DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Epic. I love how whenever Charlie is planning a big unveiling, D* comes out of the woodwork and gets him in the gut.

I should get a hold of a Dish CSR and see how long it will take to convince them that they're not the HD leader? :p

WHAT!!!!!!!! 23 RSN'S !? WHY? How many DirecTV Subs get the Sports Pak? What a waste of Space! Their Satellite should have Blown Up on the Launch Pad! What a waste of money. instead of more Movie Channels and basic Channels that are now showing up on HD ( AMC, WGN, TRAVEL, ALL THE HBO'S AND CINEMAXS) They do this SH**. I am going to get only the Plus HD DVR pak from now on and not waste money in the Premiere pak for all these insignificant BS channels.
Read the bottom of the post that you quoted.......Or any of the many posts right before you said this.

Not impressive if you ask me. Full time RSNs (when from my understanding catch nearly all the games already)? Planet Green? ABC Family? No Travel, Fox News, ESPNU, Comedy Central, complete Premiums, Voom, etc.?

I guess I have less reasons to switch than I thought I would. I would particularly miss Travel.

And weren't they counting the RSNs before? So how does adding them again as full time stations make them have 130? Sounds a little like Dish math.

They misstated the info about the HD RSNs in that press release. They are adding their last 12 remaining part time HD RSNs and going full time on them. Therefore, out of 35 (or more) additional HD, 12 will be RSNs. Currently they have 95 HD channels, to get to 130 they have to get at least 35 more. They have capacity coming online this week to go to 150 (probably a few more with the changeover of MPEG2 to MPEG4 HD channels) national HD channels.

I'm sorry but all companies are full of propaganda. We have this or we have that. In my world (simple as it may be) I do not count RSN's, PPV , Shopping or channels that have more than 8 hours of paid programming as part of a line up..When it comes down to it, all carriers have about the same line up, yes there are a few differences between them. What it comes down to, is who you want to deal with and what equipment you want...

I'm sorry but all companies are full of propaganda. We have this or we have that. In my world (simple as it may be) I do not count RSN's, PPV , Shopping or channels that have more than 8 hours of paid programming as part of a line up..When it comes down to it, all carriers have about the same line up, yes there are a few differences between them. What it comes down to, is who you want to deal with and what equipment you want...

Fully agree... I am getting D* installed today because I needed a 2nd HD-DVR, so I was going to have a 24 month commitment either way I went. After looking at all the info, I figured if I was going to have a 24 month commitment I'd rather be at the place that has the capacity in place now, not a place that has a long way to go before they can truly match the capacity of their competitors. I don't see E* having room for 150 national HD for over a year at the earliest, which at the same time D* will be putting another satellite in place to get to 200 national HD.

It doesn't hurt that I will save about $300 over the 2 years as compared to my current deal with E*, even with me paying $200 up front. My locals in HD were announced yesterday which is just gravy on top...

Both companies have comparable HD programming right now, but when making a 24 month commitment I had to weigh all the information I could.... the safer bet was D* in my situation.

Edit: By the way, had the Voom channels still be with E* the decision would have been easy, I'd have been gone without 2nd thought to D*. The fact that E* dropped Voom and is adding all the channels this week made it a lot harder of a decision as to stay or go.

This sat is also going to give locals to lots of new markets. Just because Directv is not activating all national HD channels next month doesnt mean they wont. They are quite busy right now with dozens of new local HD markets, RSNs, MPEG4 cutover of MPEG2 HD channels, NFL Sunday Ticket all in MPEG4 HD, etc. Its all good.

hmm...

• 4 weeks ago Dish announces 17 new HD channels in a retail chat for Fri August 1
  • The week Dish is supposed to light the 17, Direct announces that on Thurs Aug 14 - 35 more HD channels
  • There is another Dish retail chat scheduled for Thurs, August 7 (one week before Directs estimated launch date for their 30...)
One can hope we are going to be in for a fun couple of months...

Keep in mind HBO (and HBO-owned channels, would assume) are in the process of switching to MPEG4 transmission themselves. Best guess is that "delays" in announcing the newer channels from HBO are linked to setting up this new transmission to D*

Where did you get that?
My bad, I meant 30; from the original post of the press release it said:
Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.
If, by direct's accounting, they are at 95 right now; they would need to add 35 to get to 130. The number they give is "more than 30" so it could be 31 or it could be 35. Of course using words like "beginning" doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen on the 14th; much like dish's "soon" and "most" list earlier this year.

Keep in mind HBO (and HBO-owned channels, would assume) are in the process of switching to MPEG4 transmission themselves. Best guess is that "delays" in announcing the newer channels from HBO are linked to setting up this new transmission to D*

All 26 HBO/MAX channels became operational with an HD version in June. I think most of them (including all the newest ones) are MPEG4.

The Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 channels are the most important thing to me other than hdlils. I watch the older mpeg2 channels fairly often, so this make sme happy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts