Directv Slimline for FTA

gabewinches

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
I have been trying to get signal for a while now from Galaxy 19. I bought a lnb bracket and clamped it to the lnb arm and have it in the same place as the old lnb. Its a universal lnb and have the settings set to 9750/10600 in my Amiko hd265 receiver. Mast is plumb, any suggestions? My zip is 06484. Am I better off getting a 90 cm dish as a starter?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 364
Appears that the LNBF might be too close to the reflector and the LNBF is not skewed (rotated). The skew needs to be rotated counterclockwise 24.7 degrees (standing in front of the dish looking at the back of the LNBF).

Your Location
Latitude: 41.31°
Longitude: -73.14°

Satellite Data
Name: 97W GALAXY 19 (G-19)

Dish Setup Data
Elevation: 36.4°
Azimuth (true): 213.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 227.2°
LNB Skew [?]: 24.7°

The feedhorn opening cover is about even with the support arm where it begins to flare to the larger size feed support.

Here are a few shots of the slimline with the original feed.

20200722_132912[1].jpg 20200722_132710[1].jpg

The transponder needs to be set to an active TP. What TP is selected? I would suggest using 12152 Horizontal 20000 as it is not duplicated in that part of the sky and will not produce a false signal reading.

I have been trying to get signal for a while now from Galaxy 19. I bought a lnb bracket and clamped it to the lnb arm and have it in the same place as the old lnb. Its a universal lnb and have the settings set to 9750/10600 in my Amiko hd265 receiver. Mast is plumb, any suggestions? My zip is 06484. Am I better off getting a 90 cm dish as a starter?

Welcome to Satellite Guys gabewinches! Yes, when starting out you are definitely better off getting a 90cm dish. That being said, it does not mean what you are trying will not work. :) Check your lnbf skew. From your photo it appears the lnbf is not skewed (or not very much). Dishpointer.com shows skew for 97W at your location to be about 24.7 degrees. If you are skewing the whole dish to 24.7 then disregard. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I realized that I was not setting the elevation correctly, and when I set it properly, I was able to get 98% signal and about 75% quality

Good job! Glad you got it figured out. Now the fun begins :)

Not trying to high jack but I would love to go into more detail and theory on LNB vs dish skew. What got me thinking is take a look at the dish Orby TV uses. It's a dish that is wider then tall. Orby TV only uses vertical transponders for their service. The whole dish is skewed instead of just the LNB. What I'm thinking is a dish like the Slimline that is also wider then tall might get a stronger signal on vertical transponders if the whole dish was skewed instead of just the LNB. If this is the case then I would think there would be a loss on the horizontal transponders.

Seems like it would be fun to experiment with this.

The ratio of width or height does not provide gain of one polarity over the other. Surface area is surface area.

An increased horizontal axis width reduces interference from adjacent satellites, but it does not provide more signal gain for horizontal.polarity signals. A reflector with increased vertical axis does not increase gain on vertical polarity signals, but it would be more effective at attenuating ground noise.

The Orby reflector is skewed for two reasons. First, the LNBF cannot be rotated as it uses a fixed mount. Second, the reflector is undersized for the needs to be optimized for the application. Skewing the reflector to align the wider horizontal axis with the arc, provides increased rejection of adjacent satellite interference.

The Orby reflector is skewed for two reasons. First, the LNBF cannot be rotated as it uses a fixed mount. Second, the reflector is undersized for the needs to be optimized for the application. Skewing the reflector to align the wider horizontal axis with the arc, provides increased rejection of adjacent satellite interference.

Makes sense as Orby TV is on 117W and Dish Network has a torch at 119W.

When I was setting up my 76CM FTA dish for Orby TV I was a bit surprised that I was able to lock onto 117W. It has been working great but I did spend time getting every last bit of margin I could with little skew and focal adjustments.

Yes on all this plus a dish like a Slimline with the LNB parked perfectly H and V with respect to the reflector, and skewing the entire dish for cross pol will give you better adjacent satellite rejection compared to the same dish being perfectly horizontal and vertical with respect to the horizon and skewing just the LNB. This is because the wide part of the dish will be in line with the satellite arc and will give the best rejection of neighbor satellites.

The ratio of width or height does not provide gain of one polarity over the other. Surface area is surface area.

An increased horizontal axis width reduces interference from adjacent satellites, but it does not provide more signal gain for horizontal.polarity signals. A reflector with increased vertical axis does not increase gain on vertical polarity signals, but it would be more effective at attenuating ground noise.

Reactions: gabewinches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)