Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I was looking at lyngsat and saw the directv satellites. My question is:

I know that dishnetwork uses 2 or 3 satellites. 61.5, 119, 110

I was always under the impression that directv has all its programming in one satellite only. But I found other directv in lyngsat. How many do they use? I see on the roofs that the directv dishes have 3 lnbs does it mean it is getting 3 satellites? The dish does not look skewed like the dishnetwork ones.

I was always under the impression that directv has all its programming in one satellite only. But I found other directv in lyngsat. How many do they use? I see on the roofs that the directv dishes have 3 lnbs does it mean it is getting 3 satellites? The dish does not look skewed like the dishnetwork ones.

You must live either in Texas or somewhere due north. The satellite aimed at is about south of Texas, therefore no skewing from that area. There are six satellites that Directv uses, although one is being phased out. The main ones are 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. 101 has the core programming in sd, 99 and 103 carry most of the hd channels. 110 has only a few channels, and 119 carries mostly local sd channels.

D* actually has 7 orbital slots they are as follows...72.5,95.99.101,103,110,119. Core programing from the 101,HD from 99,103. some markets use 72.5 for locals which are being phased out. 110 and 119 for spanish channels and the 95 for international.

You must live either in Texas or somewhere due north. The satellite aimed at is about south of Texas, therefore no skewing from that area. There are six satellites that Directv uses, although one is being phased out. The main ones are 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. 101 has the core programming in sd, 99 and 103 carry most of the hd channels. 110 has only a few channels, and 119 carries mostly local sd channels.
that is not true i am a tech in texas and we do use a skew setting for the most part on the slimline its around 80 to 90.

Actually DirecTV hsa a bunch of satellites:

- 101, DirecTV 4S and DirecTV8: This is where the core SD programming comes from, the old single LNB dish looks here.

- 110, DirecTV 5: has been used for the old MPEG2 HD channels on three transponders. The HD channels there are being replaced by MPEG4 versions on other satellites

- 119, DirecTV 7S: has a bunch of SD spot beams for local into local coverage. There's also a number of CONUS transponders used for some international programming channels and more old MPEG2 HD channels also being replaced by MPEG4 versions on other satellites.

- 103, Spaceway1 and DirecTV10: This is 1/2 of the Ka satellites that DirecTV has for MPEG4 HD national local channels and some SD local channels.

- 99, Spaceway2 and DirecTV11, same function as 103.

- 72, DirecTV 1R at a leased Canadian spot: Being used for some SD local channels. The lease experation is coming up on this and the SD channels here are being migrated to other satellites.

- 95, Galaxy 3C: DirecTV is leasing space on this satellite for addional international channels.

Hope that helps (and I didn't make many mistakes on it).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)