DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry to disappoint but the same general discussion with a ton of negative comments are also going on over there with only an occasional back on topic from a mod which has been ignored.

yep totally...as someone posted its one of the wierdest days theyve ever seen there.

welp, two reboots did not bring the new channels. I can manually enter them and see them, but nothing in my guide on my H21. I am also missing the 750 channel range for the olympics as well.....

Time to call customer service.

I thought about posting a get back OT, or split parts to the WZ... but everyone has to vent sometimes... ;)
Another off topic post: When are you going to update the comparison chart to include our 18 new HD PPV channels?

And those other 4 channels that no one cares about? :p

Sorry to disappoint but the same general discussion with a ton of negative comments are also going on over there with only an occasional back on topic from a mod which has been ignored.

There's been negative comments over there but none from the mods that I've noticed. They seem to be toeing the party line over there. And for every negative comment, there is a lot of posts attacking that poster calling him/her a whiner and complainer. I've decided to stop posting there for now because I don't want an angry horde of posters descending on top of me for simply stating my opinion.

Mike I did not know you just dropped D*, did you have to pay early cancellation fee?

I still love D* but like you said the HR21s get me into trouble now because my wife cannot tolerate the slow remote action, she wanted to go back to the 622s, which was partly why I added E* back on with a 722 and the $29.99 HD Absolute pack right before E* stopped offering the pack two weeks ago.

But I am not cancelling D* because E* MPEG4 HDs are now all downrezzed after they "turbo-charged" my 722 a week ago. Before the turbo charge I was actaully thinking I may call D* to drop them, but now I will wait and see.

D* adding Travel Channel HD and all HBO/Starz HD suit, and many other new HDs out there will do a lot to keep me with them.

Yes, I did have to pay a cancellation fee. It was a big mess and I was told by Carlos the csr that it would be $240.00 to break my contract. I then cancelled and Carlos said I would see $240.00 charged to my credit card. Well the next day I see $420.00 instead. I called retention and he said yes that was a mistake and it should be only $380.00. I am still waiting on the $40.00 credit that the retention guy said would be coming. He didn't care that I had Carlos name and number and that he had told me this total. He said there was nothing on my account to support what Carlos said. I learned from that experience . I won't be doing business ever again with them . Have had Directv twice in the last 5 years. This is the first time I ever cancelled . I truely hated their hd dvr and the remote control was an ergonomic nightmare as well. Did like their video on demand features though. DISH is starting to try to match the free stuff online in their tv entertainment features under the dishonline feature.

I am very satisfied with what DISH has now in the way of hd. I get the premium channels that I wanted in HD and all the nationals that I wanted except FX. I can wait on FX. I also am happy with my 2 -722 dvrs and my 622 on my main account. THe best damn dvr I have ever owned. I can record 3 shows at the same time(1ota/2 sat) download a FREE tv entertainment event online, transfer a movie to my external hard drive and watch something else recorded on my tv 1 tuner and or watch another event on tuner 2 in the bedroom in dual mode, all at the same time. I know that DIRECTV could never match all of that. I also want the new 722-K that is supposed to come out this fall . It will allow you to record two ota channels and 2 sat channels or 4 things at the same time. The new 722-S coming out next year with slingblade, will have 1 terabyte of internal hard drive and you can sling video /audio to another room in the house in sd or hd. Not to mention sling clips to someone you know with a comparable dvr in their house. DISH has the best cutting edge dvrs now. No one else comes close.

I think that once I go to the eastern arc for all my satellite reception using the 1000.4 sat dish for 61.5 /72.7/77 sat slots , for all mpeg 4 service, that the video quality will definately improve. I am supposed to get the new dish next week. I only will need the new smart cards to be able to use the new dish and I am all set.

When E* added WGN HD in June, I thought about getting their $30 HD only pack just to watch the Cubs. I said, nah, D11 would be up in mid-August, I'll wait.

Well, here we are, mid-August, and they only had agreements to add TWO non-premium channels. TWO.

Anyone whose primary package doesn't include showtime, or frequently watch PPV, has every right to show some disappointment today.

Like I said earlier, they've known for a long time when this sat would be ready, they simply weren't proactive in their agreements. To me that is poor execution in their programming department.

As for mods elsewhere, I don't know if they toe a party line. I think every staff member here is more than frank when it comes to voicing our opinions. That is part of what makes Satelliteguys different.

Back to my opinion. Outside of sports, there are only 2 channels I have watched series on this late-summer.

TNT - Closer - in HD, and very nice in MPEG4.
AMC - Mad Men - and it looks terrible.

Other than that, I mostly watch baseball. And with the Tigers implosion, I'm watching the Cubs. Even with Extra Innings, there is still a around 2 games a week in just SD, being on WGN with no alternate team HD feed. Not good for a sports leader.

So personally, I'm a bit frustrated, given there hasn't been much for me to watch this summer, and two channels I was REALLY looking forward to didn't happen.

