby Digital; Will offer HD Movies in 1080p Later This Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 28, 2007 - DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

DIRECTV will also transmit all of its HD programming in the MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding standard, by the end of this month - the first to do so in the industry. All HD programming will also be available in the Dolby Digital audio format, and later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.

"Despite all the sound and fury of confusing HD claims from our competitors, our customers understand that DIRECTV is the destination for the most compelling and complete lineup of HD content," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our message is clear - DIRECTV is the content leader, and our delivery of the best quality HD via the most advanced technology is one way we continue to dominate this category and offer our more than 17 million customers nationwide an unparalleled entertainment experience."

In addition to its full lineup of linear HD channels, DIRECTV continues to lead the industry with the most sports HD programming available, by broadcasting exclusive, interactive sports packages like NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, NCAA® MEGA MARCH MADNESS™ and NASCAR HOTPASS™ all in crystal-clear HD. DIRECTV will also continue to add HD content to its newly launched DIRECTV on Demand platform.

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com/hd.

With the DIRECTV 11 satellite now part of the fleet and the launch of the DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200 national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new advanced programming services for customers nationwide.

A correction from DirecTV regarding the HD RSNs:

They will be adding 12 full-time RSNs for a total of 23.
Not 23 new HD RSNs.

Please see this post for more info:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-hd-leader-130-hd-channels-9.html#post1461423

WHAT!!!!!!!! 23 RSN'S !? WHY? How many DirecTV Subs get the Sports Pak? What a waste of Space! Their Satellite should have Blown Up on the Launch Pad! What a waste of money. instead of more Movie Channels and basic Channels that are now showing up on HD ( AMC, WGN, TRAVEL, ALL THE HBO'S AND CINEMAXS) They do this SH**. I am going to get only the Plus HD DVR pak from now on and not waste money in the Premiere pak for all these insignificant BS channels.

Dude, chill out. Read back a few posts and you will see the clarification on the "23 RSN's". It's only 12 RSN's that are affected (going from game-only HD to full-time HD). And lots of subs get the sports pack. Don't know the exact numbers, but remember that D* continues to advertise itself as the leader in sports programming/delivery. It is their bread and butter. But there will still be plenty of HD National channels to dole out as we go forward. And the other big issue is the conversion of all those MPEG2 HD channels t MPEG4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)