Yes, I did have to pay a cancellation fee. It was a big mess and I was told by Carlos the csr that it would be $240.00 to break my contract. I then cancelled and Carlos said I would see $240.00 charged to my credit card. Well the next day I see $420.00 instead. I called retention and he said yes that was a mistake and it should be only $380.00. I am still waiting on the $40.00 credit that the retention guy said would be coming. He didn't care that I had Carlos name and number and that he had told me this total. He said there was nothing on my account to support what Carlos said. I learned from that experience . I won't be doing business ever again with them . Have had Directv twice in the last 5 years. This is the first time I ever cancelled . I truely hated their hd dvr and the remote control was an ergonomic nightmare as well. Did like their video on demand features though. DISH is starting to try to match the free stuff online in their tv entertainment features under the dishonline feature.

I am very satisfied with what DISH has now in the way of hd. I get the premium channels that I wanted in HD and all the nationals that I wanted except FX. I can wait on FX. I also am happy with my 2 -722 dvrs and my 622 on my main account. THe best damn dvr I have ever owned. I can record 3 shows at the same time(1ota/2 sat) download a FREE tv entertainment event online, transfer a movie to my external hard drive and watch something else recorded on my tv 1 tuner and or watch another event on tuner 2 in the bedroom in dual mode, all at the same time. I know that DIRECTV could never match all of that. I also want the new 722-K that is supposed to come out this fall . It will allow you to record two ota channels and 2 sat channels or 4 things at the same time. The new 722-S coming out next year with slingblade, will have 1 terabyte of internal hard drive and you can sling video /audio to another room in the house in sd or hd. Not to mention sling clips to someone you know with a comparable dvr in their house. DISH has the best cutting edge dvrs now. No one else comes close.

I think that once I go to the eastern arc for all my satellite reception using the 1000.4 sat dish for 61.5 /72.7/77 sat slots , for all mpeg 4 service, that the video quality will definately improve. I am supposed to get the new dish next week. I only will need the new smart cards to be able to use the new dish and I am all set.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I don't crave the extra features on the 622/722 as much as you do, I even learned how to work with my HR21s, except the wife hates the slowness of the remote, reminds her those Moto Comcast HDDVRs we had before we went with E* years ago.

I don't know why the slow remote response issue. Even more puzzling is why still no HBO/Starz HD packs. D* was so much faster in adding new HDs since 10/07, it is just not something we have been used to anymore.

Good luck, it seems E*'s DVRs meet your taste in the new hardware features more. I just thought the D* cancellation department should have done a better job not to burn the bridge.

Even more puzzling is why still no HBO/Starz HD packs.

While D* is woefully short with it's HBO/Max packages, what is D* missing in the Starz! pack. E* and D* have the exact same Starz! HD channels. E* has 1 Encore HD channel and D* doesn't have it but I consider Starz! and Encore separate.

I guess you missed the news about E*'s website being updated last week that said they would have 1080P VOD. They pulled it down later, but don't buy into the D* hype too much. 23 RSNs and 3 PPV...oh boy. :(

Settle down there dish boy. There is a time to argue and a time to sit and wait. Dish people need to sit and wait. As of right now E cant hold a candle to D when it comes to HD.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I don't crave the extra features on the 622/722 as much as you do, I even learned how to work with my HR21s, except the wife hates the slowness of the remote, reminds her those Moto Comcast HDDVRs we had before we went with E* years ago.

I don't know why the slow remote response issue. Even more puzzling is why still no HBO/Starz HD packs. D* was so much faster in adding new HDs since 10/07, it is just not something we have been used to anymore.

Good luck, it seems E*'s DVRs meet your taste in the new hardware features more. I just thought the D* cancellation department should have done a better job not to burn the bridge.

I agree with that on the retention department . I even told him that I wouldn't of cancelled if I knew it was going to be 420.00 instead of 240.00. I would of just dropped down to the family pack and waited out my contract. He made NO attempt to work out a deal or rectify the situation. He was quite cool and didn't care one way or another. What a difference in attitude from a year ago before they added all the hd channels.

Settle down there dish boy. There is a time to argue and a time to sit and wait. Dish people need to sit and wait. As of right now E cant hold a candle to D when it comes to HD.

Once D* adds the HBO's, more Cinemeax, WGN, Travel Channel, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, Hallmark Movie Channel etc then you can say Dish doesn't hold a candle to D*. Direct adds PPV and RSN's ... big deal! D* also added Planet Green and ABC Family ... Dish already had them! We need the above channels and Fox News to do real bragging!

Have had both this year until the end of JUNE. I no longer have Directv since I felt that they weren't for me due to numerous issues with their clunky hd dvr and remote control. It is a public forum and as a supporter and member of this board I can discuss what ever topic I wish to. It is still a free country last time I looked. So Any satellite issues or additions by EITHER sat company, I will discuss If I want to.

Thankyou very much. :mad:

You have a perfect right to be wrong as much and as often as you'd like.

I'll defend that right forever!;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts